Facade | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Facade

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
Well, it's not the greatest bit of public Art Deco, but it is ours and there's not much around in Plymouth. Even less when the Reel is demolished and seems the future of the former Habitat building in Colin Campbell Court (now, that is a bit of substantial Art Deco) is pretty dodgy. Keep it and nurture it!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
You’ve forgotten the glorious lido Duncan!

Agree about the ‘Habitat’ building.

Have you seen the pink and green flat next to the Palace Theatre? A little Jewell that one!

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
I like our facade but I would never have described it as Art Deco. To me Art Deco is something to celebrate when it goes, especially if it is pink and green! Green and Black would be a different matter.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
The last time I was in the City Centre, Drakes Circus hadn't been built (in it's current form at least). I have just been street viewing and am saddened by the state of the buildings. Pearl Assurance House is a case in point - it is in need of a bloody good clean! The buildings on Royal Parade used to gleam, now they all look dirty. The old Habitat building would look fine if the exterior was cleaned. Sad to see how most of the stonework has been neglected by the owners. Trying to remember what the Reel used to be called - but can anybody really say they'll miss it in its current state? (Anyway - now well OT)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Argylegames":t9lja7jr said:
The last time I was in the City Centre, Drakes Circus hadn't been built (in it's current form at least).

You haven't been to Plymouth city centre for 12 years? :shocked: :lol:

It has and continues to be completely transformed by Bretonside, The Box museum, Derrys Cross redevelopment, Theatre Royal refurb, Beckley Point etc etc etc but I completely agree with you that pressure cleaning those Royal Parade Portland stone buildings is badly needed and would be a massive improvement. The Civic Centre should start its redevelopment soon, too.

Feb 28, 2016
Argylegames":3cds7zow said:
The last time I was in the City Centre, Drakes Circus hadn't been built (in it's current form at least). I have just been street viewing and am saddened by the state of the buildings. Pearl Assurance House is a case in point - it is in need of a bloody good clean! The buildings on Royal Parade used to gleam, now they all look dirty. The old Habitat building would look fine if the exterior was cleaned. Sad to see how most of the stonework has been neglected by the owners. Trying to remember what the Reel used to be called - but can anybody really say they'll miss it in its current state? (Anyway - now well OT)

Reel was (and still commonly referred to as,) the ABC. I for one will miss it. It’s not often I go the pictures but if I do I always go there. Probably won’t bother after next month, I’ll just wait until films are out on video/the telly.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Biggs":1gg54tbi said:
You haven't been to Plymouth city centre for 12 years? :shocked: :lol:

I haven't been anywhere in Plymouth apart from Ford Park (once), Weston Mill (many times), the homes of some relatives, and Home Park for 40+ years. It amazes me how much of the city centre looks the same, apart from the pedestrianisation. Spooners, Dingles, Lawsons, Timothy Whites, Derrys. All gone.

When you visit HP in a 6-7 hour driving round trip it is hard to justify going 'in town'. :)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
MarkMatthews":2xyokt85 said:
Argylegames":2xyokt85 said:

Reel was (and still commonly referred to as,) the ABC. I for one will miss it. It’s not often I go the pictures but if I do I always go there. Probably won’t bother after next month, I’ll just wait until films are out on video/the telly.

Why does it surprise me that you refuse to see films at a modern multiplex ;) ? And I really, really hope you mean DVD/blu-ray and not VHS video :lol:

Only joking... but the Bretonside IMAX will be an incredible way to watch movies (something like Dunkirk would be sensational), and the Plymouth Arts Centre cinema has moved into very nice new digs at the College of Art. Probably to be closer to the new museum, so there are lots of options in the city centre.

Hope they keep the Reel facade though, to bring the topic sort of back on track.

Jul 6, 2005
Argylegames":2lbnxfjb said:
The 1971 Drake Circus revamp removed one of the most iconic city buildings, the Liverpool Victoria Insurance offices with the Guiness Clock. It will be sad to see the ABC go, it was originally the Royal and a similar piece of architecture looking equally sad now is the Odeon in Union Street, previous named The Gaument. Colin Campbell Court was originally car show rooms and it has always been a bit of a hidden gem due to its location, although that wasn't the case when it built in 1938 when the lay-out of the city was completely different.

As with the old Midland Bank facade in Fore Street and the WMN facade in New George Street, Argyle are doing the right thing with the restoration of the Ballard facade and turnstiles. It maintains a link with the past and provides some much needed character amidst the soulless modern structures that are so prevalent today.

John Cooper

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Looks like the white painting is completed, the guys cracked on yesterday with painting the black trim. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the scaffolding come down soon.....

Apr 15, 2008
London
MarkMatthews":2weyvbkf said:
Argylegames":2weyvbkf said:

I haven't been down that end of town in ages but the ABC and the Drake Cinema were amazing cinemas - the number of great films I saw in those places .

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
MarkMatthews":1drsx6ri said:
Argylegames":1drsx6ri said:

For me it has always been the "Royal".