Brief Synopsis!!! (Wycombe) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Wycombe)

Oct 14, 2015
Have you ever tried running for 120 minutes on a ploughed field which a tractor would struggle to get through?? Thought not, 5 days maybe enough for some players but it only takes 2-3 of the team to feel the effects 5 days later and we're in trouble. I thought DA would change a few of the players around but that's his call, he's the boss.

Sep 6, 2006
Shoenice":1nupnsey said:
nick_PASTIE":1nupnsey said:
Shoenice":1nupnsey said:
After our FA Cup exploits and with some of the options at our disposal, I don't understand not utilising the bench. It's quite clear to see that Smith and Miller are weaklinks. Smith is limited, isn't comfortable enough on the ball and doesn't command. Miller is very poor when it comes to decision making, slow and doesn't have the guts of Threlkeld. Could we not stick Bulvitis on and put Songo'o in the middle instead of Smith? Bring Purrington in and have a left footer at left back, allowing for Songo'o and Threlkeld as options in the middle (and right back)?

The game was crying out for change in the second half. To lose at 3-1 is poor. Need a stronger presence in the middle of the park, a better right back (Threlkeld!), and potentially another big bloke up front. Carey couldn't get in the game much and had Gape tight on him all game. Thought Jervis, Garita and Slew were our best players offensively.

Strange atmosphere and game though, all very flat. And Akinfenwa is an enigma!

We didn't lose though. :crazy:

And your point is? I didn't say we did but we did lose two points.

Edit: I missed out the 'it'. To lose it at 3-1, meaining to lose out on the three points.

Er yes you Did!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
People are being a bit harsh on Miller. I thought today was one of his better games. Defended solidly, got forward well, gave it 100%.

Sep 6, 2006
Pilgrim_Joe":1t6o3fs5 said:
we gained another point - we didn't lose any ;)

After the slog at Newport tiredness was always going to be a factor. Subs should have been used, but weren't.

On to the next match - no point looking backwards

Why you on here Then? The whole point is to discuss the game. I don't think a game 5 days ago had any impact and obviously Adams thought the same.

Sep 6, 2006
Johndelve":2dw4jjwp said:
Fair result today.
They never got to time waste as they were losing for most of the game .
No compliants, but will always despise Ainsworth and his anti football time wasting tactics .

Yawn.

Nov 4, 2012
Obviously disappointed but fair result. Luckily we got back to 1-1 pretty quick and it nipped their 'dark arts' in the bud. Play like that against weaker sides than Wycombe and we'll hand out a hiding or two.

Thought it was a great game full of decent attacking play. Could have been 6-6 on another day. You can see why Wycombe are going strong and it's far from a disastrous result. Three points v Crawley and I'll be satisfied. Onwards and upwards.Strange atmosphere, was very loud one minute and dead silent the next.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
PAFC94":38pv1xgo said:
Obviously disappointed but fair result. Luckily we got back to 1-1 pretty quick and it nipped their 'dark arts' in the bud. Play like that against weaker sides than Wycombe and we'll hand out a hiding or two.

Thought it was a great game full of decent attacking play. Could have been 6-6 on another day. You can see why Wycombe are going strong and it's far from a disastrous result. Three points v Crawley and I'll be satisfied. Onwards and upwards.Strange atmosphere, was very loud one minute and dead silent the next.
Has anyone actually said it was "a disastrous result"?

However, we were 2-up and threw it away and if we miss promotion by 2 points in May, we may look back to games such as this.

Sep 6, 2006
Welwyn Pilgrim":38sm64dh said:
Have you ever tried running for 120 minutes on a ploughed field which a tractor would struggle to get through?? Thought not, 5 days maybe enough for some players but it only takes 2-3 of the team to feel the effects 5 days later and we're in trouble. I thought DA would change a few of the players around but that's his call, he's the boss.

Just looking for excuses. If Adams thought they were tired why did he not change it? You seriously telling me that fit athletes who train most days would take 5 days to get over 120 mins?

Nov 4, 2012
demportdave":1m77o0ux said:
PAFC94":1m77o0ux said:

Has anyone actually said it was "a disastrous result"?

However, we were 2-up and threw it away and if we miss promotion by 2 points in May, we may look back to games such as this.

Um no? Did I say anyone had said such? Just an observation :lol:

Feb 2, 2007
Akinfenwa basically bulldozed his way through Bradley for the 2nd goal. If that is now in the rules we need Garita to start doing the same to opposition defenders.

Ridiculous.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Off the back of a mentally and physically demanding cup replay, then taking a 3-1 lead at home with largely the same group of players, surely the professional approach would be to close the game out at this point? Introducing subs to add attacking impetus on the counter as we soak up pressure, or to simply inject fresh energy and ensure mental sharpness, would seem the obvious approach.

Anyone at the game have a view on why this didn't happen?

Apr 6, 2009
We also have another 3 games to play in 13 days so adams has to thibk about that when thinking about fitness/energy. I can see why at 3-1 up and even 3-2 he didn't sub but in hindsight prob wrong decision.

Also cant ddecide whether carey is like the saying about houses 'noone notices when you've cleaned but they always notice when you haven't'. Do we just notice his mistakes more. Saying that the first goal was given to wycombe due to a very poor pass by carey

Jan 15, 2016
I was so frustrated by the lack of subs too. I presume he just felt he didn't have any better options on the bench.
He had Goodwillie ready, then changed his mind.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
The change was needed in midfield. Smith and Fox were knackered. Bulvitis with Songo'o moving into midfield. Or Purrington with Thelkeld doing the same was what I thought was required.

Sep 6, 2006
Managers rarely change the back 4 in course of a game unless they have no choice. Re Akinfenwa it's one thing knowing how to stop him it's another being able to actually do it. Best way would have been to sign him ourselves!