Brief Synopsis!!! (Southend) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Southend)

Aug 5, 2016
arrythewurzel":3az523lr said:
I left feeling we’d taken a step back in terms of quality. Sonny and Vyner would walk into this team. Sarcevic has no real competition for his place. Fox looked like this might be a season too many (unless injured?)

This demolition and rebuilding each year doesn’t look like a winning formula to me. Early doors but we looked like a patched up league 2 team fresh to league 1.

You might be right, but
A) Vyner was never ours to keep.
B) Bradley's wages could have brought two or three new signings in.
C) We had a much more horrendous start last season and did OK.

There are some signs there that things aren't terrific at the minute, but the back four (especially) need time to gel. Like Mark Pedlar said, I'm not convinced Wootton is starting material and would be more comfortable with Canavan back there for the time being. But they are all literally just getting to know each other. Vyner slotted into a settled capable defence that had won promotion together, so it's hard to draw comparisons. In a monnth I imagine we will look a bit more capable defensively.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Tony_Flags":3kdaq67a said:
Shambles. With the exception of Macey it was time to go back in to the changing rooms and hold your head in shame.

Attitude, ability and delivery was poor. How we didn’t lose that is a mystery. Adams was always going to struggle under the new Manager discipline rules and let himself down early.

Sorry, but pathetic.

Couldn't agree more. It was awful and Southend were far the better team.

How they did not convert all those chances and win comfortably is beyond me.

We were stretched at the back, midfield didn't get on the ball and there was no link up play up front.
Distribution from Edwards consisted of a poorly directed hoofball in Taylors general direction.
Lameiras is a lightweight and luxury player that just goes missing in games.
Fox's legs have gone

We don't even have any pace in the team to catch the opposition on the break. Everything is so slow and predictable

Badly missing the likes of Bradley, Threkeld and Vyner.

#WEAKERTHANLASTYEAR

Nov 22, 2006
Though not panicking like some need to be much better than that, Sarcevic is needed as well as another attacking central midfielder in loan from somewhere the 3 in the middle offered nothing in the ball going forward not helped by the fact the back 4 just hoofed it forward most of the time

Macey looked good in what he had to do the Smith Brown and Moore need to be told wether they are defensive full backs or attacking wing backs both looked unsure on to many occasions Wootton and edwards will get caught for pace constantly i think

Carey and Taylor huffed and puffed but to little reward Lameiras needs to be informed the season has started liked the look of Ladapo on the ball

Overall we were very poor and could probably do with an extra attacking option from the middle but plenty of time to get it right

Nov 2, 2004
That was a shocking performance.It appeared we were leggy and tired throughout.Not sure why you are all marking the players so highly,they were terrible and much worse than last week.The only players to really come out of that with any credit were the Keeper and Taylor.Taylor battled hard trying to make something of the constant hoof ball.Southend must be gutted,they should have scored several and our penalty was nonsense,it was right in front of me and not even close to a pen.

Macey 8 some good saves.
Moore 3 looks out of his depth,will need to quickly adapt but I suspect he will be quickly dropped.
Edwards 4 Ok in the air but very clumsy and lead the first half hoofing.
Wootton 3 Worryingly he looks like he could not care less.Hope I am wrong.
Brown 4 Ok in spells but got shafted several times.
Grant 5 some nice touches,at least he looked after the ball and kept going.
Fox 3 out of position constantly and gave the ball away a lot.
Ness 3 useless,lost the ball constantly.His worst game for us.
Carey 5 Very wasteful and lacked energy,its not often he lacks energy.
Ruben 3 No point playing him if you are hoofing the ball,Lingard would have looked rubbish out there.
Taylor 7 Tireless effort,he won his share but there was nobody around him.

Songoo 7 I think we would have lost if he had not come on,he stopped them strolling through the midfield.

Southend No 18 was really good.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":x4e46akr said:
Southend still dominated the midfield, so another change was soon made with Yann Songo'o replacing Fox. Songo'o gave us more strength and we enjoyed some pressure without actually creating a goal scoring chance.

I'm pretty sure that Fox was carrying an injury. He seemed to be limping quite badly when shaking hands with Southend before kick off.

Jul 17, 2011
Considering how poor we were that was a great point! I thought Southend looked decent. Lameiras, Edwards and Carey- for them were poor! And I know many will say they got no support, but they’re our star players! A lot of pessimism around but it’s 2 games in and look at the likes of Shrewsbury and oxford! It’s a long old season and I’m sure we will only get better. the only player ( outfield ) to stand out I thought was ladopo when he came on. Those slaying any of the new players; this time last year we said ness was a dead weight and Adams aaa hopeless..... we are fickle things Ey?

Jul 11, 2011
My opinion after just one game is probably irrelevant as we definitely need to give the team time to adjust. But purely on that performance I believe we look very weak.
Today:

Macey - 7 - other than his early spill he played very well. There were times I would have liked him to release the ball quicker but to be fair his outball options were rarely available.

Moore - 6 - steady first performance. Very mobile and solid defensively but will struggle against stronger players. His touch a couple times today was poor in key areas.

Smith-Brown - 5 - targeted today and seemed lost. Looked good in possession but over run defensively. Decent player in there with a bit of defensive work.

Wooton - 3 - I am not impressed. Gave away many silly fouls (didn’t learn after the the first could fouls). Panicked under pressure and his distribution was poor. Also not dominant in the air and targeted with Southend’s long balls.

Edwards - 5 - some really good clearances but also some poor defending, let the ball bounce on more than one occasion. Good in the air but sadly not a patch on Vyner.

Fox - 5 - we know he can play but there was so little space in the middle of the park today he never got to show his range of passing, hence why sonogo looked better today.

Ness - 5 - have the ball away too much today. Some good runs but no end product.

Grant - 6 - Tidy player but again like ness in a tight midfield he gave the ball away too much. Excellent technical ability, not sure about his free kicks.

Lamieras - 4 - never got into the game, didn’t really put himself about. Should have gone off at half time.

Carey - 7 - tried to make things happen but too far away from Taylor.

Taylor 5 - well and truly lost his battle today. Carey and Lamieras were not close enough to him but he was not winning many flick ons or knock downs. His service was not great either.

Sawyer - 6 - other than the first few minutes he was his steady self and we looked more secure with him on the pitch and fewer balls coming into the box.

Sonogo - 7 - steadied up our midfield and gave us more possession (albeit mainly with the back 4). Type of game for him where you need someone to rough up the midfield and win the arial ball.

Ladapo - 6 - excellent effort and created a couple half chances. Could be a decent player at this level.

Overall in a game like this where they are bullying the midfield your wide players need to cause probalems and we didn’t. Also our midfielder were not tracking the runners meaning our full backs became over run. What really worries me is our poor defence, slow and poor in the air.

I also feel that Southend looked fitter than we did, which is due to having a pre season playing irrelevant games against weak local teams.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Oh dear!!!

I don’t normally take too much notice of statistics but 17 shots, 5 on target for the away team against 5 shots, 2 on target for the home team seems to tell the story of this game.

Southend looked good but perhaps we made them look good.

Very poor performance in the opinion of a self confessed green tint.

Heathrow Green

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 12, 2011
An airport just outside London
PL2 3DQ":2l3ylwoe said:
A point is what we deserved and nothing more.

It wasn't the most entertaining of games with rare goal mouth action and just two shots on target for Argyle and one of them was a penalty. Both sides were awarded a penalty in the first half and the action was more dramatic off the pitch with managers Derek Adams and Chris Powell coming together on the touchline, Adams was definitely pushed.
After having a word with the fourth official the ref issued a red card each to Adams and Powell and sent them to the stands. But what stand because the grandstand is out of bounds?
Powell appeared in the second half in the directors box of the empty grandstand and it looked like Adams was in the old executive boxes.

We lost the midfield battle until Songo'o was introduced in the second half, Ness, Grant and sadly Fox were second best to 50/50 challenges, missed out on the second balls and were dominated by the Southend midfielders.

Tafari Moore replaced Riley at right-back, otherwise it was the same team that started against Walsall.

The tone was set in the first 10 minutes of the game when Southend camped in our half, we just couldn't get out. We survived several corners and a "goal" which was thankfully ruled out for offside. Macey also made two excellent low saves - we were on the rack!

Amazingly upon amazingly we took the lead in the 20th minute against the run of play. A cross found Conor Grant who headed towards goal, Oxley pulled off a good save and the ball fell to Moore, he was bundled over but the ref ignored cries for a penalty, however in the corner of the pitch on his own was a man frantically waving a brightly coloured flag. The ref trundled over to have a word with him and instantly gave a penalty to Argyle. Well done linesman!
There was a long delay while the Southend players verbally assaulted the lino, once they finished Carey stepped up and fired high into the net. 1-0, not deserved but we'll take it.

The confidence in the team visibly rose and it was Southend's turn to defend.

Following a corner it was our turn to concede a penalty with Taylor adjudged to have fouled in the area, although it looked a harsh decision. For the second game in succession Macey faced a penalty but couldn't save this one. 1-1.

Taylor then received a yellow card for what looked like using a dangerous elbow but the action took place by the dugouts with both mangers literally seeing red and sent to the non-existent stand.

Onto the second half and new manager Paul Wotton gave Ruben Lameiras 10 minutes before hauling him off and bringing on Gary Sawyer, while Ashley Smith-Brown (who was having a good game at left back) was pushed forward to left wing.

The change didn't change anything, Southend still dominated the midfield, so another change was soon made with Yann Songo'o replacing Fox. Songo'o gave us more strength and we enjoyed some pressure without actually creating a goal scoring chance.

Wotton only waited 6 minutes before making another change, Freddie Ladapo swapped with the unfortunate Smith-Brown and went with a 4-3-3 formation.
Ladapo caused some problems and created a half chance that hit the side netting but again we didn't carve out a real goalscoring chance.

Southend always looked more likely to score a winner but thankfully we survived.

It was a very average performance, although credit to Southend who closed us down and harried, our midfield just couldn't cope and when that happens Fox becomes a passenger. He's at his best sitting in front of the back four and dictating play.

Edwards had a poor game, after the euphoria of last week it was back down to earth for this game, he was slow and cumbersome and was caught on the ball several times. Alongside him Wootton had a better game while both full backs did well, especially Moore who was always willing to push forward.

We suffered by playing too many long balls to Taylor who did his best but if Carey and Lameiras are off form our gameplan goes out the window. Lameiras was another passenger while Carey is a pale shadow of the player we know and love.

Macey had another good game, his two low saves were excellent, Songo'o and Ladapo made a difference when they took to the field and should be pushing for a starting place.

Unlike the Walsall game Fox handed over the captains armband to Sawyer as soon as he came on to the pitch.

Much like the Walsall game it was a disappointing performance that had sometimes had good play but largely it was disjointed.

I thought the white lines on the pitch were very faint so maybe the heavy rain washed the top layer away.

Under the Lyndhurst in the concourse the breeze block walls built in 2002 were painted white with black trim and looked very nice while extra information screens were dotted around.

Entertainment value 5/10.

Man of the match - Macey.

Macey 7, Moore 7, Edwards 5, Wootton 6, Smith-Brown 7, Fox 4, Ness 5, C Grant 5, Carey 6, Lameiras 4, Taylor 6. Subs Songo'o 7, Ladapo 7, Sawyer 5.

:iagree:

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
davie nine":pmlf1ioj said:
Oh dear!!!

I don’t normally take too much notice of statistics but 17 shots, 5 on target for the away team against 5 shots, 2 on target for the home team seems to tell the story of this game.

One of our shots on target was the penalty. Can't recall another one though??

Sep 25, 2010
I am the greatest of green tint, but today, I thought we were so poor, it was unbelievable

We couldn’t pass to each other, it was worse than a bad at the office. The number of times We passed to the opposition, well I lost count.

Southend deserved to win, and how we got a point I don’t know.

Hopefully, we have to improve on that showing, I couldn’t see any positives today, except we gained a point

Mar 14, 2009
davie nine":19qtwvp9 said:
Oh dear!!!

And yet Adams says at the end of his Radio Devon interview “they come here for a point”. With 17 shot and us having just 5 god knows what we were playing for then.

Jul 7, 2006
Steve.PAFC2012":1lktqnq6 said:
Another thing that bugged me is that we had attacking players who could have ran at Southend in Wylde and Ainsworth but instead we bring on Sawyer and Songo’o?

I have to disagree with you. Sawyer did make a couple of errors but there is no doubt that both Sawyer and Songo steadied the ship and put some backbone into the performance. Sorry to disageree with OP but Jamie Ness just doesn't do it for me, he has the odd moment but mostly he seems to just run around in spaces achieving very little. Overall we were disorganised and deserved to lose.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Metal_Green_Mickey":5vgqvcju said:
davie nine":5vgqvcju said:
Oh dear!!!

And yet Adams says at the end of his Radio Devon interview “they come here for a point”. With 17 shot and us having just 5 god knows what we were playing for then.

Since when has an Adams post match interview borne any relation to the reality?

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Metal_Green_Mickey":32rb6zlz said:
davie nine":32rb6zlz said:
Oh dear!!!

Given the run of play today, that quote from DA takes the biscuit. I just hope he and Wotts can drill them hard into an understandable pattern.