Jake Jervis signs for Luton - confirmed | Page 21 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jake Jervis signs for Luton - confirmed

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
PL2 3DQ":bign0nuz said:
There's no loan window anymore unless it's an emergency for a keeper. It's free agents only and they had to be a free agent before the transfer window closed last night.

It now does look like the Argyle players will have a set price release clause in their contracts.
Bradford supposedly offered £75,000 for Ryan Taylor and we turned it down because it didn't meet our valuation or was it because the release clause wasn't met?

Both I would suggest. There must be a figure at which Argyle would choose to sell any player and then there is the figure agreed when a contract was signed which the club would have to accept if the player wanted to leave for a club that was prepared to pay it. Logic tells us that the first figure (the Argyle price) ought to be lower than the release clause price because otherwise the release clause would always trigger first,

Clearly, the Argyle price for Ryan Taylor is currently more than £75k.

In Jervis's case it seems that the Argyle price was £100k as long as a replacement could be brought it. Presumably Luton didn't want to take the risk that that didn't happen and so forced the issue by offering £125k at which point Argyle had no say in the matter.

The big issue I have with this is that the player and his agent obviously know the figure that triggers their release clause and so if they want to leave it is a simple job to inform the buying club what they need to pay and this can be reflected in the terms they are then offered. For example, Jervis might have been paid more by Luton if they had got him at £100k but he might have wanted to go so much that he took a lesser package so that they could afford the greater fee.

The players really do hold all of the cards in this kind of situation (as long are good enough to have other clubs interested in them).

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Back to Jake, will confess to feeling a little saddened by this. A hell of a lot of great memories, the two that spring to mind are the jumping into the crowd after the Hartley goal v Pompey and the wheeling away after scoring v Newport in the 6-1.

Good luck Jake! A really good player for us :thumbup:

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
monkeywrench":2igpf6bm said:
Mazza26":2igpf6bm said:
monkeywrench":2igpf6bm said:
So he wanted to go then.

I don't think the release clause can be used as an excuse by Adams though, and i'm not suggesting he will use it as an excuse, but ultimately he would have had some inclining about this sort of thing potentially happening, in reality it probably happened too late in the day for him to find a replacement but i'm sure he will be the first to admit that we are extremely short. Is there a loan window? Pretty sure I read that it's only emergencies as they've changed the rules?

Nope, no loans unless for goalkeepers.

Yes we do look a bit short.

I guess the scenario with JJ was, we'll let you go if we get a replacement (i.e Martinez). Martinez falls though and Luton pay the release clause and we lose JJ. Not ideal.

I think we're pretty short all over the pitch except in goal, unless out of nowhere Adams has suddenly decided some of the youth lads are up to the grade.

Taylor/Church
Carey/Ainsworth
Lameiras/Grant

Sarcevic
Makasi/Ness
Fox

Sawyer/ATS
Bradley/Songo'o
Vyner/Edwards
Threlkeld/Miller

Matthews/Letheren/McCormick/Cooper

We've left ourselves with 17 outfield players (Not inc. Fletcher/Sangster or Edwards). Plus, with our new attacking setup, I don't see how direct wingers like Grant/Ainsworth fit in the system. Only Songo'o has any real versatility. The best thing about the end of last season is that we had people really pushing the first 11 and I'm not convinced we have that at the moment. Nobody on that bench strikes me as a game-changer or an option if we need a goal.

It's a funny looking squad, but in DA we trust and we can still pick up free agents I guess!

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
There is some versatility in the squad though.

Threlkeld and Songo'o among those who can play more than one position. Ideally we would have replaced Jake.

Matthews, Vyner and Makasi will return to their clubs. Assume Church has till May to earn a contract.

So I am expecting another hectic summer of ins and outs as once again a lot of players will be out of contract - presumably virtually everyone except Carey who got a longer deal. Is there anyone else with commitment beyond Summer 2018? I not sure there is but happy to be corrected.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Balham_Green":vjfmz7iz said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":vjfmz7iz said:
macleanie":vjfmz7iz said:
Jervis reached double figures in both of his last 2 seasons, regardless of whether he wouldve reached that this season or not... he was a goal scorer. Goals win you games. We have lost one with no replacement as it currently stands.

How people can talk about money and his contract running out as an excuse dumbfounds me. If he's part of our squad, sub or not, he has the ability to score goals. Important goals, that's something has has done and is now missing from the squad. Grant and Ainsworth have not proven they can achieve what Jervis has.

Seriously....When exactly did Jervis prove he is a good forward at league one level?

He hasn’t been near the side since we been playing well. Some of the best football we seen under Adams and he isn’t in the team which says to me we were a better team without him.

Exactly.
Hope none of you guys are business men. 125k for a player who would be off in 3 months for free and is not in the team. What's not to like?[/quote]

Just the lack of a replacement, the squad looks a little light, agree with the money versus free, no brainer.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
cheshiregreen":1toimpuu said:

Threlkeld and Songo'o among those who can play more than one position. Ideally we would have replaced Jake.

Threlkeld's versatility is completely nullified by the fact that if he moves to midfield, Miller is the only other right back. That takes that option off the table.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
With a few versatile players the squad should be more than capable of seeing out the remaining 16 games without any undue problems. The play offs were a bit of a pipe dream and we are not going down. I would rather have the funds in place for the summer and with a trimmed squad with the loanees gone Adams should be in a good position to strengthen again.

Nov 2, 2004
I am a little concerned we are also short of central defenders.We have three available for two places and one of those is an inexperienced kid.One injury and one suspension will mean we end up covering with full backs.There are a lot of games left so fingers crossed.

Jun 24, 2008
justanotherfan":10a8ys0y said:
Balham_Green":10a8ys0y said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":10a8ys0y said:
macleanie":10a8ys0y said:
Jervis reached double figures in both of his last 2 seasons, regardless of whether he wouldve reached that this season or not... he was a goal scorer. Goals win you games. We have lost one with no replacement as it currently stands.

How people can talk about money and his contract running out as an excuse dumbfounds me. If he's part of our squad, sub or not, he has the ability to score goals. Important goals, that's something has has done and is now missing from the squad. Grant and Ainsworth have not proven they can achieve what Jervis has.

Seriously....When exactly did Jervis prove he is a good forward at league one level?

He hasn’t been near the side since we been playing well. Some of the best football we seen under Adams and he isn’t in the team which says to me we were a better team without him.

Exactly.
Hope none of you guys are business men. 125k for a player who would be off in 3 months for free and is not in the team. What's not to like?[/quote]

'

Just the lack of a replacement, the squad looks a little light, agree with the money versus free, no brainer.

I cannot comment on release clause or him wanting to leave. Im gutted he has decided to leave and we didn't do more to keep him. However, I am angry he wasn't replaced or something was done to keep him based on the lack of time to do business and not recognising that goals are valuable. His goals have been important to us. He's got a good scoring record compared to other players and recent seasons.

My point is that without him in the squad, bench or not.. no one is replacing those goals over the past 3 seasons. We didn't sign a replacement so its not really good enough. We are now weaker then when the window opened. Many clubs in our league are now stronger.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
How would he have replaced those goals himself if he was on the bench/not even on the bench? Not sure I see the logic there...

Lameiras is the replacement. Jervis has played on the right wing for the last two years, now it's Reuben's position and you could certainly argue that his goals and assists will more than replace Jake's.

I am sorry to see him go, mind.

Jun 24, 2008
Biggs":2jahmxxh said:
How would he have replaced those goals himself if he was on the bench/not even on the bench? Not sure I see the logic there...

Lameiras is the replacement. Jervis has played on the right wing for the last two years, now it's Reuben's position and you could certainly argue that his goals and assists will more than replace Jake's.

I am sorry to see him go, mind.

That's true but its a squad, players come in and out of the squad. He's been in it more then he has out, and his return has been vital in terms of what other players have produced. The fact he hasn't been replaced is just really worrying. So is the fact he seemed keen to move on.

Logic being, if lamieras gets injured in training tomorrow.. Jervis is the first name to replace him on the team sheet. Now its Ainsworth or Grant. Neither of which I feel are as good as Jervis. Its all about opinions though.

Mar 6, 2011
London / Plymouth
Nobby":1lis8q2d said:
cheshiregreen":1lis8q2d said:

Threlkeld's versatility is completely nullified by the fact that if he moves to midfield, Miller is the only other right back. That takes that option off the table.

Unless Sawyer comes back at RB and Taylor-Sinclair comes in at LB.
Still sad to see Jake go, but understand - especially if he was looking to be off in the summer.

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Another long running thread highlighted how DA hadn't seen fit to include youth players - just maybe this is the opportunity.
Maybe he sees Sangster as someone who will play 4/5 games from now to the end of the season, maybe it the bait that Fletcher needs to really kick on. These lads will now know they have a massive few months, where any injury might mean they get an opportunity that they didn't think they would.
Good money for someone out of contract who isn't featuring regularly. We have moved on some players who aren't ever going to help us progress. Jervis, Wylde, Sokolik are not what we need if in 15 months time we are aiming to be pushing League 1 top 6, so whilst we thank and appreciate JJ for all he has done, he has served his purpose. Time to move on with what we have.

Oct 24, 2010
Getting a fee for a player who, obviously, no longer figures in the manager's plans is good business. Jervis hasn't started for a few weeks now and judging by his substitutions Adams has Grant and Ainsworth ahead of him in the pecking order; football is all about opinions but when it comes to team selection the only opinion that matters is the manager's and Jervis was surplus to requirements.