Legends line up vote (for stadium exterior artwork) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Legends line up vote (for stadium exterior artwork)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Connolly currently has over twice the votes as Nisbet, so will definitely not be Nissie.

This all-time XI team is just going to be the 2004 side + maybe Carey/Buszaky, as those are the players that the Twitter generation who are voting would have grown up with.

Screenshot 2022-06-16 155757.png

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
Argyle’s twitter account has over 118,000 followers and is the quickest way for the club to connect with fans.

Twitter doesn’t give an accurate reflection of every fans view but is there actually a better way of voting for this? If the polls were on the official site, it would still be linked to on Twitter.

Its 100% a flawed way to run a poll but I’m not sure there is a way that it could be run any better.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Argyle’s twitter account has over 118,000 followers and is the quickest way for the club to connect with fans.

Twitter doesn’t give an accurate reflection of every fans view but is there actually a better way of voting for this? If the polls were on the official site, it would still be linked to on Twitter.

Its 100% a flawed way to run a poll but I’m not sure there is a way that it could be run any better.
Well I was at most home games last season, crowd seemed about 110,000 short to me!
I don't do twitter, will never do twitter, don't want to do twitter, have no idea how to do twitter so it will never give an accurate reflection of my view.
McClaren & Nisbet so far; not so good.

Reactions: Andy S

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London

You’re totally correct and there are always people unhappy with the choices in these situations… but the Larrieu AND Connolly picks tell us it is probably just going to be the 2004 side. So if that happens something is clearly wrong rather than just subjective disagreements like a Sammy Black being picked over a Billy Rafferty.

To be fair to the club, it’s a great idea and we do have the Jack Leslie statue plus the historic moments images to go with it. But this aspect of it is clearly flawed.

Reactions: Sam Barker

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
PASOTI and the Argyle Fans Trust should be asking for the club to put a vote on their main website. The comments listed before are younger supporters than myself. Best goalkeeper Dave MacLaren best RH and local boy Johnny Williams. We can do much better than chat all day long

The Fans Trust perhaps mate but Pasoti has no mandate we're just an online community.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
There are players from the past who richly deserve their place as Argyle legends, all time greats, and some of these none of us have seen play. I'm not sure that a Twitter poll can do justice to the historical stature of these players due to the demographic of Twitter users. Those of us who are older probably have a more balanced viewpoint but because we are less likely to be Twitter users our opinions are being lost. Polls are not always the most sensible way to decide things, particularly when there is such an obvious bias. In these days of data analysis, would it be more sensible to use a statistical approach to decide?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
This is what I think the Twitter vote will end up as:

Larrieu
Connolly
Bradley
Coughlan
Sawyer
Halmosi
Friio
Nalis or Buzsaky
Carey
Tynan
Evans or Mariner

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
This is what I think the Twitter vote will end up as:

Larrieu
Connolly
Bradley
Coughlan
Sawyer
Halmosi
Friio
Nalis or Buzsaky
Carey
Tynan
Evans or Mariner

Totally agree. Though I’m not even sure Tynan would get in, if Connolly is getting twice the votes of Nisbet. I genuinely think Reuben Reid would get more votes on Twitter.

I can’t remember what the choices would be if it’s from the BGL Greatest Pilgrims poll, would Carey have been part of that if he was a current player?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Totally agree. Though I’m not even sure Tynan would get in, if Connolly is getting twice the votes of Nisbet. I genuinely think Reuben Reid would get more votes on Twitter.

I can’t remember what the choices would be if it’s from the BGL Greatest Pilgrims poll, would Carey have been part of that if he was a current player?

The club, rightly or wrongly, are just using the top four results from the poll conducted in 2019, for the strikers it was
Tommy Tynan, Mickey Evans, Paul Mariner and Sammy Black. Most might abstain. :)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
There are players from the past who richly deserve their place as Argyle legends, all time greats, and some of these none of us have seen play. I'm not sure that a Twitter poll can do justice to the historical stature of these players due to the demographic of Twitter users. Those of us who are older probably have a more balanced viewpoint but because we are less likely to be Twitter users our opinions are being lost. Polls are not always the most sensible way to decide things, particularly when there is such an obvious bias. In these days of data analysis, would it be more sensible to use a statistical approach to decide?

I agree, I’m not sure it should be this democratic. And certainly not on Twitter. A panel of Argyle experts of all ages would have been good, maybe Sparksy and a few others.

And I’m not even sure having favourite players and seeing them in the flesh is even that relevant. E.g. Graham Carey is my favourite Argyle player, for various personal reasons. But I don’t think he should be in an all-time XI because I know that previous players achieved more before my time.

Will shut up now :ROFLMAO::censored:

Reactions: saxman
Oct 15, 2017
I agree with others who think that the use of Twitter will significantly skew the results in favour of the younger age cohorts.

The Club must know the age profile of the fanbase fairly accurately, so the solution is simple. Request the age of the respondent and then weight the results by the inverse of the sampling fraction - So, if under 30's make up a third of the fanbase, but represent two thirds of the respondents then each of their results should be multiplied by 0.5. Conversely, if over 60's make up a third of the fanbase, but only one sixth of the respondents, then each of their votes should be doubled.

For what its worth, my late father (and many very elderly fans still alive) would probably have voted for Bill Shortt, as the best keeper, whereas I would vote for Dave MacLaren, and one or two of my younger relatives would go for Romain Larrieu.

The Club should think again on this one because the use of Twitter will not be representative and, therefore, not fair.

I've seen them all including Bill Short who was good but my choice would be
larrieu but I don't do Twitter.

Reactions: saxman
Sep 6, 2006
I agree, I’m not sure it should be this democratic. And certainly not on Twitter. A panel of Argyle experts of all ages would have been good, maybe Sparksy and a few others.

And I’m not even sure having favourite players and seeing them in the flesh is even that relevant. E.g. Graham Carey is my favourite Argyle player, for various personal reasons. But I don’t think he should be in an all-time XI because I know that previous players achieved more before my time.

Will shut up now :ROFLMAO::censored:
And also Carey was best in League 2

Oct 15, 2017
Anyone know if the club is receiving anything from Twitter? I complained to the club saying I don’t have Twitter and that this was hardly inclusive and got back a link to Twitter from the club saying it was an easy process. Look forward to seeing all those murals of league two and maybe league one players. I doubt if anyone under 40 has even heard of the likes of Dave Provan. Brian Bason or even Norman Piper

Machin
Rafferty
Castle
and many more.