Let's be honest. It's all about budgets. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Let's be honest. It's all about budgets.

Jun 24, 2008
Heat of the moment thread. Don't understand your argument.

Heres a link to the league table, showing after 26 games we're 12 points ahead of Lincoln. Nothing to do with money in relation to today's opponents, just the luck and performance on the day. Footballs played over 40 odd games and wherever you end up is where you deserve to end up. Lincolns winner was scored by a defender. Granted, Marquis was signed this week and scored but blimey, only on a contract until the end of the season and he was not performing for 10th place Portsmouth, hardly a top class finisher. I'd rather Hardie and Ennis.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
John Marquis has always had a knack of scoring against us & we switched off in the dying embers of the game to lose- yes it is incredibly gutting but football is all about fine margins
It's not the end of the world- the season doesn't end in January- we learn from it & move on

Sep 6, 2006
Heat of the moment thread. Don't understand your argument.

Heres a link to the league table, showing after 26 games we're 12 points ahead of Lincoln. Nothing to do with money in relation to today's opponents, just the luck and performance on the day. Footballs played over 40 odd games and wherever you end up is where you deserve to end up. Lincolns winner was scored by a defender. Granted, Marquis was signed this week and scored but blimey, only on a contract until the end of the season and he was not performing for 10th place Portsmouth, hardly a top class finisher. I'd rather Hardie and Ennis.
Exactly. 46 games not 26. They appear to have strengthened significantly and should finish strongly. They have recently beaten Sunderland and Oxford. It was not luck they won today.

Reactions: chester

nikkk

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 8, 2011
I don't want to see club proud protestations about seats, signs, customer experience etc. I take that as a given. I dearly want to see passionate posts about building the football team and a new striker. You know Argyle. The lads football team. Our first team.

Reactions: Sparkypete

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Surely our signings explain where we are at.

We are taking gambles using well researched data to find gems like Alfie Lewis.

Or we are producing our own talent from the youth set up.

Or looking for league two gems like Scarr and Camara on free transfers.

lm surprised that people are surprised regarding the types of players we are looking at, and signing.

Even at league one level, players like Hardie and Wilson were not wanted by their previous league one clubs.

That surely explains our budget restrictions.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
Even if we had the money would players want to move down here away from football when they could join a team in th Midlands, North o r London? This has always been the case and will continue to be. I wrote to the Herald over 50 years ago about this and nothing has changed

Sep 15, 2010
Plympton
Are we forgetting there are clubs that are mocked for being ' you're not famous anymore'? IF we make the playoffs that will be a huge achievement against the likes of clubs who have been there and done that.... Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, Wigan, even Oxford......

Reactions: MGM

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Are we forgetting there are clubs that are mocked for being ' you're not famous anymore'? IF we make the playoffs that will be a huge achievement against the likes of clubs who have been there and done that.... Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, Wigan, even Oxford......

Even if we don’t make the playoffs and say finish 10th that’s a good achievement. Especially after last seasons showing.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Sunderlands budget has successfully kept them in L1 for 4 seasons.

Thats more to do with have poor they have been run. You only have to watch the Netflix documentary to see how Elis Short lost interest and allowed that club to go into free fall. Was always going to be like turning around an oil tanker.

Whether it’s new owners, same result, we will have to wait and see.

If you have a very good budget and are well run you have a significant advantage.

Sep 3, 2009
I don't want to see club proud protestations about seats, signs, customer experience etc. I take that as a given. I dearly want to see passionate posts about building the football team and a new striker. You know Argyle. The lads football team. Our first team.
MGM talks sense and you sound peed, quite frankly. No criticism, by the way, just being honest.

• Angry
Reactions: jmh630 and nikkk