Fletcher to stay or go(managerial position) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Fletcher to stay or go(managerial position)

Fletcher's position as manager

• Stay

Votes: 110 32.3%
  • Go

Votes: 165 48.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 66 19.4%

• Total voters
Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
A Win against Barnet does not change my mind FFS, they were bottom of the league with 3 pts and we are the mighty Argyle

It will take several back to back wins and a long undefeated run for me to cut him any slack

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
samjones":2ck94wsl said:
A Win against Barnet does not change my mind FFS, they were bottom of the league with 3 pts and we are the mighty Argyle

It will take several back to back wins and a long undefeated run for me to cut him any slack

Hold on! Hold on! Please specify how many back to back wins he would need, I would like to have record of an exact figure just in case you default on this promise :lol:

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Good result but I still think Argyle would benefit from a more experienced manager. Let's see if we can win the next game - otherwise this might turn out to be one of those isolated league wins that have bearly been keeping us afloat so far.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Ollieargyle9":3hwdlr09 said:
samjones":3hwdlr09 said:

Hold on! Hold on! Please specify how many back to back wins he would need, I would like to have record of an exact figure just in case you default on this promise :lol:

Ok I'm not going to be unreasonable. I would love him to come good and see Argyle rocket up the league and secure promotion.

Lets make it easy for him how about 5 back to back wins or an unbeaten record of 8 with at least 4 wins.
I genuinely think this is achieveable and is what is required if we want to be a top of the table team

How many back to back losses will you take before you hang him out to dry ???

Jul 29, 2010
Last week I was undecided but with just one toe left on the fence, I now have one butt cheek on the fence.

Defeat here and it'd have been a 'go' from me, so to have a slight swing back towards him, well done him.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
samjones":ldg4t59s said:
Ollieargyle9":ldg4t59s said:
samjones":ldg4t59s said:

Ok I'm not going to be unreasonable. I would love him to come good and see Argyle rocket up the league and secure promotion.

Lets make it easy for him how about 5 back to back wins or an unbeaten record of 8 with at least 4 wins.
I genuinely think this is achieveable and is what is required if we want to be a top of the table team

How many back to back losses will you take before you hang him out to dry ???

I actually think thats quite fair coming from one of his biggest doubters on here, for me I would say it doesn't come down to winning or losing streaks, I can take a defeat or two, maybe even a run of defeats as long as there is something to our game that shows we have a chance of coming out of the streak. For me personally what I've seen of the way we've been playing, there have been parts of games where we have shown signs that we are a good team, I believe Fletch is onto something here and a few defeats as he begins to put the pieces together I can and have taken in the hope that we will come good.

The real answer is I have no idea, if we did hit a rough patch then I guess it would come down to that point where I lost faith in our ability to end said rough patch, but in all that is fair I feel I should give a proper answer so here it is even if I do feel it could change depending on how and why we lost those games, I would say around the 6-7 games mark but even then if we were absolutely useless in those defeats then I would lower it to 5-6 games similarly if we looked good and were unlucky or rife with injury then I could give him 7-8 games.

Hope that seems fair, I struggled to give figures because I don't see it as being as simple as winning and losing a certain number of games, what I want is progress especially at this level and if I feel we are going backwards or standing still then I will "hang Fletch out to dry", progression can come as slowly or quickly as it wants as long as it is on the cards then it will do me :thumbs:

Nov 8, 2010
When Fletch was appointed, it was a cheap, crap decision, dictated by our dire financial position.

3-4 months into his reign he should have been sacked, for the life of me I couldn't figure out why he wasn't.

Towards the end of the season he performed a minor miracle keeping us up, playing organised (albeit crap to watch) football. He earned his stripes, proved his doubters wrong, and at least deserved a season in charge after that.

But this season, more encouragingly, it's clear he's attempting a total upheaval of the way we play. As long as we aren't troubled by relegation, IMO he should have 18-24 months starting from this season to do what he wants to do with no risk of a P45. I'm happy with top 20 this season, top 10 next season.
We got very lucky with Sturrock at this level last time - THE perfect man for the perfect time. That sort of appointment won't happen again for another 50 years. Sacking Fletch for someone seemingly more experienced will not guarantee anything. Letting the man do his work - giving him some time to stamp his mark on the club - is the best course for the forseeable future. Coming from someone who wanted him sacked from day one.

My last proper rant against Fletch was for signing "a fireman" instead of a "proper striker". Yes, it's early days into the 32 year old fireman's Argyle career, but it would seem Fletch knows a little bit more about football scouting than me. The players clearly enjoy playing under him, he clearly has a good eye for a player, has a good idea of how football should be played, and clearly has a close emotional connection to the club. Brent: give him a long term contract, and only sack him if he properly f**ks up or gets us nowhere in 24 months time please.

Melbourne Mark

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Mar 1, 2006
Melbourne
Manchester Green":1pdmoi2d said:
When Fletch was appointed, it was a cheap, crap decision, dictated by our dire financial position.

3-4 months into his reign he should have been sacked, for the life of me I couldn't figure out why he wasn't.

Towards the end of the season he performed a minor miracle keeping us up, playing organised (albeit crap to watch) football. He earned his stripes, proved his doubters wrong, and at least deserved a season in charge after that.

But this season, more encouragingly, it's clear he's attempting a total upheaval of the way we play. As long as we aren't troubled by relegation, IMO he should have 18-24 months starting from this season to do what he wants to do with no risk of a P45. I'm happy with top 20 this season, top 10 next season.
We got very lucky with Sturrock at this level last time - THE perfect man for the perfect time. That sort of appointment won't happen again for another 50 years. Sacking Fletch for someone seemingly more experienced will not guarantee anything. Letting the man do his work - giving him some time to stamp his mark on the club - is the best course for the forseeable future. Coming from someone who wanted him sacked from day one.

My last proper rant against Fletch was for signing "a fireman" instead of a "proper striker". Yes, it's early days into the 32 year old fireman's Argyle career, but it would seem Fletch knows a little bit more about football scouting than me. The players clearly enjoy playing under him, he clearly has a good eye for a player, has a good idea of how football should be played, and clearly has a close emotional connection to the club. Brent: give him a long term contract, and only sack him if he properly f**ks up or gets us nowhere in 24 months time please.

:nworthy: Great post. Patience and PASOTI don't nomally go together!

Haven't seen Argyle play under Fletcher but credit to him for keeping us up last season. Further credit for trying to get us playing passing football this season.

A

aishburton green

Agree with Manchester Green .
Spot on.
It would be great if Fletch went on and stamped a positive mark on the club.

Jul 27, 2005
Plymouth
I'm prepared to retract my 'go' if we beat Rochdale, although I am waivering slightly after yesterday's impressive result. The reality is it will be tough against 'Dale, who have won four of six away games. So depending on the performance, I'll be prepared to 'cut him some slack.'

Only one win from six at home for us, but only one defeat from six away. CF is getting something right - it's a shame that the majority of us don't get to see it!

Sort the home form and things will be looking up.

COYG! :scarf:

Jun 28, 2006
Salisbury
Sacking Fletcher won't be anywhere near Brent's list of "things to do" this season. A largely pointless thread, this one. He'll want stability not change for the time being at least. Mid-table finish will be a target, I should think, and after the mess we've been in only a miracle worker could have turned us around any quicker than Fletch is doing.

Oct 24, 2010
Fletcher is engaged in a long term project with the support of the owner - building a quality football team playing proper football and happily, barring disaster, will be here for this season and the next, at least, even if our results are mediocre. Given the dire football and associated relegations we have been subjected to over the past few seasons that is something in which we should all rejoice.

R

Rich158

esmer":3bgb3i69 said:
Fletcher is engaged in a long term project with the support of the owner - building a quality football team playing proper football and happily, barring disaster, will be here for this season and the next, at least, even if our results are mediocre. Given the dire football and associated relegations we have been subjected to over the past few seasons that is something in which we should all rejoice.

:iagree: