Georgie Kelly (signs for Rotherham) | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Georgie Kelly (signs for Rotherham)

May 21, 2015
Higher wages, more likely Championship next season and only a couple of players to compete with.

It only just struck me that (including Garrick) we technically have 4 strikers on our books already, despite playing 2 up top that's still can't be that attractive to potential forward signings.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Why are you disappointed Biggs? Do you know something about this one-season 26-year-old wonder that the rest of us don't?

Well maybe not bitterly, but disappointed someone has chosen another club over us. Sounds like we've identified him as someone that could make a difference, and Irish league player of the year isn't bad.

I'd like to fast forward into a future where we're not struggling against clubs like Fleetwood and getting gazumped by 'the likes of' Rotherham :ROFLMAO:

Oct 10, 2012
One good season in a poor league.
Even Patterson and Griffiths were more consistent over the years than this guy!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
One good season in a poor league.
Even Patterson and Griffiths were more consistent over the years than this guy!

I'd have a fair amount of faith in the recruitment process that he has something about him, we wouldn't be signing him based on his Wikipedia or Youtube reel. Plus the level of interest in him from other clubs and countries.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I'd have a fair amount of faith in the recruitment process that he has something about him, we wouldn't be signing him based on his Wikipedia or Youtube reel. Plus the level of interest in him from other clubs and countries.
No convinced myself, seems like a one season wonder if ever I saw one.

Jul 28, 2020
A consolation is that there are similar types out there to Kelly (25), if we are after a target man type- and that they need not cost a fortune.

Ryan Bowman ( 30) is second top scorer at struggling Shrewsbury, with 9 goals ( behind Udoh who has 10). His goal ratio for Shrewsbury is just Less than 1 in 2 ( .41 per game according to BBC stats).

Bowman has been doing it for a lot longer than Kelly- and his work rate is proven, whereas Kelly is an unknown quantity.

Would Shrewsbury consider selling one of their leading strikers ( albeit he has strong West Country connections ) ? Possibly not...

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Read on the Rotherham forum (so take with a very large pinch of salt) that Kelly said he'd only sign for Rotherham if they moved on a striker. Suggests that he was turned off Argyle by our depth in that position - plus, in my view at least, it's likely he'd have been signed as a replacement for Agard rather than going straight into the first team.

Jul 28, 2020
Read on the Rotherham forum (so take with a very large pinch of salt) that Kelly said he'd only sign for Rotherham if they moved on a striker. Suggests that he was turned off Argyle by our depth in that position - plus, in my view at least, it's likely he'd have been signed as a replacement for Agard rather than going straight into the first team.
Interesting to read that. It’s only of academic interest now I guess- but I wonder whether Georgie has watched Michael Smith play ? I don’t envisage Rotherham will be dropping Smith any time soon. How would a Kelly- Smith partnership work. It wouldn’t- in my opinion. Whereas at Argyle, he would have been the only one of his type....

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
A consolation is that there are similar types out there to Kelly (25), if we are after a target man type- and that they need not cost a fortune.

Ryan Bowman ( 30) is second top scorer at struggling Shrewsbury, with 9 goals ( behind Udoh who has 10). His goal ratio for Shrewsbury is just Less than 1 in 2 ( .41 per game according to BBC stats).

Bowman has been doing it for a lot longer than Kelly- and his work rate is proven, whereas Kelly is an unknown quantity.

Would Shrewsbury consider selling one of their leading strikers ( albeit he has strong West Country connections ) ? Possibly not...
Do you think we could afford to sign a player like Bowman?

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
But what evidence are YOU basing that on?

no evidence per se, just a feeling.

League of Ireland is a different level to top end league 1/championship where Rotherham will be playing in the next 18 months.