Brief Synopsis!!! (Wycombe) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Wycombe)

Mar 16, 2009
London
Balham_Green":27ufwlz6 said:
Justin":27ufwlz6 said:
Mark Pedlar":27ufwlz6 said:
The change was needed in midfield. Smith and Fox were knackered. Bulvitis with Songo'o moving into midfield. Or Purrington with Thelkeld doing the same was what I thought was required.

I find it extraordinary that no change was made. But I wasn't there, so thanks for your view on this. Totally understandable that players were knackered. Also I thought an advantage of a bigger squad this season was for exactly a situation like this.... Players knowing the drill for this scenario. It's a squad game after all.

It clearly seems like a huge tactical oversight, and 2 crucial points dropped.

Don't always agree with Adams tactics but not sure how the options on the bench could have changed things much. There was no midfielder on the bench.

Looking at the third Wycombe goal on the highlights - it's a perfect example of mental and physical tiredness.

Their guy totally unmarked on the edge of the box... no tracking back by midfield... defenders taking the wrong man.

But really what should happen when 3-1 up is you set yourself up to counter attack. Drop deep, allow opposition the possession, then break on the counter attack into the space they leave behind them... surely Tanner could have come on to offer this outlet.... Goodwillie too.

May 22, 2006
PL2 3DQ":2yq8xmtx said:
I think our best right back is currently our third choice left back but bizarrely is the best of the three and also our most energised midfielder. #confused

Totally agree. The fullbacks today did not have too much defending to do today as Wycombe concentrated on trying to knock it to Akinfenwa. Threlkeld played well despite getting walloped early on. In the second half, he made an important tackle at right back when Miller went walk about. Miller had plenty of opportunities to go on the attack but tended to venture forward and then had no idea what to do. On various occasion he was tackled;hit a defender with a cross; failed to find Jervis with a 10 yard pass or back tracked and passed backwards.

Would like to see Purrington at left back and Threlkeld on right. They could give us more attacking options and let Slew and Jervis push on a bit to add to the attacking threat.

After several clean sheets, Adams seems loathed to change things. Bully or Osborne could strengthen the back four with Songo giving more bite in midfield. A couple of tweaks to the defence could make us hard to beat and give us a more attacking formation. We are still well placed in the league and Adams doesn't appear to be a chance taker to see if changes could further improve us.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Miller takes far too much flack on here. Nothing special but a solid enough RB and a committed pro. I thought he played well today.

Mar 14, 2009
Just cant shake that feeling of being gutted.

Its not that its Wycombe. Its that our key to promotion is sorting out the home form. Whilst results aren't terrible when you are 3-1 up with (30 or less) minutes remaining you should see it out at home. A win today would of felt like we are stretching away from 5th (shaking off teams in form like Wycombe, Cambridge etc..) and trying to make it so it 3 teams from 4 for promotion.

However, credit must be given to Wycombe. They really do fight for their lives. They play the game to the limit (and slightly beyond if they aren't being caught) but showed touches of real quality. They are a well organised, drilled team who have a players who know how to cross, especially on set pieces. That last goal was a very good finish. Good composure considering the match situation.

For me it proves you don't need a massive budget in this league. Wycombe don't have one but they keep doing well in this league year after year. You just need a manager who can organise a team, motivate them and has a team drilled for set pieces (eg Blocking off the goalkeeper)on top of a person who can take whip in excellent corners/free kicks consistently.

Sep 6, 2006
Justin":sqzhb55c said:
Balham_Green":sqzhb55c said:
Justin":sqzhb55c said:
Mark Pedlar":sqzhb55c said:
The change was needed in midfield. Smith and Fox were knackered. Bulvitis with Songo'o moving into midfield. Or Purrington with Thelkeld doing the same was what I thought was required.

I find it extraordinary that no change was made. But I wasn't there, so thanks for your view on this. Totally understandable that players were knackered. Also I thought an advantage of a bigger squad this season was for exactly a situation like this.... Players knowing the drill for this scenario. It's a squad game after all.

Don't always agree with Adams tactics but not sure how the options on the bench could have changed things much. There was no midfielder on the bench.

Looking at the third Wycombe goal on the highlights - it's a perfect example of mental and physical tiredness.

Their guy totally unmarked on the edge of the box... no tracking back by midfield... defenders taking the wrong man.

But really what should happen when 3-1 up is you set yourself up to counter attack. Drop deep, allow opposition the possession, then break on the counter attack into the space they leave behind them... surely Tanner could have come on to offer this outlet.... Goodwillie too.

They are no better than the forwards already on the pitch.

May 1, 2011
nick_PASTIE":35f87wis said:
Akinfenwa basically bulldozed his way through Bradley for the 2nd goal. If that is now in the rules we need Garita to start doing the same to opposition defenders.

Ridiculous.

That did not happen unless you are wearing green glasses.

The CB's had to be stronger.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Balham_Green":13ispeg4 said:
Justin":13ispeg4 said:
Balham_Green":13ispeg4 said:
Justin":13ispeg4 said:
Mark Pedlar":13ispeg4 said:

They are no better than the forwards already on the pitch.

Fresh legs. Basic stuff.

Dec 3, 2005
Akinfenwa is a big guy - but he is also a very good footballer.

Lukes kicking was dreadful

Jervis was briiliant first half and fuly deserved M of the M

Argyle played some good stuff in the first half.

Unsure why DA refused to make any subs, when it was obvious that players were tiring, especially Jervis - Taner should have at least come on.

Didn't understand why the kick-off was delayed - the stadium looked pretty full - to me - at 14:55 and by 15:15 had NOT increased, dramtically enough to delay the kick-off. It seemed to me that the many quing up for tickets to the game, didnt actually come in and watch the game, they must have thought I have a ticket for the Wycombe game and that will give me a better chance of a Liverpool game - sod supporting Argyle at todays game.

For the top of the table team at home to throw away a 3:1 lead is very poor, very poor indeed.

Sep 6, 2006
Neither Tanner or Goodwillie have great pace and Goodwillie is not the hardest worker. Problem is midfield are bit short defensively and nobody on bench would have changed that without disrupting defence.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Balham_Green":2zc5cc7r said:
Neither Tanner or Goodwillie have great pace and Goodwillie is not the hardest worker. Problem is midfield are bit short defensively and nobody on bench would have changed that without disrupting defence.

As stated it's not just about pace. It's about the basics. Tweaking tactics. Re-energising. Psychological. Physical. Basic stuff.

Dec 3, 2005
People say why change our defence when it is doing so well - well today showed that it isn't.

From Luke and his poor kicking, to the lack of unity in the back four - only Bradley looks at home there, we have Bulvitis and Osbourne sitting on the bench - both very good central defenders apparently and we have Songo'o playing in central defence, when we all know his best position is in midfield, protecting our defenders and adding some bite in midfield, which we NEED.

As for the lack of subs being used - not for the first time - it was obvious that some of our players were knackered after putting in a good hard working performance against a strong team and it should have been obvious to ALL on our bench, that the team needed some fresh legs - to defend our lead and hopefully catch them on the break. We cannot go on dropping points at HOME, especially when we are winning by two clear goals!!!

Jul 29, 2006
Cornwall
I saw at one stage during the second half that Bradley was holding his side. Whether that was on account of his struggle with Akinfenwa I'm not sure but might explain why his second half was not so good.

Sep 6, 2006
Justin":t6cmmknq said:
Balham_Green":t6cmmknq said:

As stated it's not just about pace. It's about the basics. Tweaking tactics. Re-energising. Psychological. Physical. Basic stuff.

You can tweak tactics without subs. Really don't see how bringing on Goodwillie or Tanner would have changed much. Fresh legs stronger tacklers in Midfield would have helped but we didn't have that option without disrupting defence. Basic stuff. Taking in to account how 'average' Smith is that's where we need to strengthen in Jan.

Oct 31, 2015
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":16lan97n said:
Our team + Akinfenwa = Champions
This for me as well. I like the guy. He is not just a unit but a clever footballer as well. Always liked his character as well. He must love playing us as he always scores (rather like Francis 10 years earlier!!!!)