Brief Synopsis Fleetwood | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis Fleetwood

Sep 3, 2009
Watching the highlights back I think that the way that their player was allowed the time and space to turn 360 degrees and cross the ball in for their second goal was criminal. In general, some people are saying that the central defenders needed to deal with the barrage of crosses better but really, it’s the crosses that are being allowed to come in from wide positions that we should focus on.
That's a really good point. The best defenders anywhere are going to be found wanting if they are constantly called into action like that (though I did think Crichlow was poor when he came on).

Their 2nd goal was worse than the 3rd from our perspective. Genuinely fail to see how the 3rd was given. There were so many infringements it's laughable they weren't caught

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
2 in 2 for Jephcott after a period on the sidelines. Took both his goals well this week and was terrific in the build-up for the 2nd last night.
Agreed.

Hopefully it’s the start of a scoring run.

My fear is if we keep pumping the ball up to him expecting him to win aerial duals. Its just not his game. What he needs is service from wide areas.

Last edited:

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
We look like a mid-table team with the occasional flirtation with a play-off place when we get a run of results. Steven Schumacher's post match interview was honest and an accurate appraisal of the problems we are currently facing. Our weakness is and has been most of the season has been the wide areas. The system usually deployed relies on athletic wing backs who can get up and down. Recently, we have been good at the former (witness our 2nd goal last night) but not at the latter where the freedom to get crosses into the box places extra pressure on the centre backs.

The truth is that Wilson and Scarr, in particular, are not maintaining the standards they displayed earlier in the season and as a result we are often vulnerable not least to a swift counter attack. Whether Bolton remains to be seen as he works his way back to full match fitness. Galloway is an obvious loss and Gillesphey and Critchlow have work to do to fully convince. The other issue is that most opponents expose Mike Cooper's obvious Achilles heel in dominating his 6-yard box. Many create a 'crowd scene' (as Big Ron used to call it) for corners and we lack the physicality within the team (beyond the CBs) to effectively defend it.

The early season start offered false promise but we are a solid mid-table team and play a 'brand' (horrible word) of football that often results in entertaining games albeit not always with the desired result. I for one are content with that outcome for this season and I would see it as a valued progression on the pathway to the Championship. In the balance of hope v expectation we perhaps just need to embrace more of the latter.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Watching the highlights back I think that the way that their player was allowed the time and space to turn 360 degrees and cross the ball in for their second goal was criminal. In general, some people are saying that the central defenders needed to deal with the barrage of crosses better but really, it’s the crosses that are being allowed to come in from wide positions that we should focus on.

But then who’s meant to stop these crosses? Is it the wing backs? Is It one of the three centre halves? If the centre halves move out wide they vacate space in the middle. These are decisions league one players need to make in a spilt second.

This is why l feel sorry for our defenders and wing backs. You need pace to cover all these gaps. You can’t say Edwards, Grant, Gillesphy, Scarr and Wilson are the quickest. Look at Lincolns’s first goal. A foot race down the line that Wilson had with a winger. It’s an unfair contest. Yet we play in a manner that allows teams to get in behind us like this. This is why we all loved Galloway. He had pace and could read the game well.

Last edited:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
But the number 11, stood on the line and getting the last touch can only be offside.

But does the ball come off Randell before it reaches the number 11?
It's difficult to see clearly.

Jun 27, 2019
I hope Schumacher was raging at the keeper and back three. The game management was dreadful and that was the definition of bottling it.

I thought we had solved our defensive problems but they are back with a vengeance . As I said earlier I hope Hughes knows what he’s doing because he’s taken on a big job here.
We had, but then Galloway got injured.

It's no coincidence that all three of Fleetwood's goals last night came from our left side. If Schumacher thought Crichlow would be an immediate upgrade on Gillesphey then he'll he sorely disappointed so far.

We've got big problems and the playoffs will disappear into the distance if they aren't sorted out starting this weekend.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
This is what I saw too. Player with his back to goal and 2 Argyle players around him... how does he get the cross in?!!

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Splitting hairs is not going to change the result- shoulda, woulda, coulda is not going to change the result
I wonder what the players are thinking today after sleeping on it
Fleetwood's 2nd & 3rd goal are the stuff of nightmares- only the players that put on the green shirt can change it - it is whether they have the strength & mentality to get out of the rut they are currently in
The last 2 games have been extremely painful & the charitable giving away of cheap goals needs to be nipped in the bud- if Schuey & his team can't fix it or don't know how to fix it i feel the remainder of this season is going to be a mirror image of last season

May 22, 2006
But does the ball come off Randell before it reaches the number 11?
It's difficult to see clearly.
Possibly but it looks like the Fleetwood player heads it onto Randell, so the goal scorer is still offside.
At the end of the day, the goal was given, so we need to accept it and move on.

Aug 13, 2009
Entertaining game with a great first goal by Argyle. Agree that the wing-backs, particularly down the left were getting caught out to far up-field. Also Cooper should be much stronger for their equaliser. He has always been weak on crosses but has improved a bit on that this season

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
It feels inevitable that Agard will score…
Remember Marcel Seip scoring against us for Blackpool whilst on loan from us to them, because someone forgot to have that conversation?
On this occasion Agard was released before he signed for Donny, so the fact is we need to score at least 2 to win the match! And obviously he will have been watched in training for 4 months and observed to be lethal inside the penalty area, so we will give him the freedom of the box to ensure he gets his goal on Saturday.

Jun 27, 2019
Indeed. You could see from Edwards' reaction to the goal who he blamed. He angrily pointed towards our left-hand side and made a sort of 'get rid' gesture.

All our opponents (if they weren't already) will be trying to work the ball into wide areas and flood the box for crosses. It's a massive chink in our armour and it's amazing the management aren't doing anything about it.

Jan 30, 2016
how about going to 442 we need to be stronger at the back
Cooper
Wilson Bolton Scarr Gillesphey
Camara Houghton Randell Major
Garrick Ennis

Or variations with Hardie/Jephcott. I think that Edwards could do a centre midfield role also