Makes me appreciate him even more... | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Makes me appreciate him even more...

memory man

āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Frank_Butcher":wp46tq56 said:
Bristol Rich":wp46tq56 said:
Vampires11":wp46tq56 said:
In Adams two L2 seasons we were on 16 and 18 points ................ but don't make a comparison unless it makes DA look worse than RL

Well as long as Lowe gets us up after 2 seasons in this league he will have achieved us much. Remember it's only mid September.

That's very funny given what was being said on this board last September.

I think the problem is the over enthusiasm displayed by Ryan Lowe which had set almost everybody's pulses racing. Many were expecting Argyle to be wiping the floor with teams from the off. Players' egos and ability being inflated and expectations raised far too high.

He would perhaps have been better off observing some new manager training manuals. Most fans would have accepted the first part of the season would be transitional (and some still do), but it wasn't portrayed that way and hence the backlash (from some).

Biggest worry for me is the fact that we are so one-dimensional. It's already clear that teams have set out - effectively - to nullify our style, yet Lowe seems to be very dogmatic about that style.
I agree that expectations were artificially high, but unfortunately that was then compounded by the encouraging results again Crewe, Colchester and Leyton Orient.

When I moved here 36 years ago my sons and I routinely watched Exeter, Torquay and Argyle in a rough rotation according to how the fixtures fell. Without even discussing it we emerged as greens and eventually looked down our noses at the other two clubs. Why? Because of our positive attacking, buccaneering style, first in the cup run, then under Dave Smith, followed of course by the Warnock and Luggy spells.

Iā€™ve not enjoyed the past three seasons, even the promotion somehow seemed underwhelming compared to previous promotions. Whatever the outcome this season I feel weā€™ve regained our mojo, and whilst there have been games where Iā€™ve been disappointed with the result, Iā€™m right back to looking forwarding to games again, and enjoying them whatever the outcome, As far as Iā€™m concerned normal service has been resumed.

May 1, 2011
Frank_Butcher":1x3ra8pf said:
Bristol Rich":1x3ra8pf said:
Vampires11":1x3ra8pf said:
In Adams two L2 seasons we were on 16 and 18 points ................ but don't make a comparison unless it makes DA look worse than RL

Well as long as Lowe gets us up after 2 seasons in this league he will have achieved us much. Remember it's only mid September.

That's very funny given what was being said on this board last September.

I think the problem is the over enthusiasm displayed by Ryan Lowe which had set almost everybody's pulses racing. Many were expecting Argyle to be wiping the floor with teams from the off. Players' egos and ability being inflated and expectations raised far too high.

He would perhaps have been better off observing some new manager training manuals. Most fans would have accepted the first part of the season would be transitional (and some still do), but it wasn't portrayed that way and hence the backlash (from some).

Biggest worry for me is the fact that we are so one-dimensional. It's already clear that teams have set out - effectively - to nullify our style, yet Lowe seems to be very dogmatic about that style.

To clarify then it's mid September on his 1st season, not his 4th. Plus in Adam's 3rd season we did very well to finish 7th but we had for the last 6-7 games ran out of steam and this carried into pre season and beyond.

Mar 23, 2008
Graham Clark":2iptnxmr said:
Statistics are only indicative rather than absolute. Even so they can inform.

Under Ryan Lowe this season Argyle have had 122 shots at goal over the 8 League games (source Footstats) with about a third on target.That is the fourth highest total in the 71 clubs in the EFL and second in League 2 behind Crawley (who have had 146!). Interestingly, the 15 shots per game average so far is above what Bury achieved over the course of last season (13).

In the previous two seasons under Adams Argyle achieved a season average of around 12 (last season) and 10 before that.

It can only be an indicator but it would appear that, on balance we have been more attacking, albeit on the premise that such an approach results in more shots at goal.

interestingly, Bury gained promotion with a points total of 1.7 points per game. If, and it may be a big if, we win on Tuesday and Saturday, we will be on target to do the same with 17 points from 10 games.

So far I have enjoyed every game I've seen Argyle play at Home Park this season. It is has been a far more joyous experience than some of the turgid displays and capitulations we saw last season. In my view, we are not very far off. We need a settled team and injuries have precluded that but with more purpose and balance on the right hand side.

With over 80% of the season ahead and a transfer window to go it is far too early for conclusive judgement on the merits or otherwise of Ryan Lowe's approach. Whilst more positivity is born out by the statistics ultimately it is points on the board as a reward for such an approach and that is where, notwithstanding the defensive lapses , we have fallen slightly short. I remain confident that Ryan Lowe and his team will address the issues and over the long run his approach will reap rewards in terms of points and performances - the statistics are an indicator of that..
Good Post and agree with much of that and as you say I don't think we are far away. A few too many square pegs in round holes but when they are sorted I think we can really kick on.

Sep 6, 2006
davie nine":ccxcuduq said:
demportdave":ccxcuduq said:
PL2 3DQ":ccxcuduq said:
Do we have a defensive coach because we keep conceding from crosses aimed into the same area?
Unless it's because Lowe accepts we will concede because the gameplan is to score more goals than the opposition.
Do we really need a defensive coach to tell people to stop crosses and to mark their players in our box?

Maybe it's just that our defenders aren't very good at defending.

What was badly lacking last season and is still a big problem is the lack of on-field leadership and defensive organisation.
There is a common factor in 4 of the goals that we have conceded since the Newport league match. They have all been scored by defenders. Howkins (Newport), Touray (Salford), Wheaton (Oldham) and Smith (Port Vale).
Canavan and Wootton seemed to start well but these goals seem to suggest that they are being outjumped by defenders who are sent forward with the sole objective of exposing this perceived weakness.
Josh Grant is adding pace to our defence but I am not sure that aerial challenges are one of his strengths.
Hopefully, Aimson will help to strengthen our defensive frailties when fully fit.
Then, of course, we need to start scoring goals up the other end.

Many goals at this level are scored with a decent delivery from a set piece and a good header. We did it a lot with Carey and Bradley for example. But we are NOT this season. Another concern. Its a helluva lot easier than trying to walk the ball in to the net.

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
I think a lot of you have very short memories - to say last seasons football was turgid is not true - look at all our home games in 2019.

Oxford Won 3-0 Played some great stuff
Coventry Won 2-1 Came from behind in an exciting game where Cov were excellent. Lameiras got 2 I remember HP Rocking
Walsall Won 2-1 Not such a good performance but a WIN
Pompey Draw 1-1 Fantastic GC10 free kick in another come from behind performance - great game
Rochdale Won 5-1 Another fantastic showing
Luton Draw 0-0 An entertaining draw that could have gone either way
Shrewsbury Won 2-1 Another home win although it needed a lot minute penalty. Great first 30 mins
Bristol R Draw 2-2 A pulsating game that we deserved to win - great entertainment though
Charlton Lost 0-2 Our first defeat of the year but ironically our best 45 mins - we were brilliant until GC10 missed pen
Barnsley Lost 0-3 Every team allowed an off day!!!
Scunthorpe Won 3-2 Pulsating

So I think apart from the Barnsley game the entertainment was far higher than anything Ive witnessed this season

Dec 16, 2004
Watched Argyle since 63.

Edmonds summary of our matches last season is about right in my opinion. Some of our play ( yes Carey and Lameiras ) was exciting and Ladapo's goals as well. We just kept on throwing it away. Also, Derek never enthused or connected with the fans.

I love the Lowe appointment and was/optimistic of great football and promotion.

Seen every home game and am a little disappointed. I don't really get what 5 yard passes forward, back, sideways, back, forward etc is achieving. The Mayor/Macfadzean link is good but appears to be all we have ATM. I don't call our style exciting. On top of that our back three is appalling. I wonder what our results would have been so far had we Macey in goal ( dread to think ).

I am, however, optimistic and love Lowe's enthusiasm and self belief. He knows this division and he worked it out last season so I am prepared to be patient but at the moment as Oldham, Newport and Port Vale worked out we are quite easy to play against.

May 8, 2011
Having spent the afternoon with Adams yesterday and with him paying for lunch, I certainly appreciate him even more.

justanotherfan

āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
HC Green":3tuvh43c said:
Having spent the afternoon with Adams yesterday and with him paying for lunch, I certainly appreciate him even more.

This bromance is now becoming nauseating, if your only intent is to sycophantingly post about Mr Adams then maybe you should start a blog of your own and leave the rest of us to support PAFC.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
lyndhurst13":1kmcr6ko said:
Watched Argyle since 63.

Edmonds summary of our matches last season is about right in my opinion. Some of our play ( yes Carey and Lameiras ) was exciting and Ladapo's goals as well. We just kept on throwing it away. Also, Derek never enthused or connected with the fans.

I love the Lowe appointment and was/optimistic of great football and promotion.

Seen every home game and am a little disappointed. I don't really get what 5 yard passes forward, back, sideways, back, forward etc is achieving. The Mayor/Macfadzean link is good but appears to be all we have ATM. I don't call our style exciting. On top of that our back three is appalling. I wonder what our results would have been so far had we Macey in goal ( dread to think ).

I am, however, optimistic and love Lowe's enthusiasm and self belief. He knows this division and he worked it out last season so I am prepared to be patient but at the moment as Oldham, Newport and Port Vale worked out we are quite easy to play against.
I think thatā€™s fair and Edmonds too has a good point. Some of the football, some of the time under DA was really good and some games very entertaining. He also signed some fantastic attacking players ā€“ Carey, Lameiras, Ladapo

Butā€¦ā€¦ but ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ the frustrating thing was just when you could see how good it could be his negative mindset would kick-in. How often were we winning a game then heā€™d make a defensive change that ended up having the opposite effect? The Rovers game last season (that effectively got us relegated) was a classic example amongst many similar. A terrific game, good atmosphere, we were playing well and deservedly took the lead ā€“ then with 15 minutes or so to go with us well on top he throws on an extra defender (Jones I think?) which seemed to completely disrupt our back line and surrendered our midfield superiorityā€¦ā€¦.so we concede a really soft goal right at the end :facepalm:

That was his problem ā€“ he was definitely a glass half empty man instinctively worrying about the opposition. How often did he start games at home against very mediocre teams with one up front and playing very deep then complain afterwards that the players werenā€™ā€™t following instructions and should have got forward more?

It is unfair to characterise his reign as being wholly boring, turgid, defensive football ā€“ it was sometimes exactly the opposite. Certainly that purple patch after Christmas in 2018 was quite exhilarating when Carey-Lameiras & Taylor were tearing teams apart (although even then he nearly always took Lameiras off for the last 20 minutes). But heā€™s remembered more for the cagey starts to games and his attempts to ā€˜see a game outā€™ that ended up biting us in the bum against clearly inferior opponents.

No Iā€™m more than happy to move on and see what RL can do ā€“ it will take time Iā€™m sure but I like what Iā€™ve seen and enjoy seeing us at least trying to play attacking, passing football even if it wonā€™t always work.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
HC Green":3sc47l49 said:

Table for 11 Sir? At the front of the restaurant or the back?

Well one of us will sit at the front on his own and the rest of us will stay at the back.

Very well Sir.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Pogleswoody":91jo0h5f said:
HC Green":91jo0h5f said:

Table for 11 Sir? At the front of the restaurant or the back?

Well one of us will sit at the front on his own and the rest of us will stay at the back.

Very well Sir.

Good one! :funny: