Legends line up vote (for stadium exterior artwork) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Legends line up vote (for stadium exterior artwork)

The Pasty Kid

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
I've mixed emotions on it, the 80s promotion team were my first heroes, but the 2004-7 guys were playing at a time I consider of a higher standard. The further back we go the less people will have seen them play of course. Plus 2004 is 18 years ago to be fair, so it's not really just kids voting.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I've mixed emotions on it, the 80s promotion team were my first heroes, but the 2004-7 guys were playing at a time I consider of a higher standard. The further back we go the less people will have seen them play of course. Plus 2004 is 18 years ago to be fair, so it's not really just kids voting.

Yeah it’s not kids as such, the demographic seems to be mainly 30-odd if you look at the comments on Twitter.

But the whole ‘seeing them play’ thing isn’t compatible with an ALL-TIME voting selection. Dixie Dean would get nowhere near an Everton selection, Stanley Matthews would get nowhere near a Blackpool/Stoke selection, and Moses Russell isn’t getting anywhere near the Argyle selection :(

We still have the second XI to come, perhaps there can be a different process involved in that, rather than just the runner-ups in the present vote.

Apr 1, 2009
Let's look at this logically.

Argyle want to encourage more youngsters to the game, probably because of the proportion of us oldies going to the matches, but in time will slowly reduce in number. That's just nature.

What better way of keeping the youngsters interest than to show them their heroes outside of the ground.

Our heroes are on the walls inside the ground, but there has been a gap from when they were first placed there to now and the Club are just giving the youngsters the opportunity to choose who they want to see, to keep the scenario going, and the Club has chosen Twitter to encourage the younger generation to vote, without interference from us older generation.
Agree 100% with your view on the club's intentions. They want modern players who fans recognise, rather than pictures from 50+ years ago of players who only the most senior of fans will recall. It makes sense, and the club is quite entitled to do this, with or without fan participation.

Why, however, dress it up as something it is not? Why talk of "all time" legends when that is not what you want? Why deceive fans into thinking that they can vote their recent heroes into an all time team when, through the choice of Twitter, you are making sure that effectively they can't?

Marketing is by nature manipulative, but in this instance there is no need for such manipulation. We are fortunate to live at a time where the club is, in most instances, very transparent in their actions, yet on this occasion someone has come up with the idea of a skewed vote to achieve the club's aim. It's so unnecessary - just tell us what you want, and the fans will (largely) be happy to go along with it. Don't give the impression that you think you are cleverer than us. An own goal IMHO.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Agree 100% with your view on the club's intentions. They want modern players who fans recognise, rather than pictures from 50+ years ago of players who only the most senior of fans will recall. It makes sense, and the club is quite entitled to do this, with or without fan participation.

Why, however, dress it up as something it is not? Why talk of "all time" legends when that is not what you want? Why deceive fans into thinking that they can vote their recent heroes into an all time team when, through the choice of Twitter, you are making sure that effectively they can't?

Marketing is by nature manipulative, but in this instance there is no need for such manipulation. We are fortunate to live at a time where the club is, in most instances, very transparent in their actions, yet on this occasion someone has come up with the idea of a skewed vote to achieve the club's aim. It's so unnecessary - just tell us what you want, and the fans will (largely) be happy to go along with it. Don't give the impression that you think you are cleverer than us. An own goal IMHO.

Agree with that. If this poll was for a greatest list for a website article then fair enough. But it's for images of greatest players to be portrayed on the outside of Home Park for probably the next decade or so.

It's not a fair reflection of our rich and long history, it's almost erasing our history.
The club get 99% of things right, on this occasion I think they've got it wrong.

The club have the email addresses of all ST holders and fans who have purchased match tickets over the last season so why not conduct the poll by email?
Or at least use all platforms and not just Twitter.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
We shouldn't let perfection be the enemy of the good. I think that the mural is going to look fantastic whoever is on it. As long as it's not Stuart Evans, Peter Swan and Terrible West :confused:

Dec 3, 2005
Maybe the youngsters should be told about the history of the Club before they were born?
This saying only have ones that the youngsters know about is rediculous.
I cant see Clubs like Man Utd pulling down their statues of Charlton, Law and Best or Liverpool pulling down Bill Shankly's statue. Just because someone suggests that their young fans won't know who they are.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Maybe the youngsters should be told about the history of the Club before they were born?
This saying only have ones that the youngsters know about is rediculous.
I cant see Clubs like Man Utd pulling down their statues of Charlton, Law and Best or Liverpool pulling down Bill Shankly's statue. Just because someone suggests that their young fans won't know who they are.

Totally agree. And quite frankly I’m a bit disappointed that people don’t seem that knowledgeable about the history of the club. Ironically this display may have been a good way to educate people about it.

E.g. Even if Reuben Reid might be the best forward I’ve personally seen, clearly I could never vote for him in an all-time XI because I’d be aware of Jack Leslie, Sammy Black, Paul Mariner and Tommy Tynan before him.

The core problem is people (on Twitter so skewed towards younger fans) only voting for players they’ve seen, which is totally incompatible with an ALL TIME eleven.

Aug 5, 2015
If we don’t get at least two of Mariner, Rafferty or Tynan it’s a joke. But it all ready is if Nissie isn’t there

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Agree with that. If this poll was for a greatest list for a website article then fair enough. But it's for images of greatest players to be portrayed on the outside of Home Park for probably the next decade or so.

It's not a fair reflection of our rich and long history, it's almost erasing our history.
The club get 99% of things right, on this occasion I think they've got it wrong.

The club have the email addresses of all ST holders and fans who have purchased match tickets over the last season so why not conduct the poll by email?
Or at least use all platforms and not just Twitter.
Trading Standards innit ;)

May 8, 2011
Yep, no problem with Friio at all. It’s when Sonny Bradley gets 20 times the votes of Moses Russell (Welsh international with 400 Argyle games over 16 years) that I’ll start moaning again :ROFLMAO:
But as the vote is for Argyle legends, then the winner should be Ronnie Mauge for the winning goal at Wembley.
It isn’t a vote for who was best.

Reactions: greenpilled
Oct 31, 2015
Because of the mad way this is being done the "legends" will probably be made up of league 1 champions and championship squads which is just wrong when you think of some of the fore runners. I dont normally state the club for getting it wrong but they have in this instance.

As an Example shelly is never a club legend, very good yes, in a very good team.