Brief Synopsis Fleetwood | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis Fleetwood

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We brought in a so called defensive coach but what exactly is he doing?

We've conceded 9 goals in 3 games since his arrival!

Call me old fashioned but isn't that defeating the object ever so slightly?

It does seem a coincidence that the wing-backs are now playing much higher - if the wing-back department does indeed come under the scope of the new defensive coach.

Edwards scored against Fleetwood because he was further forward but Grant cost us the first goal by being so far up the pitch allowing Lane the freedom of our left side to score, albeit a cracking goal.
Check out the highlights.

https://youtu.be/3FW0r1nFj80

Jan 30, 2016
That ref was a bit biased to the home side - Randell supposed to have fouled at least twice when hardly touching the opposition, Ennis not given fouls when rugby tackled at least twice. That third goal is a travesty with Cooper getting mugged and then the ball headed in by a player clearly offside. Having sad that , Argyle at no time dominated the play and will have to step up in future games to make the playoffs, at the minute we are travelling slowly in the opposite direction.

Jun 27, 2013
That ref wouldn't know the meaning of consistency if it smacked him in the face and called him a t**t, but we should have won despite that. Whilst there naturally are aspects of the game that we could have done better how that lino failed to see the player intentionally impeding Cooper, and ultimately affecting play, from a clearly offside position to snatch a point is beyond comprehension

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
When we started this journey with Lowe he always said about attacking football.

We started to play out from the back. I remember watching us get caught with the ball as the defence often played it to the CDM and the opposition pounced.

Then last season a change occurred. We started to knock it much. longer. And more often.

Yet the question, is why are banging long balls, aimless balls to the front two continually when it’s not Hardie, Jephcott, Garrick or Ennis strength to win a ball in the air against 6ft plus CB’s?

Id understand if we had a “bully boy” forward to batter the opposition around but the forwards we have, especially Ennis and Garrick, are good with their back to goal if you get it into their feet. Ennis tonight showed his class by holding off players with his back to goal. Yet to turn opposition players he needs it to feet.

For supposedly a passing team we don’t look after the ball well at times.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
Feels like a lot of questions to be answered, definitely some for the players and also for the management, both seemed to think at 3-1 it was "job done". Fleetwood certainly didn't and their third was the proof of this.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
In fairness their equaliser was well offside

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
We can all say the referee should not have given the 3rd Fleetwood goal but that is irrelevant - the whistle happy referee did not see an infringement on Coops & the linesman didn't give offside - the players should have been switched on for Fleetwoods corner routine- they weren't & were punished
Did they not learn anything from Saturday's sucker punch & what do they do in training regarding defending crosses into the box & corners- it is all unravelling at a alarming rate
Are we going to capitulate at Donny on Saturday when they get a corner or swing crosses into the box - the once rock solid defensive unit has turned into a gibbering wreck , the switched on for 90 plus minutes unit appears to have gone on a sabbatical- it is extremely frustrating & gut wrenching to watch- all the good work the players put in to go 1-3 up wasted because we can't defend crosses into the box & corners
Schuey has come out & told it straight but does he & his coaching team have it in their locker to turn it around- i guess we will have to wait & see

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the equaliser we should never have been in a position to concede it. I can’t for one minute imagine any manager worth his salt saying bad luck fellas the ref robbed us.

I hope Schumacher was raging at the keeper and back three. The game management was dreadful and that was the definition of bottling it.

Doncaster and Crewe won’t ever feel out of the game against us because just one long ball down the middle or a cross into the six yard box is likely to end up with a goal.

I thought we had solved our defensive problems but they are back with a vengeance now. As I said earlier I hope Hughes knows what he’s doing because he’s taken on a big job here.

On a side note I wonder since Charlton away what our current form position would be? And why the drastic drop off since then?

Reactions: oldage and Tonka
Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Not the most important moment of last night, granted, but... referee gives us a free kick in a reasonable position, waits 20 seconds whilst we bring our defenders forward... and THEN blows for full time the moment we take it?!

I couldn't help shake the feeling it was a bit of a "you moan at me for the 3rd goal so I'll mess you around" type thing - I can't think of any other reason.

Jun 28, 2006
Plymouth
Not the most important moment of last night, granted, but... referee gives us a free kick in a reasonable position, waits 20 seconds whilst we bring our defenders forward... and THEN blows for full time the moment we take it?!

I couldn't help shake the feeling it was a bit of a "you moan at me for the 3rd goal so I'll mess you around" type thing - I can't think of any other reason.
I agree, although I think it’s another example of an official that’s never played the game that didn’t have a clue.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the equaliser we should never have been in a position to concede it. I can’t for one minute imagine any manager worth his salt saying bad luck fellas the ref robbed us.

I hope Schumacher was raging at the keeper and back three. The game management was dreadful and that was the definition of bottling it.

Doncaster and Crewe won’t ever feel out of the game against us because just one long ball down the middle or a cross into the six yard box is likely to end up with a goal.

I thought we had solved our defensive problems but they are back with a vengeance now. As I said earlier I hope Hughes knows what he’s doing because he’s taken on a big job here.

On a side note I wonder since Charlton away what our current form position would be? And why the drastic drop off since then?

Its s good question.

If you remember last season Jephcott scored 13/14 (roughly) goals before new year. From February onwards our forwards aren’t scoring as many. Our results are terrible from this point.

This season Hardie starts on fire. Scores 12/13 (roughly) before December. Results are good. From December onwards we haven’t that player who’s consistently scoring and so results become varied.

If one of our forwards starts scoring regularly then it puts less press on the rest of the team l believe. And as a result we play better because we rely heavily on them as our midfield doesn’t score enough.

Sep 3, 2009
Thought I'd largely sleep on it.

Taking the positives this morning. We scored 3 really good goals in a scrappy, frustrating game. Fleetwood were very much on the front foot and kept the ball from us for long periods, particularly in the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half. We weren't allowed to settle into any real pattern of play and the pitch hardly lent itself to our best style anyway.

There is clearly work to do at the back but I think we've been upended by the injury to Galloway. His pace and poise rescued us in more than a few situations earlier this season; for a squad of Argyle's size it's a major blow to lose your best defender like that.

In microcosm, it's difficult to look past throwing away 3 points to last minute goals in the space of 4 days but it's very fine margins. With a reasonable head on, we are still an outfit in transition. If we end up in the top 10, which I think we will, it has to go down as progress, irrespective of where we were earlier this season - and especially suffering the disruption of involuntarily and surprisingly losing a manager mid-season.

To those turning on Schumacher already, have a word! He's a very young manager starting out and needs the time to bed in. In the last couple of years, Argyle have starting getting most of the big calls right. I would rather we give some like SS a spin than pluck someone off the managerial merry-go-round.

It does look like we are very much falling back into the pack but there is everything to play for in the next few months. The forwards look lively, which is a plus. We have another very promising midfielder in Randell, who is providing genuine competition for more seasoned pros. Mayor, Houghton and Hardie to come back into the mix

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Watching the highlights back I think that the way that their player was allowed the time and space to turn 360 degrees and cross the ball in for their second goal was criminal. In general, some people are saying that the central defenders needed to deal with the barrage of crosses better but really, it’s the crosses that are being allowed to come in from wide positions that we should focus on.

Reactions: Greencat26
Sep 3, 2009
Its s good question.

If you remember last season Jephcott scored 13/14 (roughly) goals before new year. From February onwards our forwards aren’t scoring as many. Our results are terrible from this point.

This season Hardie starts on fire. Scores 12/13 (roughly) before December. Results are good. From December onwards we haven’t that player who’s consistently scoring and so results become varied.

If one of our forwards starts scoring regularly then it puts less press on the rest of the team l believe. And as a result we play better because we rely heavily on them as our midfield doesn’t score enough.
2 in 2 for Jephcott after a period on the sidelines. Took both his goals well this week and was terrific in the build-up for the 2nd last night.