Let's be honest. It's all about budgets. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Let's be honest. It's all about budgets.

nikkk

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 8, 2011
Sadly it's true isn't it ? Somehow Lincoln can afford top class finishers. We can't, or being sustainable don't want to.

I get it. If I had the money to spend I would. I'm in recovery, and I will have again soon. No doubt I'll chuck a load at Argyle again, but today just glaringly showed us it really is about the cash.

Today just screamed money to me.

I would love to spend Simon's money for him, but quite correctly as the owner of the club it's up to him, and we can only respect that.

But we need money on the team from supporting directors, if they fancy it. That's the truth of it.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Not all about budgets. It’s about tactics also.

Today we didn’t respond to there tactical change.

Reactions: oldage
Aug 22, 2020
If a club like argyle can’t compete against the budgets of teams like Lincoln then we’re completely screwed. I don’t see where our money goes, we have a huge following and we won’t spend a penny.

Reactions: Emeraldinho

nikkk

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 8, 2011
Nothing to do with budgets whatsoever, certainly today that’s the case.

argyle looked far the better team first half, I simply can’t explain nor understand the second half.
They had a quality striker whose instinct was to get in front of our player and tap it in. That is class and costs money.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Nothing to do with budgets whatsoever, certainly today that’s the case.

argyle looked far the better team first half, I simply can’t explain nor understand the second half.

Agreed. But in terms of automatic promotion and even playoffs it is. Look at some of the signings the teams around us are making compared to the sort of signing we are. Worlds apart.

We have a good league one squad capable of a decent top half finish. If it continues to overperform, we have a good shot at playoffs. That’s about the best we probably could have expected this season.

In my opinion, this is the most competitive League One for a long time. There are some very good teams at the top end, some decent ones around the playoffs and that doesn’t even account for some big clubs with big budgets currently languishing in mid table.

Sep 2, 2008
They had a quality striker whose instinct was to get in front of our player and tap it in. That is class and costs money.
Thought we had one of those and he didn't cost us a penny.

Defeat was down to lack of concentration and not taking responsibility as far as I'm concerned. Part of me will be glad when this Chelsea thing is over tbh because I think it has distracted some players.

For example, Houghton has pretty much disappeared and really is just coasting. He really is playing as though he doesn't want an injury to scupper his chances of turning out at SB. It wouldn't surprise me if thats why he was so eager to come off after what seemed to be a nothing challenge.

Reactions: oldage and nikkk
Aug 5, 2015
I hate to bring up that phrase “punching above our weight” but that does seem to be the case eg Lincoln acquire a proven goal scorer whilst, reportedly, we’re looking at an Irishman who may or may not come off.

Reactions: nikkk

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Sadly it's true isn't it ? Somehow Lincoln can afford top class finishers. We can't, or being sustainable don't want to.

I get it. If I had the money to spend I would. I'm in recovery, and I will have again soon. No doubt I'll chuck a load at Argyle again, but today just glaringly showed us it really is about the cash.

Today just screamed money to me.

I would love to spend Simon's money for him, but quite correctly as the owner of the club it's up to him, and we can only respect that.

But we need money on the team from supporting directors, if they fancy it. That's the truth of it.

l said last week that we have to be patient.

There are teams in this league with bigger budgets than us. We are playing a style of football which needs better players for it to work. In order for this to happen we have to increase our revenue streams.

This however doesn’t happen overnight especially with a casual, fickle catchment area who only suddenly gets interested in Argyle as they draw Chelsea in the cup.

However, that was deemed at being negative instead of realistic.

Reactions: April 1971

nikkk

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 8, 2011
l said last week that we have to be patient.

There are teams in this league with bigger budgets than us. We are playing a style of football which needs better players for it to work. In order for this to happen we have to increase our revenue streams.

This however doesn’t happen overnight especially with a casual, fickle catchment area who only suddenly gets interested in Argyle as they draw Chelsea in the cup.

However, that was deemed at being negative instead of realistic.
Do you think it can be achieved with the sustainable model or in reality it needs an Argyle fan splashing the cash ?

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Do you think it can be achieved with the sustainable model or in reality it needs an Argyle fan splashing the cash ?

l think there is no reason why we can’t get out of league one by the sustainable model we are creating. However, it will take time and patience.

I just think a bit of realism is needed. Unfortunately, people don’t want to hear it.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The defeat today wasn't because of budgets.

I totally agree with the club sustainability project, we don't want to go back to the dark days of 2010 and 2011 where high wages, amongst other things, nearly put us into liquidation.

However, I look around at other clubs who were recently in financial trouble and yet nearly all are doing just as well as us or better.

Wigan, Sheffield Wednesday and Portsmouth are doing ok, Bolton got promoted last season and Derby are still a Championship club.

We didn't even experience top flight football in exchange for administration as some clubs have.
The best we had for our financial sins was 10th in the Championship.

Sustainability is a long term project and we have to be patient.
We'll have to wait awhile for other clubs to financially suffer, if at all, while we'll continue to build our off the pitch financial muscle.

Sep 6, 2006

I totally agree with the club sustainability project, we don't want to go back to the dark days of 2010 and 2011 where high wages, amongst other things, nearly put us into liquidation.

However, I look around at other clubs who were recently in financial trouble and yet nearly all are doing just as well as us or better.

Wigan, Sheffield Wednesday and Portsmouth are doing ok, Bolton got promoted last season and Derby are still a Championship club.

We didn't even experience top flight football in exchange for administration as some clubs have.

We'll have to wait awhile for other clubs to financially suffer, if at all, while we'll continue to build our off the pitch financial muscle.
Not because of budgets? So Lincoln don't have bigger budget than us? Seems like it.

nikkk

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 8, 2011

No mate. It will take a bit of both. Not stupidity without a good balance sheet, but it will take a flair wealthy fan.

Reactions: David Doidge