Brief Synopsis!!! (Wycombe) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Wycombe)

Mar 16, 2009
London
Mark Pedlar":24kikhtt said:
The change was needed in midfield. Smith and Fox were knackered. Bulvitis with Songo'o moving into midfield. Or Purrington with Thelkeld doing the same was what I thought was required.

I find it extraordinary that no change was made. But I wasn't there, so thanks for your view on this. Totally understandable that players were knackered. Also I thought an advantage of a bigger squad this season was for exactly a situation like this.... Players knowing the drill for this scenario. It's a squad game after all.

It clearly seems like a huge tactical oversight, and 2 crucial points dropped.

Sep 6, 2006
Justin":2bpyudak said:
Mark Pedlar":2bpyudak said:
The change was needed in midfield. Smith and Fox were knackered. Bulvitis with Songo'o moving into midfield. Or Purrington with Thelkeld doing the same was what I thought was required.

I find it extraordinary that no change was made. But I wasn't there, so thanks for your view on this. Totally understandable that players were knackered. Also I thought an advantage of a bigger squad this season was for exactly a situation like this.... Players knowing the drill for this scenario. It's a squad game after all.

It clearly seems like a huge tactical oversight, and 2 crucial points dropped.

Don't always agree with Adams tactics but not sure how the options on the bench could have changed things much. There was no midfielder on the bench.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Felt deflated at the end, but can now look back on what was a very entertaining match. There was never a dull moment - utterly absorbing, who'd have thought that about a game involving Wycombe?

We were the better side, always looked dangerous but never in any sort of control. Bradley & Threlkeld excellent, Slew put in a helluva shift and Garita was, well, Garita (Love him!) but he didn't get anything from the ref unlike Akinfenwa who deserved about six yellows at least but is smart enough to avoid them. Don't agree with some comments about Carey - always a threat IMO & hit some terrific balls (one fabulous pass first half) but did cock it up for their first. All in all a great advert for L2 - if we continue to play like that we will definitely be in a higher division next Boxing Day.

Jul 3, 2013
nick_PASTIE":1pkf1j8i said:
Akinfenwa basically bulldozed his way through Bradley for the 2nd goal. If that is now in the rules we need Garita to start doing the same to opposition defenders.

Ridiculous.

A great ball in the box and Bradley has to do much better, he was hardly touched.
Bradley should also have been challenging him for the long ball which led to the equaliser but instead Songo dealt with it when a Defensive header would of cleared danger.

3 points against Crawley and we have had an outstanding December.

May 22, 2006
Wycombe seem to be our bogey side having won all of their previous five games at Home Park. Therefore a draw, which was a fair result, can be seen as a sort of progress. While people knock Ainsworth for his tactics, he seems to be good at managing to get results against us. In the playoff he spotted the vulnerability to defend in swinging corners. With Sam Saunders back to Brentford, today we witnessed a new tactic - ignore the midfield an knock the ball up to Akinfenwa. The amount of trouble he caused the defence, the tactic broadly worked. We struggled to adequately deal with him and the guy looks fitter than ever, easily lasting the 90 mins.

Argyle played well in parts. Slew and Jervis looked dangerous on the wings and Garita caused plenty of problems. Unfortunately a poor pass by Carey and a good poke from Akinfenwa, was well finished to give Wycombe the lead. Argyle responded with Smith crashing the ball against the bar, before a slightly fortuitous equaliser as the goal keeper allowed the ball to squirm over the line. Good work from Garita saw the keeper push the ball to Jervis who bundled the ball over the line. Argyle's third scruffy goal came as Songo bundled the ball over the line, with his hand according to protesting defenders.

Despite a two goal lead, Argyle never looked comfortable. Akinfenwa volleyed in a cross and at the end, a Wycombe player was unmarked to smash the ball home from the edge of the box. Points dropped as Argyle failed to stop the supply into the box. The Wycombe goals were all good finishes and they were worthy of a point. Argyle always looked like they needed another goal and despite creating some chances, it was not to be. Maybe next time we play at HP we can manage a win, although hopefully not for a while if we can avoid them by getting promoted.

Aug 7, 2005
Paignton
I think Wycombe are actually a decent side when they play football. Drawing from a 3-1 lead is hard to take but after we went one down early I thought my afternoon was ruined. When chasing the game Wycombe are a good side and worthy of their draw. We can't win them all and I had a bad feeling about this game so overall happy with the day.

Aaargh! Bleddy liverpool game. The delay in ko meant i missed the last 15 as i had a lift prearranged
to pick me up after. So i will be even more glad when all this premier league adulation poo is over and we
can get back to just argyle again.
As for what i did manage to see i was very disappointed with us starting with 4231 yet again at home.
I would have thought the 4141 performance and 2-0 result against a freescoring highflying donny merited
another go in a home game where we once again failed to control a game albeit against an inform wycombe.
The score when i left was 3-2 which was just about the right scoreline up to that point but i did feel we needed
another goal as WWFC always looked threatening and hey presto when i got home. Gutted boy. Gutted.
Ainsworth and porky having the last laugh on us yet again.
At least we didnt lose but it must have felt like a defeat at the end to the massive 12k crowd and the players
after losing a 2 goal lead like that.
The best argyle thing i saw today was our counterattacking which was much more effective with garita(MOM), slew
and JJ all outstanding especially first half. Argyle did well to come from behind in that first period
and just about edged it mainly through those attacking front 3 who caused mayhem with their power and pace.
Unfortunately the defence and midfield couldnt match their exploits. GC was off his game as a number10
again. Fox and smith with little physical presence unable to control midfield or screen the back 4 well
enough and the 4 defenders failing as a unit to deal with a pretty basic WWFC gameplan of lumping it forward
in akinfenwas direction on most occasions.
Even luke i thought should have come for their second as akinfenwa knocked it in from the edge of the 6
yard box from a long diagonal cross. Their first and the crucial opener came from a carey gaffe which we
did well to fight back from within a good spell of football with firstly smith curling a shot onto the
crossbar and then slew equalising with a low shot under the keeper and then creeping over the line.
We then went ahead when garita broke away and set up JJ to bundle in. However all this time we were never
in control and they were just as threatening especially from set pieces from which one they had a free header
against our bar.
Into the second half we got a third from a carey corner which looked like it just hit their keeper and
bounced in although it was given to yanner on the tannoy so not sure about that one. So 3-1 up and all it
needed now, you would have thought, was a typical gritty away like performance of defending to clinch a
crucial win but we just dont seem to be able to do it in home games it would seem.
Its so frustrating.
So 4231 at home has failed again although to be fair the front 3 were excellent in it today. The number 10
position is a problem though with carey not as influential as he once was. So maybe out wide and coming inside
is a better option for him? Or centre mid in the 4141 if he wants to keep slew and JJ wide?
I hope del boy does give 4141 another try on saturday. It might just be the long term answer for home games.
If it is to be 4231 again then i hope yann is moved back into centre mid to give us a bit more presence in there.
Today he could have doubled up with the cbs in nullifying akinfenwas threat.
Whatever it should be an easier game as ainsworths lot were their usual difficult physical selves. At least
being behind most of the game we didnt have to endure their usual deliberate timewasting and slowing down of
the game. They still had the last word though. Bollox.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It looked to me like an overhead kick from Songo'o although he didn't intend it.

Adams said after the game he was "livid" the game was delayed until 3.15 and it should not have happened and he doesn't blame the ref.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
PL2 3DQ":11wfa0wn said:
It looked to me like an overhead kick from Songo'o although he didn't intend it.

Agreed, looks like a leg not an arm just Wycombe's cheats appealing for it.

Can have no complaints on their 2nd, Akinfenwa got away with a lot but Bradley should have done far better. Contact was minimal and on the replay it looks obvious that he's playing for the foul.

Went home from this one particularly annoyed as I felt we threw it away. A two goal lead should have been the game but for some reason we folded; we sat back and let them attack us which is dangerous but to our credit has worked fairly well this year however we were tired, our midfield in particular, Wycombe had 3 fresh faces meanwhile we remained unchanged despite us playing a mid-week game, it was a huge error and only a matter of time before we would concede. A sorry end to a decent performance but win on Saturday and December will have been a huge success.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
A new RB in January please

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Tugboat":2i89u9wj said:
A new RB in January please

Miller played well for me. Got forward really well. Dont get the criticism of him today.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I think our best right back is currently our third choice left back but bizarrely is the best of the three and also our most energised midfielder. #confused

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
PL2 3DQ":5upwdf9p said:
I think our best right back is currently our third choice left back but bizarrely is the best of the three and also our most energised midfielder. #confused

Quite, we could do with a couple more Threlkeld's. to be fair, when Ben P and Bully/Osborne are back to full fitness Purrington can slot in at left back, put Oscar back on the right, Songo'o to the midfield and Bully back with Bradley.

Worked well for us before, although Miller was getting the nod ahead of Threlkeld.