Let's be honest. It's all about budgets. | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Let's be honest. It's all about budgets.

Apr 1, 2009
If course I am not privy to transfer negotiations so can't give specific caes. However if you are young player who is offered a transfer to Plymouth or to a team in the areas mentioned who are you going to choose? A team where you can be noticed by many other higher placed team . Or, when you look at the map, we are so far away from football who do you sensibly choose? If you are older and only have a few years left do you move your family to the other end of the country when you can stay where you are and move to a choice of 5 or 6 nearby?
Ok, I accept the assumption, and in a lot of cases it's probably right. But, taken to the extreme, we'd only ever get players that no one else wanted. It's an assumption that, unless it is challenged, quickly becomes fact - indeed almost weekly there is a post saying players won't come here, they never have, they never will.

Fortunately some players do want to come here, that shows it is possible, and often they love it down here once they have arrived. If some will come, then it's possible more will, particularly if the Club continues to project itself positively. I'm obviously not claiming that every player will see us as an attractive option, but I'd love to throw away the assumption that we are too far away.

Sep 2, 2008
I discussed this with someone else on here last week. I accept that our location is an issue, but frankly no one knows to what extent this is the case, and it's therefore a subject that's easy to whinge about.

You say nothing has changed in 50 years - How do you know that? Did you ask a load of footballers about it 50 years ago, and another lot now? Can you actually name five players offered terms by Argyle in the last 5 years who have declined specifically due to our location? Can you actually name a single player to whom this applies?
I can think of two straight off the top of my head if that helps - Antoni Sarcevic and Callum Macfadzean

Jul 12, 2016
We are situated in the SW and this will never change.We can keep harping on about this apparent disadvantage or just get on with it. We have always attracted players or we wouldn't be here !
It's similar to those who say we won't get to the Championship because we can't afford it. If we feel defeated before we start because players are not willing to join us or we do not have enough money to compete we just as well give up now.

Reactions: xmastree and Andy S
Sep 6, 2006
Whats the situation signing European players now? That's how we signed quality players good enough for Championship last time.

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
It is a multi faceted problem. Its not all about budgets but sadly budget makes a massive difference in the quality you have to assemble a competitive 11 with another 7 on the bench.

I think Dewsnips contacts and knowledge should give us a head start on any potential youth players from the set ups he has in depth knowledge of.

As someone said earlier this seasons League One is brutal. There are some big clubs at the top and under us there's 3 or 4 traditionally massive clubs. It's Division 3 and to me it has the quality of a Division 2 of 25 years ago.

Football has got better all round. Every area has improved. Everything. The days of finding a wee nuggets no one knows of are long gone because of one thing...Internet.

If I'm honest I was stunned at our unbeaten run. I loved it but I was surprised. I was expecting a mid table season. I am so happy to be wrong...like I said before I think play offs are achievable...we will take the last spot.

As for Chelsea. Its a big day out and a chance to stick it to these elite players...score first and who knows? Depends what Tuchel makes of it..he's probably never heard of us - until the ball came out...he's about to find out we can play Football.
I've seen enough FA Cup ties to know anything can happen...

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
It is a multi faceted problem. Its not all about budgets but sadly budget makes a massive difference in the quality you have to assemble a competitive 11 with another 7 on the bench.

I think Dewsnips contacts and knowledge should give us a head start on any potential youth players from the set ups he has in depth knowledge of.

As someone said earlier this seasons League One is brutal. There are some big clubs at the top and under us there's 3 or 4 traditionally massive clubs. It's Division 3 and to me it has the quality of a Division 2 of 25 years ago.

Football has got better all round. Every area has improved. Everything. The days of finding a wee nuggets no one knows of are long gone because of one thing...Internet.

If I'm honest I was stunned at our unbeaten run. I loved it but I was surprised. I was expecting a mid table season. I am so happy to be wrong...like I said before I think play offs are achievable...we will take the last spot.

As for Chelsea. Its a big day out and a chance to stick it to these elite players...score first and who knows? Depends what Tuchel makes of it..he's probably never heard of us - until the ball came out...he's about to find out we can play Football.
I've seen enough FA Cup ties to know anything can happen...

Against Chesterfield in round 3 Chelsea had a front 3 of Lukaku, Werner and Pulisic... if anyone think's we'll be playing a Chelsea team full of kids think again.

Dec 30, 2020
Whats the situation signing European players now? That's how we signed quality players good enough for Championship last time.

There's a complex points system in place for any player who doesn't hold a British passport (not just Europeans), based on appearances in domestic league, continental and international competition, with more points awarded for stronger teams/competitions

It's difficult to imagine anyone who'd qualify wanting to play in league 1. They'd need to be playing regularly for a top 50 international side, in a reasonable standard league, and in continental competition. In the Championship, it might be more feasible.

Intriguingly, the new systems rank the Copas Libertadores and Sudamericana equal to the Champions and Europa Leagues in terms of points awarded, so it is now a lot easier to sign South American players. Anyone playing regularly in these competitions ought to qualify. Perhaps Argyle should send a scout to Chile or Colombia?

Jun 27, 2019
Brexit has killed that possibility. If it had happened 20 years earlier then the names David Friio and Romain Larrieu would mean nothing to us.