Danny Mayor signs!!! | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Danny Mayor signs!!!

Tony Pastyman

ā™£ļø Senior Greens
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 1, 2008
Well I hope that Ryan has got his man!
It seems it won't be for lack of trying. Come on Argyle let's have some good news.

cheshiregreen

āœ… Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
What I find interesting is RL's seemingly openness with fans and media compared to the previous incumbent of the post (assuming the post from pilgrim plastic is genuine).

Of course, this might lead to building fans expectations and potentially then not delivering which could the case with Mayor. He also spoken openly about Devitt when asked and in his introductory press conference said he has made offers to two players - we have heard nothing more on these despite RL saying there was a deadline of 7 to 10 days.

I just wonder though how RL will handle things moving ahead? At Bury I would suggest he was less in the "goldfish bowl" than he will be at Home Park merely because of the numerous other teams in Greater Manchester. At Argyle the spotlight will be more intense than he is familiar with.

Maybe doing him a disservice here but I am not sure if he has yet fully grasped the fan base's expectation especially when in League 2.

As always if results and performances are good this won't be an issue but if there is a poor patch will we see a less open style or different approach? How will he react to any criticism from fans and media at a club where he is not (yet) a legend?

Mark Smith

āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
cheshiregreen":sa0sne4b said:
At Argyle the spotlight will be more intense than he is familiar with.

Yes, fielding tricky questions about cream first or jam first...

Joking aside, I agree it might well be a different scene at HP in terms of expectation and media and fan attention.

However, while I know he's barely arrived, with not a ball kicked in anger, I'm liking his style such as it is being reported.

It will be interesting to hear in due course what the old guard think about his methods on the training ground. Getting back to Mayor et al, one mark of his pedigree will be his ability to get decent players to follow him, as his back-room team have.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
If the rumours are true that he is possibly wanted by Bristol Rovers and Ipswich, then I guess they would offer more money and obviously a higher division to play in. Against that, he could be tempted by the fact that walking into Argyle, he would be guaranteed regular first team football. It would be like going back to work at Bury. Same coaching staff, hopefully some former team mates, but better set up, much nicer area, Dartmoor and coastline on doorstep. How supportive is his wife, where do their immediate family live etc. All things any player has to weigh up. Heā€™s ex-Wednesday, heā€™s bound to sign!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Devongreenowl":1x002nhk said:
If the rumours are true that he is possibly wanted by Bristol Rovers and Ipswich, then I guess they would offer more money and obviously a higher division to play in. Against that, he could be tempted by the fact that walking into Argyle, he would be guaranteed regular first team football. It would be like going back to work at Bury. Same coaching staff, hopefully some former team mates, but better set up, much nicer area, Dartmoor and coastline on doorstep. How supportive is his wife, where do their immediate family live etc. All things any player has to weigh up. Heā€™s ex-Wednesday, heā€™s bound to sign!
He was here on Wednesday, apparently.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
cheshiregreen":dkaexawl said:
What I find interesting is RL's seemingly openness with fans and media compared to the previous incumbent of the post (assuming the post from pilgrim plastic is genuine).

Of course, this might lead to building fans expectations and potentially then not delivering which could the case with Mayor. He also spoken openly about Devitt when asked and in his introductory press conference said he has made offers to two players - we have heard nothing more on these despite RL saying there was a deadline of 7 to 10 days.

I just wonder though how RL will handle things moving ahead? At Bury I would suggest he was less in the "goldfish bowl" than he will be at Home Park merely because of the numerous other teams in Greater Manchester. At Argyle the spotlight will be more intense than he is familiar with.

Maybe doing him a disservice here but I am not sure if he has yet fully grasped the fan base's expectation especially when in League 2.

As always if results and performances are good this won't be an issue but if there is a poor patch will we see a less open style or different approach? How will he react to any criticism from fans and media at a club where he is not (yet) a legend?

From the snippets we've had so far I would say HIS expectations are now aligned with both the fanbase and Simon Hallett.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Adam_R":20e84cxl said:
cheshiregreen":20e84cxl said:

From the snippets we've had so far I would say HIS expectations are now aligned with both the fanbase and Simon Hallett.

I know what you mean, but Ryan Lowe is a man who knows about massive expectations. He played for Sheffield Wednesday!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
davie nine":1dy6yns7 said:
Devongreenowl":1dy6yns7 said:
He was here on Wednesday, apparently.

Yep, the stars are aligned!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
At least we know that if Danny Mayor is walking into the Memorial Stadium this morning, he is going to be mightily underwhelmed, having seen the progress thatā€™s going on at Home Park. Bristol Rovers are massively overshadowed by their City neighbours. He played at a better ground when he was at Bury!

Mar 14, 2009
I re-iterate what l said yesterday.

I think Argyle will have stiff competition in terms of getting Mayor here. Not just on a location or a financial standpoint, which we know is difficult enough, but because he would require to start again in L2.

This maybe his last real chance at his peak to test himself at a higher level. Your asking a player to sacrifice a year minimum just to go from a league heā€™s just got promoted to, back to a league heā€™s proved heā€™s too good for.

The hope of course is the lure of playing under a manager that he knows and enjoys playing for.

I think this will be a major signing if we pull it off. I think though l am cautiously inclined to think the fact we are in L2 may go against us on this occasion. Hope lm wrong.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Metal_Green_Mickey":flj62ox4 said:
I re-iterate what l said yesterday.

I think Argyle will have stiff competition in terms of getting Mayor here. Not just on a location or a financial standpoint, which we know is difficult enough, but because he would require to start again in L2.

This maybe his last real chance at his peak to test himself at a higher level. Your asking a player to sacrifice a year minimum just to go from a league heā€™s just got promoted to, back to a league heā€™s proved heā€™s too good for.

The hope of course is the lure of playing under a manager that he knows and enjoys playing for.

I think this will be a major signing if we pull it off. I think though l am cautiously inclined to think the fact we are in L2 may go against us on this occasion. Hope lm wrong.

Hopefully the gaffer and known style of play will work in our favour. If he goes elsewhere who play a different brand, he may not be as effective. He may have seen the adoration that Carey received from the GA and wants to be the next.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
The journalist who tweeted that he was due to visit another club today has written an article today which says "The Preston youth product was due to visit another club based outside the North West today."

WAS due to. Could be suggesting he's decided against visiting the other club.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
I think thereā€™s every possibility he came to Home Park to have a look around only as a courtesy to his old boss. I donā€™t think, with the other clubs mentioned that we are any closer to his signature than the others due to the facts that the others play in a higher league and that must surely be a bigger draw than the Hoe and Dartmoor.

If he signs iā€™ll be as ecstatic as the next man but we need to prepare ourselves in case it doesnā€™t marginalise.