Brief Synopsis!!! (Southend) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Southend)

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
IJN":3odkz52s said:
I didn’t enjoy that at all.

Very dour and I though both teams battled it out to see who was worse.

I though Moore and Brown played well.

Sorry mate but we made Southend look fantastic

Feb 2, 2007
Southend will be gutted they didn't win that. Their game plan worked and created enough chances to see us off in two games.

Some thoughts on the players and system

Moore could be fantastic but needs to trust himself going forward. He and Carey should be a dangerous combo as they get used to each others style.

Macey looked assured, apart from dropping the ball for the offside goal. Good on crosses, I read their penalty as I was behind the goal and the player telegraphed but sadly Macey went the wrong way.

Not sure why Smith-Brown is getting plaudits, Southend annihilated him in the first half I thought. But he looks OK on the ball so I'm sure he will learn.

No confidence in Wootton, never been impressed when I've seen him for MKFranchise and today didn't improve my view.

Midfield trio doesn't work in that guise. Very disjointed, way to deep to give Taylor any back up. That can not be the intention of the system. Sarcevic may help but we need a midfield box to box dynamo before end of August.

Taylor hard to rate as had no support.

Lamerias, actually looked to be growing into game after we went 1-0 up but quickly faded and was disappointing.

Derek-don't leave technical area, asking for trouble.

Crowd-flat but then the action wasn't inspiring.

Positive - investment in family area is nice to see, well done Argyle.

Ref-another whistle happy rogue, seemed more sympathetic to Southend forwards than he did Taylor. Very disjointed game.

At least we didn't lose.

Jun 24, 2008
Sorry OP but those ratings are all over the place with regards to what I saw.

We were very poor and Southend deserved the win. Hard to pick out any good performances in that game. The only ones were probably Macey, Grant and Songo'o. Songo'o off the bench and even Macey flapped a couples times so that's really saying something.

Ladapo looked bright coming on. Smith-Brown did what he did fine but would've liked him to gone at them more. Very concerned with Woottons performance. He was extremely poor. Mainly with the opportunities to keep pressure when the ball was cleared from Southend, there were 4/5 times when it resulted in him giving away cheap fouls.

Matt Macey - 7
Tafari Moore - 5
Ryan Edwards - 4
Scott Wootton - 3
Ashley Smith-Brown - 6
David Fox - 5
Jamie Ness - 3
Connor Grant - 6
Ruben Lameiras - 3
Graham Carey - 5
Ryan Taylor -5

Kyle Letheren - unused
Gary Sawyer - 4
Niall Canavan - unused
Yann Songo'o - 7
Joel Grant - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Freddie Ladapo - 6

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
I thought we played ok, and were denied a clear penalty.

It looks like we are going to have a slow start and then kick on again, like last season.

Southend were very impressive. Could be playoff contenders on that performance.

Apr 5, 2008
Two games played remember,before people start calling the firing squad on Adams:eh I doubt the manager is overly pleased either with the performance ,I’m sure he will go over the team’s performances with the players etc.He is very meticulous in everything involving Argyle.

Hoping soon for the first win,and goodbye to the posters who only appear when the team is not winning to constantly criticise and moan about the team,doesn’t every team have the odd bad performance in the season. :wave:

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Well that was disappointing.

Early scares from Southend with the flag stopping them leading. Greens were disjointed on the whole with Taylor isolated. Southend moved the ball quicker and energetically while gaps appeared readily in our defence and Macey made some good stops.

Against the run of play we won a soft penalty..Conor Grant' s header was saved and Moore fell over after a poor first touch. Ref wasn't interested but linesman thought he saw an offence.Not many in ground agreed but Carey slotted home. Southend scored from another pen after a World Cup type corner wrestle led to their spot kick. Then a clash involving Taylor saw the managers get red cards. Nowhere for them to go with the Grandstand closed although Powell ended up in the Directors Box not sure where DA went.

Not much changed after interval. Southend the better side. Songo'o on for the unusually poor Fox. Sawyer replaced the ineffective Lamerias and Lapado joined for Smith-Brown. Songo'o had the most influence and helped us break up the Shrimpers attacks. Freddie was enthusiastic and energetic but still no real chances. Southend had 2 more chances to tie up the points but were wasteful. Guess a point gained but not the perrformance we wanted.

Macey 7 Moore 7 Edwards 5 Wotton 5 Smith Brown 6 Fox 5 Ness 5 Lameiras 5 Carey 6 Grant 6 Taylor 6. Songo'o 6 Sawyer 5 Lapado 6.

Apr 8, 2014
r4h4al":1buomg3p said:
I thought we played ok, and were denied a clear penalty, otherwise we would have got a draw.

It looks like we are going to have a slow start and then kick on again, like last season.

When was this penalty shout?

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
r4h4al":3hjvyf0p said:
I thought we played ok, and were denied a clear penalty, otherwise we would have got a draw.

? We did draw

Sep 6, 2006
r4h4al":3hbpqz9n said:

It's worth keeping a check on the score before you post!! I wondered when the ref was going to get the blame.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
shortbred":2x2q1b2g said:
r4h4al":2x2q1b2g said:

When was this penalty shout?

Second half Taylor got taken out when clear on goal.

Aug 11, 2013
I left feeling we’d taken a step back in terms of quality. Sonny and Vyner would walk into this team. Sarcevic has no real competition for his place. Fox looked like this might be a season too many (unless injured?)

This demolition and rebuilding each year doesn’t look like a winning formula to me. Early doors but we looked like a patched up league 2 team fresh to league 1.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Where to start with that? I walked out of Home Park with more questions than answers unfortunately. As an overall performance, it's barring Scunthorpe, probably the worst we've delivered in 2018. My thoughts anyway...

1) The midfield - Absolutely horrible all round. Barely strung four or five passes together, nobody showing for the ball, looked leggy. Desperately missing Sarcevic's energy. I thought Conor Grant was generally a passenger, but did have some nice moments. Fox and Ness miles away from their best.

2) Ruben Lameiras - One of my main concerns going into this season is the lack of options we have in the forward areas. He's turned in two tragic performances so far, but there's nobody to take his place. We know Wylde and Ainsworth aren't good enough. We know that Joel Grant is an impact sub at best. So what's motivating Ruben and pushing him to his best? Nothing. He's still shying out of challenges and he really didn't influence the game at all. Baring in mind he showed absolutely nothing before Christmas last year, we really need to hope that he can switch on quicker this year.

3) Communication - Was there any? From the Devonport, I barely heard the back five say a word to each other which is concerning.

4) The substitutions - If our main tactic to get a goal is throw a left back at left wing, then that highlights all kinds of issues in terms of recruitment and sums up my first point. Songo'o wasn't horrible when he came on, but why is he coming on at home with the scores level? He's somehow less mobile than Fox.

5) Tactics in general - Full backs look pacey but barely overlapped. The centre backs just launched the ball forward to Taylor who had nobody close to him. We didn't have anyone running direct or moving the ball forward quickly. Same glaring issues as early last season that haven't been addressed.

6) Recruitment - As already mentioned, we're short in the attacking wide areas. We're short of a central midfielder. Why did we bring in 3 new centre backs when Songo'o is capable as 4th choice and Sawyer can play there? Surely those wages were better spent in other areas.

7) Positives - Still haven't conceded from open play, which is great if not ultimately frustrating. Macey & Smith-Brown were good. About all I can muster I think.

Macey - 7 - Gets down well for a big lad and good with crosses. A promising home debut.
Smith-Brown - 7 - Best of the defensive unit today. Seems solid.
Edwards - 5 - A 6 for his aerial dominance for the first half, a 4 for his all round mess in the second. Looked like a man lacking sharpness as the game went on.
Wootton - 6 - Looked better, but clearly the partnership with Eddy is in its infancy
Moore - 5 - MOTM!? Defensively okay, but his touch is very poor and going forward wasn't good. Hopefully just nerves.
Fox - 6 - Below his usual, moved the ball too slowly.
Ness - 5 - Played like pre-xmas Ness last year. Second to everything.
C.Grant - 6 - A few nice touches and passes, but a bit of a passenger to be honest. Not helped by the hoofball tactics.
Lameiras - 3 - Passenger. Complete passenger.
Taylor - 5 - Battled, didn't win a huge amount and when he did, didn't find many green shirts. Again, a tactical issue.
Carey - 6 - Not at his best either, but looked our only real threat. Great pen, filthy nutmeg turn on their fullback.

Sawyer - 6 - Solid, got forward more than ASB.
Songo'o - 6 - Did what Songo'o does, but not sure why he came on.
Ladapo - 7 - Good impact! Looks pacier than I anticipated, stretched Southend a bit.

I'm not going to get too worried at this stage, especially after last year. The lads will need time to gel, but I really think we need to get two more players in on loan, a left winger and a more attack minded centre mid. Other than that, at least we've got a point on the board. Onto the next one!

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Nobby":3dwqfy53 said:
Where to start with that? I walked out of Home Park with more questions than answers unfortunately. As an overall performance, it's barring Scunthorpe, probably the worst we've delivered in 2018. My thoughts anyway...

1) The midfield - Absolutely horrible all round. Barely strung four or five passes together, nobody showing for the ball, looked leggy. Desperately missing Sarcevic's energy. I thought Conor Grant was generally a passenger, but did have some nice moments. Fox and Ness miles away from their best.

2) Ruben Lameiras - One of my main concerns going into this season is the lack of options we have in the forward areas. He's turned in two tragic performances so far, but there's nobody to take his place. We know Wylde and Ainsworth aren't good enough. We know that Joel Grant is an impact sub at best. So what's motivating Ruben and pushing him to his best? Nothing. He's still shying out of challenges and he really didn't influence the game at all. Baring in mind he showed absolutely nothing before Christmas last year, we really need to hope that he can switch on quicker this year.

3) Communication - Was there any? From the Devonport, I barely heard the back five say a word to each other which is concerning.

4) The substitutions - If our main tactic to get a goal is throw a left back at left wing, then that highlights all kinds of issues in terms of recruitment and sums up my first point. Songo'o wasn't horrible when he came on, but why is he coming on at home with the scores level? He's somehow less mobile than Fox.

5) Tactics in general - Full backs look pacey but barely overlapped. The centre backs just launched the ball forward to Taylor who had nobody close to him. We didn't have anyone running direct or moving the ball forward quickly. Same glaring issues as early last season that haven't been addressed.

6) Recruitment - As already mentioned, we're short in the attacking wide areas. We're short of a central midfielder. Why did we bring in 3 new centre backs when Songo'o is capable as 4th choice and Sawyer can play there? Surely those wages were better spent in other areas.

7) Positives - Still haven't conceded from open play, which is great if not ultimately frustrating. Macey & Smith-Brown were good. About all I can muster I think.

Macey - 7 - Gets down well for a big lad and good with crosses. A promising home debut.
Smith-Brown - 7 - Best of the defensive unit today. Seems solid.
Edwards - 5 - A 6 for his aerial dominance for the first half, a 4 for his all round mess in the second. Looked like a man lacking sharpness as the game went on.
Wootton - 6 - Looked better, but clearly the partnership with Eddy is in its infancy
Moore - 5 - MOTM!? Defensively okay, but his touch is very poor and going forward wasn't good. Hopefully just nerves.
Fox - 6 - Below his usual, moved the ball too slowly.
Ness - 5 - Played like pre-xmas Ness last year. Second to everything.
C.Grant - 6 - A few nice touches and passes, but a bit of a passenger to be honest. Not helped by the hoofball tactics.
Lameiras - 3 - Passenger. Complete passenger.
Taylor - 5 - Battled, didn't win a huge amount and when he did, didn't find many green shirts. Again, a tactical issue.
Carey - 6 - Not at his best either, but looked our only real threat. Great pen, filthy nutmeg turn on their fullback.

Sawyer - 6 - Solid, got forward more than ASB.
Songo'o - 6 - Did what Songo'o does, but not sure why he came on.
Ladapo - 7 - Good impact! Looks pacier than I anticipated, stretched Southend a bit.

I'm not going to get too worried at this stage, especially after last year. The lads will need time to gel, but I really think we need to get two more players in on loan, a left winger and a more attack minded centre mid. Other than that, at least we've got a point on the board. Onto the next one!
Lameiras isn't gonna be able to do much with the ball flying over his head every single time.

Agree with the rest though.