Legends line up vote (for stadium exterior artwork) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Legends line up vote (for stadium exterior artwork)

Dec 3, 2005
When did the Club start having
'Player of the Season'?
Maybe a good idea to select from that list of players.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
When did the Club start having
'Player of the Season'?
Maybe a good idea to select from that list of players.
1966 was the first one, my first full season watching Argyle. Tommy Tynan the only 3 time winner.

Aug 5, 2015
Anyone know if the club is receiving anything from Twitter? I complained to the club saying I don’t have Twitter and that this was hardly inclusive and got back a link to Twitter from the club saying it was an easy process. Look forward to seeing all those murals of league two and maybe league one players. I doubt if anyone under 40 has even heard of the likes of Dave Provan. Brian Bason or even Norman Piper

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yeah a link is no good as you actually need a Twitter account to vote. And you might not want to setup a Twitter account for a host of reasons, and certainly not purely to vote in one poll.

It's currently the right-back vote, there's no point even having Gordon Nisbet (300 odd games and playing in an FA Cup semi-final) on there. He's sat on 20% with Paul Connolly on 57%. I really liked Paul Connolly but he ain't Argyle's best ever right back.

Really do think this needs addressing, as we simply aren't going to have any pre-2000s player selected at this rate, and a totally skewed version of Argyle history when that can't be the intention.

If you look at the replies, there are literally people saying they've never seen 'x' in the flesh, so can't vote for them. Which is a bit of a fatal flaw when picking an all-time (since 1886) team :rolleyes:

Dec 30, 2020
Today's choices for the right back illustrate my point about insisting on picking one player in every position. I think this is a much bigger oversight than putting the poll on Twitter.

David Worrell, Paul Connolly, Gordon Nesbitt and Mike Patterson.

I never saw the latter two but hardly recall them ever being mentioned by older fans. Connolly and Worrell would struggle to make the top 50 Argyle players of my era.

Seems totally daft that one of these guys will be on there while several from Paul Mariner, Billy Rafferty, Tommy Tynan, Mickey Evans and other great centre forwards will miss out.

Reactions: saxman

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yep, it's a fantastic idea but I don't think it's been thought through.

Again, I'm in my 30s but am aware of these players through 1) simply having an interest in the history of the club, and 2) stories passed down from parents/grandparents/great-grandparents.

How the hell was Bill Shortt with 374 games not on the keeper shortlist, either? This isn't just sour grapes at favourite players being left out, it just seems objectively not right that an all-time XI is being picked by a mainly younger generation using Twitter who are explicitly not selecting players they haven't seen. Argyle history belongs to all of us, surely.

Rant over 🤐

Reactions: Andy S and PL2 3DQ

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Overall it's a good idea but Twitter isn't the place to hold the vote.
With these players having their image portrayed outside of Home Park it's an important and long lasting accolade but it will only be players from the last 20 years due to the voting demographic.

Nov 11, 2012
Keyham
Gordon Nisbet would always get my vote for the best right back I seen play for us. Nothing against the other three players on the list but the next best right back I have seen in my opinion was Gary Poole.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Gordon Nisbet would always get my vote for the best right back I seen play for us. Nothing against the other three players on the list but the next best right back I have seen in my opinion was Gary Poole.

You surely don't need to have seen them play, either. If I know that Nisbet has played 300 times and appeared for us in an FA Cup semi-final despite never seeing him in the flesh, I'd have to select him ahead of a player I personally loved watching but was at a much lower level and for far fewer games.

Again, it's a fatal flaw in an 'all-time' XI vote to incentivise it to younger generations only picking who've they've seen in the flesh. As Postey says, I'm actually thinking this IS quite important as it's a long-term visual to anyone visiting Home Park.

I can see exactly how this is going to go, Wotton and Coughlan will be selected for the centre-backs and perhaps even Tony Capaldi at left-back, and what was meant to be a rich tapestry of Argyle history will basically be the 2004 side with perhaps Mariner/Leslie/Tynan/Carey added on.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021
Among the criteria for being an "Argyle legend" must the the length of time at, and games played for, the club.

Are their any plans to reserve any spaces for some of those at the top of the GoS time and appearance lists?