Brief Synopsis!!! (Southend) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Southend)

Nov 9, 2008
Poor and uninspiring performance. If not for Macey we could have lost by 3 or 4. Lameiraa was totally anonymous and we really lacked movement and creativity, moments from Carey aside.

The defence worries me. Wootton made a number of errors and Edwards did too, although he did more positive things than Wootton. Moore and Smith-Brown look like they have something but Moore showed a poor first touch and turned backwards a lot for my liking. Fox seemed off the pace.

Early days and time needed to gel properly, but a much slower start that we were hoping for given the end of last season. I feel like we need a centre half who can play the ball like Vyner could in order for us to be able to play the kind of football we did last year. Lots to be done if we want to progress from last year.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
Steve Evans":u6d0bdqh said:
a very poor spectacle from argyles' point of view.southend the better,quicker side and i was surprised they settled for a draw late on.my ratings;
Matt Macey - 4
Tafari Moore - 5
Ryan Edwards - 7
Scott Wootton - 5
Ashley Smith-Brown - 9
David Fox - 4
Jamie Ness - 4
Connor Grant - 6
Ruben Lameiras - 5
Graham Carey - 8
Ryan Taylor -7

Kyle Letheren - unused
Gary Sawyer - 6
Niall Canavan - unused
Yann Songo'o - 6
Joel Grant - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Freddie Ladapo - 2

Very poor spectacle it might have been but to give Macey 4 & Smith-Brown 9 you must have very poor spectacles.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Mike Charlick":2lv5h4zq said:
Steve Evans":2lv5h4zq said:
a very poor spectacle from argyles' point of view.southend the better,quicker side and i was surprised they settled for a draw late on.my ratings;
Matt Macey - 4
Tafari Moore - 5
Ryan Edwards - 7
Scott Wootton - 5
Ashley Smith-Brown - 9
David Fox - 4
Jamie Ness - 4
Connor Grant - 6
Ruben Lameiras - 5
Graham Carey - 8
Ryan Taylor -7

Kyle Letheren - unused
Gary Sawyer - 6
Niall Canavan - unused
Yann Songo'o - 6
Joel Grant - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Freddie Ladapo - 2

Very poor spectacle it might have been but to give Macey 4 & Smith-Brown 9 you must haver very poor spectacles.

Carey wasn’t an 8 and Taylor/Edwards never a 7 either.

Mar 14, 2009
So firstly l must applaud Macey and Moore.

Apart from the spill and the offside goal I thought Macey did what he could.

Moore was everything we have been missing at RB. Mobile and energetic. He ran up and down that touchline and l was excited about the width he can give us.

What else to say about the game? Apart from the penalty there is no real other chances to speak of. So that in itself is a scary fact.

We actually played no better in the first half than we did in the second. Southend were very wasteful. Countless good chances which should have resulted in an easy 3 points.

The system we play needs workhorses and physicality in the midfield. We have 3 lightweight players in Fox, Ness and C Grant that if there passing doesn’t work they simply don’t offer anything else as a midfield 3 unit. They just get blown away because they are powederpuff.

If you get physical, energetic workhorses you then fight for the right to win the ball. Then once you won it you can give to C Grant, Carey, Lameiras etc...... Adams seems to think you can put all these ball playing midfielders in one side. The worse thing is though one today’s evidence our ball plsying midfielders can’t even pass the ball to fellow team mates.

I must disagree with UTL about Songo. At least when he came on he steadily slowed the flow of their attacks. They weren’t getting easy shots away with no challenges.

Feel sorry for Taylor. With service like he had it’s appalling.

If you think Adams tactics defensively aren’t a worry you only have to see the final moment of the game. One long punt in their half just cuts out all the Argyle players. One Argyle centre half left exposed one on one with Theo Robinson with absolute ease. It’s dreadful not only our attacking limp ness but our defending as a unit.

At the end the only positive really is someone we got a point when we deserved absolutely nothing. It was that dreadful. No energy, fight or pattern of play on show.

The one hope l cling onto is that we haven’t found our feet and as the season unfolds we will get better. That the new players will improve us. That Carey and a Lameiras will influence games as we grow into the season. To be honest we couldn’t get much worse on today’s display.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I'm over the moon that we got a point out of that considering how bad we were.

The first half was edged by Southend - they were good and we were average. The second half was absolute one-way traffic - we had one shot and they missed three or four complete sitters as well as squandering a number of other chances. If they had been clinical, it would have finished about 6-1.

Some credit must go to them - their ball retention was good and they looked solid in defence. It's sad to still see them trying to con referees though - Phil Brown's legacy lives on.

We were poor though on the whole, really poor. I don't mind us sitting as deep as we did if we remain compact and deny them chances, but we managed to sit deep and still let them cut through us with ease. When we did push up a bit more, Edwards and Wootton looked uncomfortable dealing with balls over the top.

We needed to be better at ball retention, the defence needed to be more organised and our quality in the final 3rd wasn't really there either. I hope this is just a bad day at the office for us. A far worse performance than last week, but with a better result - funny old game.

Macey 7 motm - some very good saves first half and his command was generally fine, but should probably have caught one instead of punching and his kicking wasn't great.

Moore 6 - A really strange performance. Got up and down the line fairly well, showed some moments of real quality and composure (like the ball over his shoulder which he pinged first time straight to Carey). But also some shanks out of play and some carelessness with the ball.
Edwards 5 - won a fair amount of headers, but looked nervous with balls over the top as I said and his playing the ball out was pretty iffy. Also one moment where he should have cleared the ball out sideways but instead hooked it straight to a Southend player - symbolic of a so many times we carelessly used the ball especially 2nd half.
Wootton 5 - one absolutely daft challenge sticks in my mind which was a completely needless foul. Much like Edwards aside from that.
ASB 6 - technically very good again. Generally sound aside from his decision making - that'll come though I'm sure. I like him, much more as a left back as his movement off the ball playing AML was poor. Didn't really seem to know how to play the role.
Fox 5 - Given nowhere near as much time on the ball this week than at Southend, and he was pretty ordinary even when he did have it.
Ness 4 - first half was fine, second half was appallingly. So so careless with the ball and didn't win enough second balls either. He was great last week - a very inconsistent start to the season.
Grant 6 - generally tidy again - his set piece delivery is ok and he mops up 2nd balls well.
Carey 6 - a good first half, especially the backheel nutmeg on their player. 2nd half he almost created an opening for Ness, but generally he didn't get in the game.
Lameiras 5 - another who didn't really get in the game. A tough ask against a side as physical as Southend. He will come good again though, for sure.
Taylor 7 - a really tough battle but he did well.

Subs:
Sawyer 3 - mare. Absolute mare. Needlessly knocked it out of play 3 times.
Songo'o 6 - apart from one time when he had a classic moment of chucking himself at a header which a team-mate was already going for, he was good - won the ball on nearly every 50-50 and used it reasonably well too.
Ladapo 5 - more of the same from last week. Plenty of endeavour and strength, very little guile or finesse.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
shortbred":pkdk0gu7 said:
I disagree with a lot of this. The game was poor but whoever gave Macey a 4, please tell me what more you want from your goalkeeper? He kept us in it at times, punched ONCE and caught the rest. As for the comments that Ness was decent, what did he do? About as much as Connor Grant, we have no beef in midfield and until Sarcevic is fit we will be over run. The comments Sawyer had a dreadful opening? I thought that was the first time we looked composed to be honest. Fox wasn’t his usual self and Songo’o shored up the midfield. It wasn’t pretty and we expect better but some of these comments are a bit over the top. And as for Edwards going to cost us more points... I can only guess you weren’t at Walsall and if he’s the one you’re picking out for critisism tonight, I think you need to pick a new sport.
it was me who gave a four but i was a little harsh on this promising goalkeeper so upped it to five.

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
A very dour affair.

Tafari Moore looked very nervous. I wouldn’t knock him too hard but today wasn’t his day - although he did have a better second half.

Wootton and Edwards looked ok to me - but some work to do.

Fox was very poor. He gave the ball away more today than in the whole of last season. Very unusual!

Reuben and Carey were feeding off scraps in the first and the latter had to fight to get in the game in the second.

We’ll play better this season and lose.

No crisis but no joy today either.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Metal_Green_Mickey":1sf6b9qc said:
So firstly l must applaud Macey and Moore.

Apart from the spill and the offside goal I thought Macey did what he could.

Moore was everything we have been missing at RB. Mobile and energetic. He ran up and down that touchline and l was excited about the width he can give us.

What else to say about the game? Apart from the penalty there is no real other chances to speak of. So that in itself is a scary fact.

We actually played no better in the first half than we did in the second. Southend were very wasteful. Countless good chances which should have resulted in an easy 3 points.

The system we play needs workhorses and physicality in the midfield. We have 3 lightweight players in Fox, Ness and C Grant that if there passing doesn’t work they simply don’t offer anything else as a midfield 3 unit. They just get blown away because they are powederpuff.

If you get physical, energetic workhorses you then fight for the right to win the ball. Then once you won it you can give to C Grant, Carey, Lameiras etc...... Adams seems to think you can put all these ball playing midfielders in one side. The worse thing is though one today’s evidence our ball plsying midfielders can’t even pass the ball to fellow team mates.

I must disagree with UTL about Songo. At least when he came on he steadily slowed the flow of their attacks. They weren’t getting easy shots away with no challenges.

Feel sorry for Taylor. With service like he had it’s appalling.

If you think Adams tactics defensively aren’t a worry you only have to see the final moment of the game. One long punt in their half just cuts out all the Argyle players. One Argyle centre half left exposed one on one with Theo Robinson with absolute ease. It’s dreadful not only our attacking limp ness but our defending as a unit.

At the end the only positive really is someone we got a point when we deserved absolutely nothing. It was that dreadful. No energy, fight or pattern of play on show.

The one hope l cling onto is that we haven’t found our feet and as the season unfolds we will get better. That the new players will improve us. That Carey and a Lameiras will influence games as we grow into the season. To be honest we couldn’t get much worse on today’s display.

Spot on MGM

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
The team will need a bit more time to get going, that much is clear. The play was sloppy and we lacked the aggression to compensate. Taylor watched pass after pass fly past him and neither Carey nor Lameiras were especially effective. Not sure that tactics are the problem. Sahfend played quite well and but for poor finishing and a bit of hard luck probably would have claimed a deserved victory.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
A point is what we deserved and nothing more.

It wasn't the most entertaining of games with rare goal mouth action and just two shots on target for Argyle and one of them was a penalty. Both sides were awarded a penalty in the first half and the action was more dramatic off the pitch with managers Derek Adams and Chris Powell coming together on the touchline, Adams was definitely pushed.
After having a word with the fourth official the ref issued a red card each to Adams and Powell and sent them to the stands. But what stand because the grandstand is out of bounds?
Powell appeared in the second half in the directors box of the empty grandstand and it looked like Adams was in the old executive boxes.

We lost the midfield battle until Songo'o was introduced in the second half, Ness, Grant and sadly Fox were second best to 50/50 challenges, missed out on the second balls and were dominated by the Southend midfielders.

Tafari Moore replaced Riley at right-back, otherwise it was the same team that started against Walsall.

The tone was set in the first 10 minutes of the game when Southend camped in our half, we just couldn't get out. We survived several corners and a "goal" which was thankfully ruled out for offside. Macey also made two excellent low saves - we were on the rack!

Amazingly upon amazingly we took the lead in the 20th minute against the run of play. A cross found Conor Grant who headed towards goal, Oxley pulled off a good save and the ball fell to Moore, he was bundled over but the ref ignored cries for a penalty, however in the corner of the pitch on his own was a man frantically waving a brightly coloured flag. The ref trundled over to have a word with him and instantly gave a penalty to Argyle. Well done linesman!
There was a long delay while the Southend players verbally assaulted the lino, once they finished Carey stepped up and fired high into the net. 1-0, not deserved but we'll take it.

The confidence in the team visibly rose and it was Southend's turn to defend.

Following a corner it was our turn to concede a penalty with Taylor adjudged to have fouled in the area, although it looked a harsh decision. For the second game in succession Macey faced a penalty but couldn't save this one. 1-1.

Taylor then received a yellow card for what looked like using a dangerous elbow but the action took place by the dugouts with both mangers literally seeing red and sent to the non-existent stand.

Onto the second half and new manager Paul Wotton gave Ruben Lameiras 10 minutes before hauling him off and bringing on Gary Sawyer, while Ashley Smith-Brown (who was having a good game at left back) was pushed forward to left wing.

The change didn't change anything, Southend still dominated the midfield, so another change was soon made with Yann Songo'o replacing Fox. Songo'o gave us more strength and we enjoyed some pressure without actually creating a goal scoring chance.

Wotton only waited 6 minutes before making another change, Freddie Ladapo swapped with the unfortunate Smith-Brown and went with a 4-3-3 formation.
Ladapo caused some problems and created a half chance that hit the side netting but again we didn't carve out a real goalscoring chance.

Southend always looked more likely to score a winner but thankfully we survived.

It was a very average performance, although credit to Southend who closed us down and harried, our midfield just couldn't cope and when that happens Fox becomes a passenger. He's at his best sitting in front of the back four and dictating play.

Edwards had a poor game, after the euphoria of last week it was back down to earth for this game, he was slow and cumbersome and was caught on the ball several times. Alongside him Wootton had a better game while both full backs did well, especially Moore who was always willing to push forward.

We suffered by playing too many long balls to Taylor who did his best but if Carey and Lameiras are off form our gameplan goes out the window. Lameiras was another passenger while Carey is a pale shadow of the player we know and love.

Macey had another good game, his two low saves were excellent, Songo'o and Ladapo made a difference when they took to the field and should be pushing for a starting place.

Unlike the Walsall game Fox handed over the captains armband to Sawyer as soon as he came on to the pitch.

Much like the Walsall game it was a disappointing performance that had sometimes had good play but largely it was disjointed.

I thought the white lines on the pitch were very faint so maybe the heavy rain washed the top layer away.

Under the Lyndhurst in the concourse the breeze block walls built in 2002 were painted white with black trim and looked very nice while extra information screens were dotted around.

Entertainment value 5/10.

Man of the match - Macey.

Macey 7, Moore 7, Edwards 5, Wootton 6, Smith-Brown 7, Fox 4, Ness 5, C Grant 5, Carey 6, Lameiras 4, Taylor 6. Subs Songo'o 7, Ladapo 7, Sawyer 5.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I didn’t enjoy that at all.

Very dour and I though both teams battled it out to see who was worse.

I though Moore and Brown played well.

Mar 8, 2016
IJN":2hstp0hp said:
I didn’t enjoy that at all.

Very dour and I though both teams battled it out to see who was worse.

I though Moore and Brown played well.

Argyle won that battle. Southend should have win that convincingly.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
As has been said, no cohesion or flow to our game. It felt like a pre-season outing to me - I do wonder about the standard of our pre-season activity and if that is having a bearing.

Clearly this team needs time - some bright moments from C.Grant who has something about him.

MoM - Macey, and a mention for Taylor who took some stick (and gave some) while battling for mainly hopeful passes.