Let's be honest. It's all about budgets. | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Let's be honest. It's all about budgets.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Blackpool are doing fine in the championship competing against teams with a much bigger budget than them. Also worth noting they signed Shayne Lavery from Linfield, who’s having a good season for them. A similar situation to Georgie Kelly. Albeit in Northern Ireland and not Ireland.

Reactions: RKB
Apr 1, 2009
Even if we had the money would players want to move down here away from football when they could join a team in th Midlands, North o r London? This has always been the case and will continue to be. I wrote to the Herald over 50 years ago about this and nothing has changed
I discussed this with someone else on here last week. I accept that our location is an issue, but frankly no one knows to what extent this is the case, and it's therefore a subject that's easy to whinge about.

You say nothing has changed in 50 years - How do you know that? Did you ask a load of footballers about it 50 years ago, and another lot now? Can you actually name five players offered terms by Argyle in the last 5 years who have declined specifically due to our location? Can you actually name a single player to whom this applies?

Actually a lot of factors have changed in the last 50 years. There's a much more extensive motorway system, but the roads are more crowded. More people do work further from home now, although more also work from home. 50 years ago, if you worked a long way from your wider family, you perhaps were limited to the occasional phone call. Now through Skype, Facetime, Zoom et al, you can see your distant friends and relatives as often as you want. These things do make a difference. And, why do we assume that every footballer needs/wants to live in close proximity to their wider family?

Argyle currently have players who originate from all areas of England. If some will come, why can't we get others to if we sell ourselves well? Of course many won't, but to just say "nothing has changed" is so accepting of circumstances that may not be that bad. No one who uses this argument that players don't want to come here ever accepts that other clubs get turned down on the basis of location - I'm sure it happens.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
I discussed this with someone else on here last week. I accept that our location is an issue, but frankly no one knows to what extent this is the case, and it's therefore a subject that's easy to whinge about.

You say nothing has changed in 50 years - How do you know that? Did you ask a load of footballers about it 50 years ago, and another lot now? Can you actually name five players offered terms by Argyle in the last 5 years who have declined specifically due to our location? Can you actually name a single player to whom this applies?

Actually a lot of factors have changed in the last 50 years. There's a much more extensive motorway system, but the roads are more crowded. More people do work further from home now, although more also work from home. 50 years ago, if you worked a long way from your wider family, you perhaps were limited to the occasional phone call. Now through Skype, Facetime, Zoom et al, you can see your distant friends and relatives as often as you want. These things do make a difference. And, why do we assume that every footballer needs/wants to live in close proximity to their wider family?

Argyle currently have players who originate from all areas of England. If some will come, why can't we get others to if we sell ourselves well? Of course many won't, but to just say "nothing has changed" is so accepting of circumstances that may not be that bad. No one who uses this argument that players don't want to come here ever accepts that other clubs get turned down on the basis of location - I'm sure it happens.

I am not sure what part of Plymouth Guinea Bissau comes under but then geography was never my strong point.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Not sure how true this is.
9A64D9EE-69EE-4723-924F-56228C908484.jpeg

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Sickening to see those figures in the 3rd tier of English football.

I’m sure that was Championship figures 5 years ago.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Sickening to see those figures in the 3rd tier of English football.

I’m sure that was Championship figures 5 years ago.

If those stats are true, and l say IF, then lm sorry but this highlights exactly what we are up against.

To then be just outside the playoffs currently is a very good achievement so far.

What l find strange about the table is a club like Burton spending 3.7 million on wages and we spend quite a bit less.

Maybe the bottom is going to fall out of football and Argyle get to pick up the pieces.

• Wow
Reactions: Tugboat

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
I'd put my house on those figures being untrue.

Mar 24, 2019
Whilst I doubt those figures are completely accurate, I wouldn’t have thought it was far from the truth …the only clubs above us that I was surprised with , were burton and Shrewsbury.
There’s no doubt we’re currently overachieving on what is a bottom half budget

Dec 30, 2020
Argyle’s most recent accounts recorded staff costs of £4.8m in the year 2020-21, so I find those figures unlikely.

Chris

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jan 23, 2022
They had a quality striker whose instinct was to get in front of our player and tap it in. That is class and costs money.
We're not paying him the full whack - Pompey are chipping in. That's the only way we can afford him.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
We're not paying him the full whack - Pompey are chipping in. That's the only way we can afford him.

Correct me if lm wrong, but he is only there until the end of the season too?

We all we like a Marquis, but if Lincoln can’t even afford his wages, then maybe their’s the stark reality of the situation starring not only Argyle but clubs like Lincoln in the face.

Chris

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jan 23, 2022
Correct me if lm wrong, but he is only there until the end of the season too?

We all we like a Marquis, but if Lincoln can’t even afford his wages, then maybe their’s the stark reality of the situation starring not only Argyle but clubs like Lincoln in the face.
It's all about him getting some game time now, and us getting a decent striker. Even if it's only temporary.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
It's all about him getting some game time now, and us getting a decent striker. Even if it's only temporary.

To be honest, without the supply he wouldn’t be as effective. Your no7 and no11 caused use problems. And if no11 had a right foot he would of scored before you got the winner.

Marquis strength is that half of yard in the box.

I still think your defence reminds me of ours. By what l meant they play out of the back in some situations where on another day you’d of conceded some stupid goals by bad decision making. Especially in the first half.

Was a great game though. You have a good team.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth

If course I am not privy to transfer negotiations so can't give specific caes. However if you are young player who is offered a transfer to Plymouth or to a team in the areas mentioned who are you going to choose? A team where you can be noticed by many other higher placed team . Or, when you look at the map, we are so far away from football who do you sensibly choose? If you are older and only have a few years left do you move your family to the other end of the country when you can stay where you are and move to a choice of 5 or 6 nearby?