Legends line up vote (for stadium exterior artwork) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Legends line up vote (for stadium exterior artwork)

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
They're appealing to that age group Biggsy. They know us old sods are hooked.
In which case, it’s a pile of poo!

Jan 27, 2012
Twitter is NOT the right way to decide this. As much as I hate committees, that is probably best for something like this.

The important characters in my time as a supporter are those of the Dave Smith and Paul Sturrock teams. Perhaps others of the Holloway era and a few more recent characters. Plus that 1984 FA Cup run.

But the teams of the 1950s- Astall, Chisholm etc were some of the best. And let’s not forget the 1930s successes. Plus the early pioneers like Bob Jack (who deserves a statue above Leslie in my option for his sheer length of service).

Twitter votes won’t reflect the club legends properly as the age demographic is all wrong. The truth is, Argyle hasn’t had a truly remarkable team for years now. Hardie is a good player in our mediocre team - but you can’t compare him with the likes of Tynan, Mariner or Black.

Reactions: djg145

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
I don't think there's anything especially wrong with prioritising players who more fans will remember

Wouldn't really be much of an advert for Home Park to cover it with ancient images... Come to Argyle, where the good times were fifty years ago
Not much of an advert if Argyle’s “history” only started 20 years ago.

Reactions: djg145 and Biggs

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
There's a very good chance that all the legends pictured on the outside of Home Park will have played within the last 20 years which surely isn't right and dismisses our history.

Thankfully Jack Leslie will have a statue.

Reactions: Biggs
May 26, 2015
I agree with others who think that the use of Twitter will significantly skew the results in favour of the younger age cohorts.

The Club must know the age profile of the fanbase fairly accurately, so the solution is simple. Request the age of the respondent and then weight the results by the inverse of the sampling fraction - So, if under 30's make up a third of the fanbase, but represent two thirds of the respondents then each of their results should be multiplied by 0.5. Conversely, if over 60's make up a third of the fanbase, but only one sixth of the respondents, then each of their votes should be doubled.

For what its worth, my late father (and many very elderly fans still alive) would probably have voted for Bill Shortt, as the best keeper, whereas I would vote for Dave MacLaren, and one or two of my younger relatives would go for Romain Larrieu.

The Club should think again on this one because the use of Twitter will not be representative and, therefore, not fair.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
The Club must know the age profile of the fanbase fairly accurately, so the solution is simple. Request the age of the respondent and then weight the results by the inverse of the sampling fraction - So, if under 30's make up a third of the fanbase, but represent two thirds of the respondents then each of their results should be multiplied by 0.5. Conversely, if over 60's make up a third of the fanbase, but only one sixth of the respondents, then each of their votes should be doubled.

Simple!

:rolleyes: 😂

Dec 30, 2020
That is totally the wrong way to look at it, in my view. The club has a rich history and should be celebrated, it's not about ancient images or saying we had good times 50 years ago. Is the Best-Law-Charlton at Old Trafford archaic? Course it isn't.

For what it's worth, I'm in my 30s and want to see players like Moses Russell and Sammy Black as part of this, or even Michael Foot. It's a fantastic idea by Argyle, having a space where we can celebrate all of the rich tapestry (literally) of Argyle history... from EVERY era. Do like the Arsenal one, I have to say...

skysports-arsenal-emirates-stadium-general_3905709.jpg

I see what you're saying but I'm sure some of the old stagers will get on there even if there is an element of recency bias.

That Arsenal one looks a bit plastic imo - most of the players didn't wear names on their backs when they played. I suspect that one of the reasons they've done it that way is that all the tourists at the stadium wouldn't recognise the players (including the more recent ones) without the names. I think action shots would be better.

(With a nod to your previously point about Graham Carey, I am also in my early 30s and he would be in my top 3 choices of players who should be on there so age isn't the only dividing line, though as I say, I think the idea of limiting it to a team formation is daft. It should just be the most memorable Argyle players.)

nikkk

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 8, 2011
Just for those who have never seen this (I hadn't) these are the Home Park murals. This video is quite a few years old now. I've never seen it until yesterday.

Paid for Nik Barron, designed by Darren James manufactured and erected by Mike Back. My only input was I picked the themes and subject matter, with some help from Pasoti'ites at the time.

I'm amazed they never caught on all over the country I must admit.

Without doubt one of my proudest moments, and they are still standing. Good times.