Lowe in talks with Argyle (Confirmed) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe in talks with Argyle (Confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokerite

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Mar 18, 2019
One massive potential problem, will he move his family to Plymouth? Forty years ago that was never in question. I lived fifty yards from the club house where Sunderland Managers would live. Disrupting a child's education was never considered an obstacle, Mother and children went where Father's job took him.
Nowadays it is often the case that a manager is living in an hotel or rented house, with his family two hundred miles away. Roy Keane never moved his family to the area and by the end was spending more time in Cheshire than the North-East. The Cowley brothers spent their first season at Lincoln with their families back in Essex. Both families relocated to Lincolnshire after that, showing real commitment to their jobs, and their success is plain to see.
Plymouth Argyle and Sunderland are at opposite ends of the country but share this difficulty, but if a man does move his family it shows he means business.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
My concern would be that we’d likely again be relying on north-west based players and having a manager with north-west roots.

Really think the long term answer for us is a combination of youth products and foreign imports. Of course, Lowe could be 1) very willing to relocate him and his family, and 2) be interested in exploiting the foreign market.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Hallett marked a requirement of any prospective manager to have a commitment to move to the area as the hiring intention is long term. So if Lowe agrees the role then its all been considered.

From the names being bandied around he's certainly the most impressive from what I've read.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Biggs":wyocb7l5 said:
My concern would be that we’d likely again be relying on north-west based players and having a manager with north-west roots.

Really think the long term answer for us is a combination of youth products and foreign imports. Of course, Lowe could be 1) very willing to relocate him and his family, and 2) be interested in exploiting the foreign market.

I think that’s a positive. I’m guessing we have our own contacts for this region from other sources so it works both ways. He’s got contacts from afar and hopefully we have some closer to home.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
davegreenarmy":11yuptee said:
nick623":11yuptee said:
Adams has a better win % than Lowe. This is also based on 4 times the number of games he has been in charge of compared with Lowe. He gets one promotion and all of a sudden he is the favorite. There is also 12 months compensation to sort out on his contract, taking more money out of the playing budget. We need to face up to the reality the club has been run on a shoestring budget for too long and that is the problem. We finished above Pompey last year with a budget 30% directly compared. We are in the bottom six of league 1 playing budgets. As Adams said to the Senior Greens just before he was sacked if I had the money of Sunderland I can promise you promotion. Coughlan also is being mentioned but his time at Southend ended in tears. This idea of the young forward thinking football manager is all well and good but I am afraid to say it is experience that counts in this game. Torquay United realised that just before it was too late.

If it is really a young forward thinking manager that is required then how about a man who captained us, Manchester City, Huddersfield, and Blackpool. Has worked as an assistant manager and manager. Has led his team as manager to the Scottish Challenge Cup Final. Has led his team to their highest ever place in their league. Has won a cup and led his team to UEFA Europa League. He has been inducted in the hall of fame at numerous of his previous clubs. He is tough and hard and his autobiography brings tears to your eyes. He has green blood through and through. He is the type of man I would like to lead our club.

Who’s this you’re citing?

Obviously Jock Morrison, his autobiography is a moving, warts and all acount, passionate young manager.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Rokerite":j5pn9t2i said:
One massive potential problem, will he move his family to Plymouth? Forty years ago that was never in question. I lived fifty yards from the club house where Sunderland Managers would live. Disrupting a child's education was never considered an obstacle, Mother and children went where Father's job took him.
Nowadays it is often the case that a manager is living in an hotel or rented house, with his family two hundred miles away. Roy Keane never moved his family to the area and by the end was spending more time in Cheshire than the North-East. The Cowley brothers spent their first season at Lincoln with their families back in Essex. Both families relocated to Lincolnshire after that, showing real commitment to their jobs, and their success is plain to see.
Plymouth Argyle and Sunderland are at opposite ends of the country but share this difficulty, but if a man does move his family it shows he means business.

Fair points I think.

I mentioned relocation concerns earlier but got told by some it wasn't a factor. They could be right as Lowe could easily just have tried Walsall or Scunthorpe jobs which would have been less disruptive to family life.

So hopefully he recognised we offer something they don't and wants to show what he can do away from his " comfort zone ".

May 7, 2019
Bury have played some really attractive football this season (for League Two!) so that would be a big positive for me. It's also successful attractive football as they got promoted. Another tick in the box as Lowe will know what works in League Two and the strengths and weaknesses of most of the teams in the league.

My biggest concern is the terrible defending by Argyle this season. Attractive football is great but I really want to see the defence improved - possibly a defensive coach appointed to really work with the back 4/5? I know you can't have it all but you're never going to win games with such a poor defensive record.

Sep 6, 2006
PMPilgrim":3svyx6bl said:
He’s had 1 successful season at a club with little expectation or pressure.

This club are also in dire financial circumstances implying they have overspent on wages so possibly they signed players they couldn’t afford.

He’s given the obligatory “100% commitment” comment as the alternative is “I’m happy with players who give up when we are 1-0 down”.

He might be the next big thing but he might have just had some lucky breaks this year.

What we need is an intellectually astute manager. Outsmart those on bigger budgets.

We only find that out at interview.

Im not convinced being intellectually astute is the prime consideration. Having contacts/the ability to network, personality, and an eye for potential are just as important.

Sep 19, 2015
People questioning Ryan Lowes links and ability to recruit. The guy got Jordan Rossiter on loan from Rangers, thats a massive coup for a club like Bury

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
PlymouthCasual":1rm0jp5d said:
People questioning Ryan Lowes links and ability to recruit. The guy got Jordan Rossiter on loan from Rangers, thats a massive coup for a club like Bury

That is because he is a long time friend of Steve Gerrard so we might get similar loans from Rangers should he be appointed.

Mar 16, 2009
London
PMPilgrim":1dbifvlh said:
He’s had 1 successful season at a club with little expectation or pressure.

This club are also in dire financial circumstances implying they have overspent on wages so possibly they signed players they couldn’t afford.

He’s given the obligatory “100% commitment” comment as the alternative is “I’m happy with players who give up when we are 1-0 down”.

He might be the next big thing but he might have just had some lucky breaks this year.

What we need is an intellectually astute manager. Outsmart those on bigger budgets.

We only find that out at interview.

Agree with everything you say here PMP.
Would like to add, experience of managing at a higher level should be high on a list of priorities too, unless we’re just looking short term.

Experience experience experience. In that order.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Quintrell_Green":3gswtgvi said:
I know Lowe looks an interesting prospect and appears to have a strong personality. Having said all that, if we were to turn the clock back to the time of Shezza's departure back up north, and Argyle were seeking a replacement manager, and they had 2 applications side by side from, DA and Lowe, would we really be excited about the latter in comparison to DA's. This is obviously without bringing any hindsight into the selection process. The point I am trying to make, is this, is Lowe a sufficiently strong candidate for Argyle's needs? Personally, I think not, but as the Directors are fishing for a replacement in a sea of candidates with flaws somewhere on their CV's, at this stage, I do not know who to suggest. Football managership is a funny old occupation because managers can make a balls-up with one club but can be successful at others..

I take your point, but when we were looking to replace Sheridan, it was reported that we were considering Derek Adams (track record) and Nathan Jones (unproven) and I said at the time that Jones would be the more exciting appointment, if a little risky. If the board had the use of a time machine, would they make a different choice?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
IJN":26tsd6tn said:
I would say 'definitely not'.
To what exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.