Brief Synopsis!!! (Wycombe) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis!!! (Wycombe)

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
cheshiregreen":jkx24eb6 said:
Just an observation as I wasn't at Home Park today, but, we conceded three and the majority of comments suggest all the defenders except Miller had good games.

So where were we exploited? Runners from midfield?

First goal, Carey huge error left the defence no chance. Second goal I thought Akinfenwa tripped Bradley, leaving him in acres of space. Third goal, not sure who was at fault but Weston had too much space to shoot and that's probably the responsibility of a midfielder to be tighter in that area. Anyway...

Disappointing to drop points in that manner, but actually, I thought we played some of the best football we've played in months.

McCormick - 6
Miller - 5
Bradley - 7
Songo'o - 6
Threlkeld - 7
Fox - 6
Smith - 6
Carey - 5
Jervis - 9.
Slew - 8
Garita - 7

If Garita's first touch was better, he'd be a fantastic player. In a game where Carey couldn't get influence, it required others to step up and the front 3 did. Thought that was Jervis' best game for ages, likewise Slew.

With January looming, priority needs to be central midfield. Smith is such a nothing player, an improvement on Simpson from last year, but not by much. Also think Fox has dipped in form since Songo'o was moved. After that, needs to be right back, because Gary Miller is pretty pants, especially in the final third.

Threlkeld is great. The only thing that annoys me about him is that I want him to play left back, right back and central midfield and that's just not possible. Although he'd make a damn good go at it if you asked him too.

Disappointed, but not deflated. Better than the usual results vs Wycombe at HP! Need to beat Crawley now.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
McCormick 6
Miller 6
Threkeld 8 Excellent battling performance
Bradley 8 Excellent battling performance
Songo'o 7
Fox 6 No influence
Smith 5 Even less influence
Carey 6
Slew 8 Improving all the time
Garita 7
Jervis 8 M.O.M

Enjoyable until late leveller, don't want to see Wycombe again anytime soon.

Jul 20, 2015
If Adams had brought fresh legs on when winning 3-1 he would have been harangue if we ended up at 3-3?

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Bristol Rich":3b61kyhx said:
buck197":3b61kyhx said:
Can't agree that Bradley and Songo'o had good games, Akinfenwa's goal exposed the 2 CB's lack of marking and his play terrorised our CB's all day long.

Yep agreed, he won everything. At 3-1 that game should be finished instead we sat off and invited pressure. Frustrating afternoon.

Completely agree. Carey's weak pass to Fox for their first was the cause but we really should have defended it better - far too square. Akinfenwa then became more influential as the second half progressed and he got the better of Bradley and Songo'o.

I thought Jervis and Slew were excellent, particularly the former's crossing. And Fox was excellent in distribution, which was the exact opposite for Smith who surrendered posession on far too many occasions.

A good game, well officiated and overall probably a fair result. However, we shouldn't really be letting a two goal lead slip at home. Perhaps changes at 3-1 and shutting up shop was the better option.

MoM - Jervis

Apr 1, 2009
Nobby":1kdsy6k9 said:
cheshiregreen":1kdsy6k9 said:
Just an observation as I wasn't at Home Park today, but, we conceded three and the majority of comments suggest all the defenders except Miller had good games.

First goal, Carey huge error left the defence no chance. Second goal I thought Akinfenwa tripped Bradley, leaving him in acres of space. Third goal, not sure who was at fault but Weston had too much space to shoot and that's probably the responsibility of a midfielder to be tighter in that area. Anyway...

Disappointing to drop points in that manner, but actually, I thought we played some of the best football we've played in months.

McCormick - 6
Miller - 5
Bradley - 7
Songo'o - 6
Threlkeld - 7
Fox - 6
Smith - 6
Carey - 5
Jervis - 9.
Slew - 8
Garita - 7

If Garita's first touch was better, he'd be a fantastic player. In a game where Carey couldn't get influence, it required others to step up and the front 3 did. Thought that was Jervis' best game for ages, likewise Slew.

With January looming, priority needs to be central midfield. Smith is such a nothing player, an improvement on Simpson from last year, but not by much. Also think Fox has dipped in form since Songo'o was moved. After that, needs to be right back, because Gary Miller is pretty pants, especially in the final third.

Threlkeld is great. The only thing that annoys me about him is that I want him to play left back, right back and central midfield and that's just not possible. Although he'd make a damn good go at it if you asked him too.

Disappointed, but not deflated. Better than the usual results vs Wycombe at HP! Need to beat Crawley now.

Agree about central midfield. If I had one choice for a January import, it would be an experienced, dominating box-to-box CM. Think it would make an enormous difference.

Feb 2, 2007
P@blo":3eepqbie said:
Can we buy Akinfenwa in Jan, just to stop him scoring against us again!!

:funny:

Like the thinking and he's probably "good for morale" and developing youngsters like Slew in a Barry Hayles way.

Prefer Akinde or Bogle though, I suspect we will sign someone on a free from Keith or Inverurie Loco Works instead

Mar 14, 2009
A very entertaining game. Also a very frustrating one.

We played well first half. Even upto when they scored the first goal. Jervis was very influential. We pushed up. Won the second balls. Created chances.

The second half they went route one. Pumped the ball to akinfenwa. He has two players just either side of him. They squeezed up in order to play off him. Wycombe also have very good set piece's. Every time the ball comes in they always ask a question of you.

Argyle managed to fight and battle but the real tactical failure was us conceding ground and entenching ourselves on our own 18 yard box. Played right into their hands. The ball kept coming back as as soon as we were kicking it clear.

Why didn't we move Songo into a DM position? Played him just in friont of Afinfenwa. Yet we continued to believe we could get away with it. In the end our tactics of defending deeply has cost us dear.

I feel gutted as we chucked away a very decent 3 points today. You shouldn't squander a two goal lead. And yet there was a number of good performances, which were encouraging signs.

However, the fact remains we are still having home issues. Can we find a formula that will help us gain enough wins at home for promotion?

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
xmastree":17v29smm said:
Nobby":17v29smm said:
cheshiregreen":17v29smm said:

McCormick - 6
Miller - 5
Bradley - 7
Songo'o - 6
Threlkeld - 7
Fox - 6
Smith - 6
Carey - 5
Jervis - 9.
Slew - 8
Garita - 7

Agree about central midfield. If I had one choice for a January import, it would be an experienced, dominating box-to-box CM. Think it would make an enormous difference.

Thanks for the views. Will be at the Crawley game Saturday so hoping we will be a tighter defensive unit then. Interesting to reflect that at a similar point last season, we were then looking at Alan Smith as a midfield enforcer.

Is it too easy to return Songo'o to that role and bring in one of the two centre backs from the bench?

Nov 2, 2004
Really good 4th division dust up.Argyle were excellent first half and could have been out of sight.Second half Wycombe did well and while I feel they did not deserve a point they got one.

Luke 5 lots of flapping and poor kicking.
Millar 5 defended ok but very poor use of the ball.
Sogoo 7 did well
Bradley 6 great first half struggled second.
Threlkeld 8 excellent
Smith 4 another in a series of mediocre efforts,works hard but no pace and looses the ball a lot.We need a new midfielder in the window.
Fox 7 worked hard and used the ball well.
Carey 4 casual throughout,the first goal was his fault alone.He also wasted lots of good positions.
Slew 8 a real thorn in their side,endless energy.
Garita 9 a real thorn in their side.Pierre is one of the best centre backs in this division,Garita had him on toast.
Jervis 8 had the better of their full back.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Bradley played Akinfenwa very well first half but unfortunately he was unplayable in the second. The problem was that with only one up front, we were unable to press high enough up the pitch allowing their defenders to launch the ball to Akinfenwa at will. He held the ball up so well, and we couldn't get around him.

A draw was a fair result and it was an enjoyable game.

Thought the ref was fair, he let the game flow which was good - he could have blown up for a lot of little fouls, both sides, but didn't and the game was better for it.

Shame we let a 2 goal lead slip, but 2 goal leads are always dangerous... One goal back and the tails are up.

Good Boxing Day fayre.

A

Alan Fortune

Has anyone noticed that at half-time we were 12 points ahead of Portsmouth (4th place) and at full-time we were 7 points ahead.

They were 2 down against Newport. So the two teams who has scrapped it out for 120 mins on a gluepot on Wednesday conceded late goals which lost them points. Any real surprise here? The strange thing is that DA did not appear to recognise this and failed to bring on fresher players as subs in the second half. Very odd decision-making here.

Sep 6, 2006
Alan Fortune":3uayzy97 said:
Has anyone noticed that at half-time we were 12 points ahead of Portsmouth (4th place) and at full-time we were 7 points ahead.

They were 2 down against Newport. So the two teams who has scrapped it out for 120 mins on a gluepot on Wednesday conceded late goals which lost them points. Any real surprise here? The strange thing is that DA did not appear to recognise this and failed to bring on fresher players as subs in the second half. Very odd decision-making here.

5 days should be more than enough to recover.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
If you stop the supply to Akinfenwa you pretty much stop most of their attacks; unfortunately, we failed to do that.

We knew exactly what to expect from him yet we failed to deal with it. You need one guy in front of him and one behind as he is always looking to take the ball on his chest to lay it off, as was the case with the third goal.

Eight players behind the penalty spot but nobody anywhere near the D to allow their Sub all the time in the world to pick his spot.

120 minutes on Wednesday night, today's game and 2 more on Saturday and Monday yet no substitutes used which was very strange.

Carey, Fox and Smith pretty ineffective in midfield again where we desperately need some strength and aggression.