Family claim they were assaulted by stewards @ Gill's match | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Family claim they were assaulted by stewards @ Gill's match

Aug 4, 2011
Spot on Stuart. I also happen to know a couple of stewards who are thoroughly decent chaps. I just think some of them put the hi-viz on and get a power trip.

10 years ago there used to be 15 of us with season tickets in block 14. This season just 3. People are feeling alienated and disillusioned by the clubs decisions and treatment of some supporters

Nov 15, 2011
Stewarding is not always easy and can throw up some difficult challenging situations. As Derek has identified there are a few ā€˜yobsā€™ at Argyle, like all grounds across the country. Walking across the seats is wrong, but seen every week and not the crime of the century. Surely a quiet word could easily have resolved the position. Having ā€˜ dealtā€™ with the situation in a heavy handed way surely that should have been the end the end of the matter. With some Sunderland fans clearly showing support in the home end only Argyle stewards could then ignore that and throw out a loyal 20 year season ticket holder, who as far as I know has never caused any trouble. Indeed I have seen Jason in the ground many times and we could do with a few more fans as enthusiastic as he is. It really is unbelievable! What would be nice is, after their investigation is complete, some genuine leadership was shown by the Argyle Management and they admit an over reaction has taken place and a gesture made to welcome back Jason who deserves greater respect than he has been shown for 20 years of loyalty.
Argyle stewarding has raised many concerns over the years and it is about time they started looking after the fans as ā€˜customersā€™.

metroace

ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
pearces greens":3rgfsku4 said:
metroace":3rgfsku4 said:
Not alienating me. Anyone else here feeling alienated?
Like he said "one by one" they haven't reached you yet, they are leaving the d### h#### until last

There is no need for that from one fan to another. It is quite illuminating about you though.

Aug 2, 2011
Stuart House":3mxpjfg5 said:
They are alienating people. I know alot of people that have been kicked out for standing or other minor issues this season. All on instruction from above apparently.

If you want to sit in a sole less stadium watching the game then so be it, because that's the way its going. The atmosphere is being destroyed.

And a lot of it does stem from complaints from those who previously sat in the grandstand and are not used to their current surroundings.

Rightly or wrongly this is diluting the atmosphere, and making many feeling alienated in the respect that their match day experience has had to change because of their new neighbours.

Been going to HP for 60+ years. Never had any problem with stewarding. So a few are being alienated because they want to stand without regard to anyone else. Notithstanding like it or not HP is an all seater stadium and if someone pays for a seat they have a resonable right to have an unobstructed view of tbe game. There remains blocks behind the devonport end which persist in standing and the stewards do nothing about it. So where is all this alienation about standing.

I Have seen one incident in the last 10 years when a fan has been warned by a steward. That occurred this season. The individual concerned persisted in jumping up every few minutes and yelling obscene abuse. He was not thrown out but warned and quietly sat through the second half of the game. Unfortunately only one side of a story is reflected here. The stewards are easy targets invariably being blamed for the unacceptable behaviour of a few.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Presto":2y1ajb8w said:
Stuart House":2y1ajb8w said:
They are alienating people. I know alot of people that have been kicked out for standing or other minor issues this season. All on instruction from above apparently.

If you want to sit in a sole less stadium watching the game then so be it, because that's the way its going. The atmosphere is being destroyed.

And a lot of it does stem from complaints from those who previously sat in the grandstand and are not used to their current surroundings.

Rightly or wrongly this is diluting the atmosphere, and making many feeling alienated in the respect that their match day experience has had to change because of their new neighbours.

Been going to HP for 60+ years. Never had any problem with stewarding. So a few are being alienated because they want to stand without regard to anyone else. Notithstanding like it or not HP is an all seater stadium and if someone pays for a seat they have a resonable right to have an unobstructed view of tbe game. There remains blocks behind the devonport end which persist in standing and the stewards do nothing about it. So where is all this alienation about standing.

I Have seen one incident in the last 10 years when a fan has been warned by a steward. That occurred this season. The individual concerned persisted in jumping up every few minutes and yelling obscene abuse. He was not thrown out but warned and quietly sat through the second half of the game. Unfortunately only one side of a story is reflected here. The stewards are easy targets invariably being blamed for the unacceptable behaviour of a few.

What about those complaining whose views are unobstructed by people stood?

Fwiw I've never had an issue with a steward either, at any ground home and away. That's not to say that I'm not concerned with the behaviour of some of ours, particularly regarding the treatment of those in the incident to which this thread refers.

The details we have is that one of the teenage lads hoped over the seat in front in order to not inconvenience others while popping to the loo. The stewards overreacted at this and have kicked the whole family of season ticket holders out twice.

Some will always side with the authority that is the hi-vis and assume undisclosed wrongdoing from the family. That is an assumption that goes against the personal character references offered.

This overreaction in contrast to the casual approach to Sunderland fans in home areas is frankly bizarre. As Gaspar said, it's almost as if some, emphasis on some (few even), stewards are looking for trouble. They should be looking out for trouble, not desperately seeking it. Have they a quota to hit?

C

centralgreen

Two part posting:

Very surprised to see the article relates to Jason and his family.
Whilst I wasn't Sat close to the incident I have known Jason for many years. I have sat/ stood close to him on many occasions both home and away. A very passionate Argyle supporter and a decent bloke. I can't imagine him creating any trouble and if it got to that point it could only have arisen from severe provocation and the need to support / protect family members. I hope a satisfactory resolution can be found asap.

Having visited many grounds across the Country I don't rate a number of the Stewards @ Argyle.
No real interaction with the fans and a few are out to make a name for themselves by picking on what I would call easy targets.. Having attended the Sunderland game I didn't see any of their fans being ejected for standing. Also is there any truth they were allowed out of the stadium to have a smoke ?

This is not the first time a posting on Pasoti has been raised in connection with the standard of stewarding @ HP.

May 16, 2016
Knibbsworth":2klwzyir said:
I can't help but assume that the word 'assault' will have been a dramatic exaggeration.

Not enough detail to draw a conclusion in this instance, although I'm still not sure why they were thrown out twice, but, in general I've noticed a redefinition of description for modern life.

Touched = Assault
Miffed = Outraged
Surprised = Horrified
Selfish = Basic Right to
Shocked = Traumatised
Mulled over = Required Counselling
Lesson Learnt = Mentally Scarred
In the wrong = Victimised

........etc etc.

Jul 3, 2006
I watched the video of the incident from the Sunderland game on the Herald website.

Anyone who has been to more than half a dozen football matches knows what the potential troublemakers look like (groups of young lads, Stone Island jackets, baseball caps pulled down etc). It's a bit concerning that the stewards get so heavy handed with a guy in full Argyle colours, attending the game with an older gent and two teenage boys, because it suggests they're either totally bereft of common sense or don't have a clue who the real risk cases are.

He may have been in breach of some minor regulation, and he does take umbrage with the mob of stewards that descend on him (though is never abusive in the video) but he is clearly absolutely no threat to anyone's safety or enjoyment of the game.

If he's been a season ticket holder for 20 years and is bringing his Dad and kids along, that's thousands of pounds of past and future revenue to Argyle. We can't afford to lose people like that. I hope the situation can be sensibly resolved.

Princerock

ā™£ļø PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Do Argyle supply their own stewards...or is it contracted out to a company that uses knuckle dragging morons for cheapness.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
I'm surprised we haven't had a definitive statement yet from Home Park as the "incident" was nearly 3 weeks ago.

Perhaps then the rest of us will know what heinous crime we need to avoid.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
David_Fisher":21pbe6sy said:
I'm surprised we haven't had a definitive statement yet from Home Park as the "incident" was nearly 3 weeks ago.

Perhaps then the rest of us will know what heinous crime we need to avoid.

If you make the row stand up to allow you out for the loo would everyone be kicked out for standing?