Family claim they were assaulted by stewards @ Gill's match | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Family claim they were assaulted by stewards @ Gill's match

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Princerock":h7x7nk2g said:
Do Argyle supply their own stewards...or is it contracted out to a company that uses knuckle dragging morons for cheapness.

Don't worry yourself me old mucker, we're uncivilised down here, not for you to think about.

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
L G":od4khwnl said:
I hope the family will be there this afternoon and have no problems.
He will be there, but not the family, they have been put off. Sitting in a different area. This situation has really really p##### me off

Sep 28, 2003
London
Brixton 'ill Pilgrim":f0mixq4l said:
I watched the video of the incident from the Sunderland game on the Herald website.

Anyone who has been to more than half a dozen football matches knows what the potential troublemakers look like (groups of young lads, Stone Island jackets, baseball caps pulled down etc). It's a bit concerning that the stewards get so heavy handed with a guy in full Argyle colours, attending the game with an older gent and two teenage boys, because it suggests they're either totally bereft of common sense or don't have a clue who the real risk cases are.

He may have been in breach of some minor regulation, and he does take umbrage with the mob of stewards that descend on him (though is never abusive in the video) but he is clearly absolutely no threat to anyone's safety or enjoyment of the game.

If he's been a season ticket holder for 20 years and is bringing his Dad and kids along, that's thousands of pounds of past and future revenue to Argyle. We can't afford to lose people like that. I hope the situation can be sensibly resolved.

This is worrying.

I suspect some of the lowlifes we have as stewards would be too scared to take on people who could actually be a real threat, and stick to picking out people who they think they can dominate.

I really hope the club handle this well, but some of the things that have happened this season don't suggest that they will. We haven't got enough fans to start alienating lifers!

Jul 3, 2013
99% of these staff are just jacket fillers anyway, most have never had to deal with difficult situations and when the chance to make a mountain out of a mole hill arises, they turn to jobsworth mode and do so. If I was employing these people then I would be asking questions as to why 3 attended this incident and none of them had a clue as to what to do. It’s a total embarrassment.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
I saw this article a few days ago (but haven’t watched the video).

I have to say I felt a little uncomfortable about the club ‘thanking Plymouth Live for bringing this situation to their attention’ when at least one other individual had contacted the club via E-mail and not received a response.

One wonders if the club would have chosen to investigate the incident if the press hadn’t got hold of the story. What would have happened then?

If the club is sincere in saying that they place ‘the twin values of Fan Focus and Respect at the heart of all of their decisions’, they need to actually do that.

The club statement seems rather hollow to me, which is a real shame.

Aug 4, 2011
Following my earlier comments, about knowing Jason on hello terms, and now watching the video. I also know the steward in the orange jacket (number 4), I’m not going to name him but he is also one of the nicest people you could meet and actually a lifelong argyle fan who still attends away games from time to time.
It reinforces my view that these instructions must come from above. Knowing the steward as I do, confrontation is not in his nature, and nor would peeing off other genuine argyle fans for something apparently as trivial as this.
The club seems like it must have banning targets to meet because it’s becoming ridiculous now.

Sep 3, 2011
I wasn't going to comment but then I watched the video, some familiar faces still there I see. The family have every right to sue the club, although compensation and legal fees would hardly cripple the club (under a six figure sum) it will be the bad publicity being created that will be another problem , which all businesses need to avoid as it puts future investors off.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
pearces greens":3otkvx5e said:
L G":3otkvx5e said:
I hope the family will be there this afternoon and have no problems.
He will be there, but not the family, they have been put off. Sitting in a different area. This situation has really really p##### me off
There are a lot of peed off people at the back of Block 14 too. These lads have been following Argyle for years. Even when we were poo. Some of the decisions by the club are turning away die hard fans. There is a disparity between treatment of all Argyle fans

Sep 18, 2004
West in East Anglia
Mr Gillingham":xuwx6f2l said:
I wasn't going to comment but then I watched the video, some familiar faces still there I see. The family have every right to sue the club, although compensation and legal fees would hardly cripple the club (under a six figure sum) it will be the bad publicity being created that will be another problem , which all businesses need to avoid as it puts future investors off.

Who is to say the club is at fault here.

A man spreading his arms out wide and not agreeing to instructions from club authorised personnel is not automatically entitled to recompense. A lot more back story needs to be reported even though he may be a long standing customer, no matter if it is two and a half minutes or twenty years. Step over a line expect an official response.

Sep 3, 2011
PAFC Norfolk":1vitrbwj said:
Mr Gillingham":1vitrbwj said:

A man spreading his arms out wide and not agreeing to instructions from club authorised personnel is not automatically entitled to recompense. A lot more back story needs to be reported even though he may be a long standing customer, no matter if it is two and a half minutes or twenty years. Step over a line expect an official response.

The club clearly did not investigate this incident as the family returned for the Sunderland game, only to be chucked out again. If the club had investigated and found the family at fault then they would have been notified, clearly this didn't happen. How long did the Sunderland fans breech ground regulations by standing?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Mr Gillingham":1xcay51i said:
PAFC Norfolk":1xcay51i said:
Mr Gillingham":1xcay51i said:

The club clearly did not investigate this incident as the family returned for the Sunderland game, only to be chucked out again. If the club had investigated and found the family at fault then they would have been notified, clearly this didn't happen. How long did the Sunderland fans breech ground regulations by standing?

Why would you be chucked out of a game for climbing over a seat at a previous game?
Being removed was the sanction surely?
Without an investigation and 'sentence' surely your status as a ST Holder 'resets' for the next match?
Are we saying that the Stewards can continue to 'punish' fans for unproven 'offences'?

I don't know who is right or the full story but someone at the club needs to get a grip on this, for everyone's sake. :think:

Nov 7, 2012
Plymouth
I work within the police ( not going to divulge more information) and believe me, don’t believe everything you see when the cameras suddenly start rolling, all I see here are a group of stewards including SIA licensed personnel, politely asking a member of the public to go away from the crowd and have a private world downstairs about an incident that has seemingly taken place before hand, (common place to negate the fact of hostility within a crowd) , refusal from the person in question, and the supervisor in an orange jacket clearly being told instruction from control. When someone flat out refuses to cooperate they need to be removed from the situation, otherwise what’s the point of security if you’re just going to give in with the first sign of a rebuff? Everyone shouting to let him go and giving the steward abuse? It’s most probably not their choice and they will be getting orders from control, I’m sure there are procedures to follow when this situation presents itself.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
I've not read the four pages I've just watched that video.

Think the man they ejected is being unreasonable and the stewards are under serious pressure. I don't think they've done anything wrong.

Does anybody have the full facts?

May 16, 2016
Thomas Edwards":dzy6rwwp said:
I've not read the four pages I've just watched that video.

Think the man they ejected is being unreasonable and the stewards are under serious pressure. I don't think they've done anything wrong.

Does anybody have the full facts?

Like knowing the full facts will matter to anyone wanting to blame everything on the Club.