Brief Synopsis!!! (Southend) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Southend)

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Just seen the highlights (if you can call them that) and Southends penalty is soft. Taylor didn’t do a lot wrong and think it was more of a case of the Southend player looking for it and the ref trying to even out the soft penalty he gave is

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Tugboat":2ja4lxz5 said:
Just seen the highlights (if you can call them that) and Southends penalty is soft. Taylor didn’t do a lot wrong and think it was more of a case of the Southend player looking for it and the ref trying to even out the soft penalty he gave is
Yep. Even their chairman raised his eyebrows at me for that one! Both pens were soft.

Jan 30, 2016
It was a bad day at the office. Will have to see if any of the players who have not played yet can come good on Tuesday night.

Sep 8, 2013
Regarding the search for that last signing - a loan midfielder we are led to suppose - I feel that we need a fit and experienced player who can impose himself on play. We have a number of younger and maybe promising players but who are as yet not imposing or dominant. Hence the reason for my feeling. May be difficult however to find/afford such a player however.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I'm not quite getting the 'demolition' comments.

We started with exactly the same attack that steamrollered teams in the second half of last season, with two thirds of the midfield, and two full backs with way more attacking ability than last year.

The problems appear to lie in central defence, where we're unable to get the ball out to those attack minded players in the first place. Perhaps we need a Vyner-type ball player on loan, and Bradley was possibly underrated as a passer.

Or of course, we simply played badly and will improve in the coming weeks.

Oct 31, 2015
moles40":18z4vrut said:
Come back after 10 games then let’s see how inaccurate your forecast is.

# nailed on play offs

We said that last season after 10 then after 20 then bang!!!

We cant have that bang every season. All be it the season is a marathon not a sprint but for me the 1st team looks a lot weaker than the one on rthat run last season.

Bradley is better than woottan
Vyner is better thsn Edwarda
Threkheld is better than both right backs
Sarcs or Toums missing in midfield
I think Sawyer was better at left back yesterday when he came on

Add in Ruben was a passenger yesterday, Tayls was isolated and our midfield was steam rollered it made up for a frustrating day.

I trust DA after his run lasy season but we need to remove the green tints.

Mar 14, 2009
In the two games gone, ASB has twice been pushed upfield. I’m starting to wonder if eventually we will see him play more permanently in advanced positions up the pitch. In essence the reversal of what we did with Threlkeld where we turned him from a midfielder to a right back.

The imbalance isn’t the left footedness of the team. It’s that they all seem to be similar type of players.

I refuse to write off players after just two games. Despite how poor they are playing. For some that is their first or second league game in an Argyle shirt. There are players we haven’t seen yet. There is also one or two youngsters who l think could end up challenging for a spot if Argyle carry on with this lethargic approach.

What l will say is that as a collective unit they look a shambles. And here is one main reason why. One of the biggest features of us turning around our form last season was the way we started to press the opposition. Yesterday, we went back to the bad old days of where we stood off as a team and didn’t make challenges until they in our half. This is something to look out for because l believe if/when we start to do this again we will have turned the corner.

If the press doesn’t come back, and these stand off tactics continue we will continue to get played through and picked off. It’s too easy for teams to play their passes and create their chances.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
rsp4":qmaiax8s said:
moles40":qmaiax8s said:

# nailed on play offs

We cant have that bang every season. All be it the season is a marathon not a sprint but for me the 1st team looks a lot weaker than the one on rthat run last season.

Add in Ruben was a passenger yesterday, Tayls was isolated and our midfield was steam rollered it made up for a frustrating day.

Totally agree with the view that Bradley is better than Wooton, which begs the question.. why did we not try harder to keep Sonny? We knew we’d lose Vyber so why not at least try to keep one decent recognised CB (nobody knew how Edwards would come back after his health issues)

With the exception of Smith-Brown we are certainly weaker in defence than last season. I think we need a decent CB (who’s not slow) more than we need a central midfielder.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
JannerinCardiff":2r3gnwv1 said:
rsp4":2r3gnwv1 said:
moles40":2r3gnwv1 said:

# nailed on play offs

Totally agree with the view that Bradley is better than Wooton, which begs the question.. why did we not try harder to keep Sonny? We knew we’d lose Vyber so why not at least try to keep one decent recognised CB (nobody knew how Edwards would come back after his health issues)

With the exception of Smith-Brown we are certainly weaker in defence than last season. I think we need a decent CB (who’s not slow) more than we need a central midfielder.
Very early to say Wootton is worse than Bradley. I remember being very underwhelmed by Bradley's first couple of games when he first joined.

Yesterday was awful but let's at least give players a bit more time. You'd have thought we would have learnt our lesson now to not judge players straight away.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Steve.PAFC2012":1t7irdae said:
JannerinCardiff":1t7irdae said:
rsp4":1t7irdae said:
moles40":1t7irdae said:

# nailed on play offs

Very early to say Wootton is worse than Bradley. I remember being very underwhelmed by Bradley's first couple of games when he first joined.

Yesterday was awful but let's at least give players a bit more time. You'd have thought we would have learnt our lesson now to not judge players straight away.

I’m judging this on a full pre-season and two league games against poor L1 teams (IMO), I just don’t know why we let a perfectly good CB (who won a player of the season with us) to replace him with someone with no more pace, less aerial ability, less of a threat in opposition boxes, equal or less positional sense. We brought in 3 new CB’s yet not one of them is better than what we had last season.Dorry just my view- we should have offered a better contract to Sonny.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
How can people be saying we're missing Diagarouga in midfield? We played six months without him from January onwards and were unbelievable for most of it.

Pace, midfield mobility and a ball playing centre back is what we're missing. Diagarouga and Bradley don't tick any of those boxes by my reckoning.

Aug 5, 2016
JannerinCardiff":3qsbd2iq said:
Steve.PAFC2012":3qsbd2iq said:
JannerinCardiff":3qsbd2iq said:
rsp4":3qsbd2iq said:
moles40":3qsbd2iq said:

# nailed on play offs

I’m judging this on a full pre-season and two league games against poor L1 teams (IMO), I just don’t know why we let a perfectly good CB (who won a player of the season with us) to replace him with someone with no more pace, less aerial ability, less of a threat in opposition boxes, equal or less positional sense. We brought in 3 new CB’s yet not one of them is better than what we had last season.Dorry just my view- we should have offered a better contract to Sonny.

You have no idea what our contract offer to Bradley was, what he was earning before, what his new wage demands were, nor what Luton are paying him.

He could very feasibly have been earning £1000 a week before and be getting £3000 a week at Luton with a £50,000 signing on fee in his back pocket.

Is Adams meant to be held to ransom to that? He found Bradley on his way out at Crawley having achieved little of note in his career before that. Adams can spot a good unwanted CB and seemed quite to strike in that department finding Canavan and Wootton soon enough.

We really can't comment that letting Bradley go was a mistake without knowing the specifics. Luton paid £200,000 for Jervis to warm their bench, it's not an exaggeration to say they have money to throw away that we don't.

It's also worth remembering Bradley was seen as the biggest donkey in the Football League by our fans, three games into his career with Argyle. Maybe our current crop that are getting written off after two league games (Canavan and Peter Grant having not even played!) deserve a little more time?