Brief Synopsis!!! (Southend) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Southend)

Mar 14, 2009
Nobby":2g88z5mu said:
How can people be saying we're missing Diagarouga in midfield? We played six months without him from January onwards and were unbelievable for most of it.

Pace, midfield mobility and a ball playing centre back is what we're missing. Diagarouga and Bradley don't tick any of those boxes by my reckoning.

Toums played well but when he went we had a fit and firing Sarcevic.

We don’t just have a problem in the middle of the pitch defensively. There is equally just as big problem in the centre of midfield. You can’t just rely on Sarcevic giving you the physicality that Argyle badly need. Plus he can’t do it all on his own.

The problem is Sarcevic doesn’t have the best injury record and it takes him a few games before he is really impacting games.

Yesterday wasn’t just a bad game. You can see there are some massive issues. However, Adams does have a number of players at his disposal. You don’t have to keep playing the same people in the same formation.

I think it will get better later on but not to the extent of last season. There are some serious questions Adams needs finding a solution to which has nothing to do with the personnel he has brought in.

1. Where has the pressing gone of the opposition that we did last season? Far too much time on the ball for Southend players to pick their pass. Argyle far too deep

2. Why were Carey and Lameiras so deep and so wide, leaving Taylor isolated yesterday?

Feb 17, 2017
Having just made the Southend tactical anaylsis video i would say it is more our formation at the moment that is not working. We are using a 4-3-3 but we are not playing to its strengths, but we are certainlyy suffering from the weaknesses of it. The front 5 TLC grant and Ness should be pressing much more, if they get past that its 5 v 6 against a 4-4-2 formation. We are also not building from the back at all. Both Walsall and Southend played a 4-4-2 and they both used it in different ways. Walsall to stop us attacking, Southend to attack us in wide positions. You need very skillful and fit players to play 4-3-3.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
A bad match all round but I thought Taylor played exceptionally well, so so strong, I hope he is OK from when he pulled up.

Moore looked terrified going forward and had a terrible first and second touch and in addition got pulled all over the place. Hopefully just nerves.

Yep, not much else to add... Grant looked interesting

Oct 24, 2010
We were pretty much outplayed for the majority of the game and did well to come away with a draw. We defended deep and did not press Southend high up the pitch which made it very difficult to get forward and we had to resort to the long ball up to Taylor which the Southend defence dealt with comfortably. We were very sluggish but the positives were we kept our shape well, worked hard without the ball and restricted Southend's clear cut chances and did look dangerous when we got good possession in their last third. A bad day at the office with plenty of room for improvement which I'm sure will come but in the end a very good point.