Home Park capacity | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park capacity

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
From memory the two quadrants either side of the Grandstand would add around another 2,000 to the capacity ..

This is from one of the later planning documents, although the wheelchair provision is for the whole length, not just the west end. The numbers include the stage 2 corners too.

seating capacity.jpg

Screen Corner

🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰
Dec 11, 2016
Balham, London.
Although the refurbishment to the Mayflower looks great, I couldn't quite believe we were reducing our capacity by thousands as a result. If you go by history, that stand could be there for the next 50 years!

If we build for mediocrity (17/18000) then thats what we will achieve. If we build for bigger things (e.g. 22000) then we are more likely to achieve it.

Zoo

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I am absolutely on the side of 20k as a minimum for the medium-long term, but to play devil’s advocate… Brentford‘s new ground is 17,500 and they’re in the Premier League.

What I definitely can see, are the two corners being extensions of the hospitality (as Burnley have done below) rather than standard seating. That way they’re a lot more profitable and you make back the money much quicker, and you can address a 20k+ capacity later with the horseshoe instead.

QVNIMTIwNTgxMjM2.jpg

Aug 13, 2009
Safe standing will also add something to capacity when it is introduced so the minimum 17,500 to 20,000 is I feel achievable if the results and feel good factor around the club continue
Don't think safe-standing will add anything to the capacity.
The Sports Grounds Safety Authority state that:
  • Fans must be able to sit or stand in the licensed area – the seats cannot be locked in the ‘up’ or ‘down’ position. There must also be one seat/space per person.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Don't think safe-standing will add anything to the capacity.
The Sports Grounds Safety Authority state that:
  • Fans must be able to sit or stand in the licensed area – the seats cannot be locked in the ‘up’ or ‘down’ position. There must also be one seat/space per person.
It appears you are correct. It wasn't the case when originally used at other grounds but it does indeed seem to be the case with the new trials.

Feb 20, 2021
I am absolutely on the side of 20k as a minimum for the medium-long term, but to play devil’s advocate… Brentford‘s new ground is 17,500 and they’re in the Premier League.

What I definitely can see, are the two corners being extensions of the hospitality (as Burnley have done below) rather than standard seating. That way they’re a lot more profitable and you make back the money much quicker, and you can address a 20k+ capacity later with the horseshoe instead.

QVNIMTIwNTgxMjM2.jpg
That looks fairly smart. I do seem to remember hearing the Green Taverners can take a 3rd level? Hospitality seems to be sold out most weeks from what I gather so could be a good option in the tunnel corner? Might not be to everyones taste, but from a business point of view it might make sense.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Realistically, without the intervention of a major investor who might make the Premiership a possibility, we don't need to increase the capacity significantly.

But as the aspiration is to become an established Championship club - a realistic aim under the present regime - maybe we should aim to get the capacity up to 20,000.

From an engineering perspective it shouldn't be too difficult but financing it is another matter.

There are a couple of options :

I'm sure that when Barr Construction built the 'horseshoe' back in 2001 there was the potential to add a small mezzanine level around the 3 sides to add another 3-4,000 seats. Does anyone else recall that?

As for the corners at each end of the Grandstand, surely the logical thing to do would be to extend the BP and DE stands around the corners, as per the two corners on the Lyndhurst.

There would be some ground work to do at the DE corner but the structure of the 'horseshoe' comprises relatively cheap generic flat-pack components assembled on site, rather than more costly bespoke engineering.

I don't think we need something like they have done at Turf Moor but in any event, the new corners there were more to do with installing better facilities for their disabled fans rather than their Corporate 'guests'.

Also, there are still on ongoing issues with the refurbished Grandstand to be resolved which will affect capacity. It was disappointing to see so many empty seats up there on Saturday in an otherwise packed Home Park.

Sep 22, 2020
sad fact is highest attendance at Home Park since the horse shoe was for Elton John concert in May 2006 at 22,000.

only 4 attendances greater than 20,000 since horse shoe being:

20,652 watford fac 11.03.07
20,555 leeds utd 14.09.04
20,220 west ham 30.09.04
20,112 Everton 08.01.05

will Home Park ever see an attendance greater than 20,000 ever again???

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
sad fact is highest attendance at Home Park since the horse shoe was for Elton John concert in May 2006 at 22,000.

20,220 west ham 30.09.04
20,112 Everton 08.01.05

All those attendances included standing on the Mayflower terrace which naturally allows more fans to attend.
Home Park switched to all seater in the summer of 2007, we had three years of Championship football before Home Park had to become all seater.

The Elton John concert had fans standing/sitting on the pitch, again this will allow more fans to attend.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
All those attendances included standing on the Mayflower terrace which naturally allows more fans to attend.
Home Park switched to all seater in the summer of 2007, we had three years of Championship football before Home Park had to become all seater.

The Elton John concert had fans standing/sitting on the pitch, again this will allow more fans to attend.

Have the current board considered extending the seating out onto the pitch? Seems a no brainer, especially in front of the goal Argyle are defending. We won't become a sustainable Championship club until we start making these sort of improvements imo.

Mar 23, 2019

20,220 west ham 30.09.04
20,112 Everton 08.01.05

Could have sold 25-30k easily for the Liverpool FA Cup Game.

Jan 6, 2004
I do not believe current capacity will satisfy demand for the stated ambition of being a sustainable Championship club so I would guess there is a plan in place to increase it. There is also an element of build it and they will come - this worked in spades at Bristol City (who after ground modernisation and enlargement now get 20k plus attendances every week as "a sustainable championship club" - this is a club who historically had about the same support as us.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yep exactly. Just seems mad that there are clubs who had lower attendances than us historically who have built 20-30k stadiums, whereas we're sitting here saying 'well we only had 20k this amount of times in the last 20 years' as a reason NOT to have 20k :ROFLMAO:.

It's a moot point obviously, as it's all about cost that can't be justified at the moment and I'm sure the club would go for a 20-25k capacity if they could choose. But I don't get the non-finance arguments against it.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I don't think we need something like they have done at Turf Moor but in any event, the new corners there were more to do with installing better facilities for their disabled fans rather than their Corporate 'guests'.

You're right, but you can use a facility like that for whatever you want.

Oct 23, 2013
As a fan I would feel more comfortable with a larger capacity but I have to reflect upon the fact that since I have been following Argyle (early 80s on) we have had over capacity (aside from during development of course). For some of that time it was massive over capacity with 5,000 crowds in a 35,000 stadium (pre all seater).

Attendances generally have gone up in recent years and so it seems right to debate this issue again. However it is not simply a case of build bigger and they will come, you have to invest a lot wider/wiser that that.

On balance I feel the incremental approach adopted by the board is right. If the grandstand development yields the increased income they propose we will be in a better position to invest. If we have half a season of full stadium (should the promotion push continue) then rather than bemoan the missed match day income (that was never guaranteed) we will find that our finances will be vastly improved and that will be the time to invest further and consider some of the suggestions for incremental improvements but surely we are in no position to consider largescale re-development at this stage.