Let's be honest. It's all about budgets. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Let's be honest. It's all about budgets.

May 16, 2016
Thats more to do with have poor they have been run. You only have to watch the Netflix documentary to see how Elis Short lost interest and allowed that club to go into free fall. Was always going to be like turning around an oil tanker.

Whether it’s new owners, same result, we will have to wait and see.

If you have a very good budget and are well run you have a significant advantage.
So it's not just about the size of the budget then.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
So it's not just about the size of the budget then.

no, but as l said last week it’s the key factor. I mean look at Everton Chairman. 500 million for a side fighting near the bottom. However, just like with Newcastle their wealth will probably get them out of jail.

May 16, 2016
no, but as l said last week it’s the key factor. I mean look at Everton Chairman. 500 million for a side fighting near the bottom. However, just like with Newcastle their wealth will probably get them out of jail.
So 500 million doesn't work but Newcastles wealth will, they've won less games than whipping boys Norwich. One of their bargain basement players scored today.

You've contradicted yourself in one short paragraph.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
So 500 million doesn't work but Newcastles wealth will, they've won less games than whipping boys Norwich. One of their bargain basement players scored today.

You've contradicted yourself in one short paragraph.

Not really. I said “Just like with Newcastle…” (as in both). Not sure how clearer that can be.

If you re-read what l actually said is the money will both get them out of trouble probably in the end this season. Even though both were/are mismanaged.

So the point you raised is the one l actually made tbh.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Thought we had one of those and he didn't cost us a penny.

Defeat was down to lack of concentration and not taking responsibility as far as I'm concerned. Part of me will be glad when this Chelsea thing is over tbh because I think it has distracted some players.

For example, Houghton has pretty much disappeared and really is just coasting. He really is playing as though he doesn't want an injury to scupper his chances of turning out at SB. It wouldn't surprise me if thats why he was so eager to come off after what seemed to be a nothing challenge.
Houghton is playing with an injury (heavily bruised ankle) and has been for the last 2 games according to Schumacher. He is a doubt for the Fleetwood game.

Reactions: Balham Green
Sep 2, 2008
Houghton is playing with an injury (heavily bruised ankle) and has been for the last 2 games according to Schumacher. He is a doubt for the Fleetwood game.
Did Schumacher really say a ‘heavily bruised ankle’ or did you just make that up?

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Houghton also had to be substituted in the 4-2 defeat away to Sheffield Wednesday in the Pilgrims' previous match.

Schumacher said: "He has just got a bit of a bruised ankle at the moment. I was considering making that change anyway, to get Panutche on, just because of the way the game was going.

Hardie and Houghton will be assessed by Argyle's medical staff before the away game against Fleetwood Town on Tuesday night.

And regarding the Sheffield Wednesday game in the ratings:

Jordan Houghton 5 - It looked like the midfielder might have to be substituted in the second half when he limped off the pitch. Houghton did return but he was replaced by Ryan Law in the closing stages.

So not 'heavily' bruised maybe but certainly playing with an injury.
It's Ok, you don't necessarily need to apologise to me, but maybe to JH.

Sep 2, 2008
Why would you think I could perhaps apologise to you? You are the one misleading the readers of this forum so if anyone should be apologising, it should be you.

So he had a ‘bit of a bruised ankle’ which obviously wasn’t bad enough for him not to start against Lincoln.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Why would you think I could perhaps apologise to you? You are the one misleading the readers of this forum so if anyone should be apologising, it should be you.

So he had a ‘bit of a bruised ankle’ which obviously wasn’t bad enough for him not to start against Lincoln.
As I said maybe don't apologise to me, but I think insinuating that a professional footballer is deliberately playing below par and feigning injury to get off the pitch whilst they're actually injured is pretty shabby.

For anyone deeply affected by my post I unreservedly apologise for using the word heavily having skim read the Herald match report.
A helpline will be set up in due course.

May 3, 2017
Thought we had one of those and he didn't cost us a penny.

Defeat was down to lack of concentration and not taking responsibility as far as I'm concerned. Part of me will be glad when this Chelsea thing is over tbh because I think it has distracted some players.

For example, Houghton has pretty much disappeared and really is just coasting. He really is playing as though he doesn't want an injury to scupper his chances of turning out at SB. It wouldn't surprise me if thats why he was so eager to come off after what seemed to be a nothing challenge.
Schuey claimed that Houghton has a slight ankle injury and took a knock to it, hence the reason he came off.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
What are we actually expecting here?

We talk about budget issues and comparing us to them but the only thing we should be judged against is our own objectives set by the club.

We want to be a sustainable championship football club. No where did I see ‘we want to have the 3rd/7th/15th biggest budget in the league.

The emphasis is on sustainability.

That’s why we have invested money in the Grandstand, the stadium in general. We could have blobbed it all on the playing budget to have one of the biggest budgets in the league but that wouldn’t sustain us past a few years.

We are a slow burner. I’d argue we are still well ahead of schedule without selling any assets off, which will play a big part of us being self sustainable.

We probably won’t see the true benefits of what we do today for a season or 2 but it will be there.

Be competitive and keep building. Forget the other clubs that use a completely different strategy. Look at Derby for instance.

Sep 2, 2008
As I said maybe don't apologise to me, but I think insinuating that a professional footballer is deliberately playing below par and feigning injury to get off the pitch whilst they're actually injured is pretty shabby.

For anyone deeply affected by my post I unreservedly apologise for using the word heavily having skim read the Herald match report.
A helpline will be set up in due course.
So you don’t think footballers do this then? You probably don’t think they also deliberately pick up cards to get banned so they can have Christmas off either.

You really do live in your own little world don’t you. A world where the word ‘bit’ looks like ‘heavily’ and the word ‘properly’ probably reads as ‘skim’.

You’re one of those posters that distorts reality to suit your own purposes and then tries to mockingly play your way out of being called out.

Stop stating falsehoods and then maybe you won’t find yourself in the position of having to apologise. Tbf, you’re not alone in bending the truth on this forum to suit your own purposes. It seems to be a bit of a thing on here with certain posters.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
So you don’t think footballers do this then? You probably don’t think they also deliberately pick up cards to get banned so they can have Christmas off either.

You really do live in your own little world don’t you. A world where the word ‘bit’ looks like ‘heavily’ and the word ‘properly’ probably reads as ‘skim’.

You’re one of those posters that distorts reality to suit your own purposes and then tries to mockingly play your way out of being called out.

Stop stating falsehoods and then maybe you won’t find yourself in the position of having to apologise. Tbf, you’re not alone in bending the truth on this forum to suit your own purposes. It seems to be a bit of a thing on here with certain posters.
Im not sure whose spread a falsehood here. I stated Houghton was playing through injury. According to the manager he is. Albeit I exaggerated the extent of the injury, the seriousness is unknown to me.

On the other hand you have implied, without any evidence (other than a perhaps reduced performance level), that Houghton is shirking and looking for ways to be substituted.

Which is the falsehood: that he's injured or that he's downed tools so he can play in the Chelsea game?
The additional implication of what you say is that Schumacher (and perhaps any medical staff at the club) are in on it too and are allowing Houghton special treatment so that he can make the cup game.
Hmmm....

I hope JH (a stand out performer for us this season) doesn't read any comments here or elsewhere from people accusing him of chickening off and feigning the extent of an injury.

Personally I'll be playing later with a heavily strapped ankle and generous application of biofreeze having twisted my ankle a few weeks ago. Running on it is absolutely fine, but twisting and turning is a different matter.
I'm not making it up in order to play in a big cup tie, honest.
Jordan, if you are reading (and you're not making it all up) then I empathise.

Last edited: