Brief Synopsis Fleetwood | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis Fleetwood

Aug 15, 2015
To be fair to Fleetwood their second goal was a quality cross.

Look at most of the goals tonight. Come from width, then a cross or cutting inside from the byline for a shot. Look at Saturday. All three goals the same.

Argyle have had a problem with this system being exploited down the sides of them.

Argyle also have the issue they have no real width and itā€™s killing us at times. Yes they scored a second goal tonight from wing back to wing back but the majority of the play is being lumped down the middle.

We canā€™t progress until this is finally sorted.
You really go over the top with the width thing. Up until recently we were in the promotion places, and we're still very much in the playoff mix. I'm not sure how we can't progress until this is sorted. We were promoted from L2 with the same type of system and players. We're in the hunt for the same in L1. You're not as daft as some other posters on here but I get the feelimg you can't wait to raise this every time a goal comes from wide or something similar. It's also very difficult to come by expert wing backs in the mould of TAA & Robertson. Your expectations are a little too high. You also make it sound as though this is a gaping flaw every single week of the football calendar. It isn't. Argyle are doing more than fine and despite a recent blip are still very much in with a chance to get a play-off spot.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
The number of points that weā€™ve lost from the 85th minute onwards has been disappointing, weā€™d be 4th with those extra points. A lack of game management or a lack of resolve? Probably a bit of both. We need to be far smarter and far more switched on late on in games.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
By my reckoning we've lost 8 points this season when the opposition has scored in the 85th plus minute.
(Where the goals scored have affected the points).

Portsmouth, Lincoln, Wigan, Lincoln, Fleetwood.

On the flip side we've scored late (85+) in two games to win an extra 4 points. Gillingham and Doncaster.

That said, the last two results have been gutting.
Thanks for the insight. I guess it feels worse when the two most recent occurrences have been in quick succession. Hopefully something for the management team to sort out. And fast.

Jul 27, 2021
3 -1 up into the last 10 and we stopped playing. Camara substitution was a pivotal mistake and we have back line issues on the left. Hard to see the 'big picture' tonight.
Hate to say it but Iā€™ve said that all season. Teams focus on this , every game FACT .

Jul 28, 2020
Itā€™s a learning curve for Shuey- but heā€™s going to need to learn fast.

We should be celebrating 4 points from the last two matches- not just 1.

If weā€™re going to win promotion this season- or any season- then weā€™re going to have to learn how to run the clock down, and ā€œ game manageā€. Thereā€™s nothing like two banks of four to do that, in the final stages of a game, and thatā€™s what we should be doing at times, in my opinion.

There should be a way of putting out a 3-5-2 side, with the flexibility, height and know how to switch into 4-4-2 when needed.

Cobi Budge

Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Iā€™ve just watched the highlights and their equaliser was hard to stomach. Dreadful from a goalkeeping point of view, dreadful from a defending point of view. Just dreadful.

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Iā€™ve just watched the highlights and their equaliser was hard to stomach. Dreadful from a goalkeeping point of view, dreadful from a defending point of view. Just dreadful.
To be honest the dreadfulness starts in the way we coughed up possession for them to have the attack in the first place. Just full on panic mode

Cobi Budge

Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
To be honest the dreadfulness starts in the way we coughed up possession for them to have the attack in the first place. Just full on panic mode

We really need to get the hang of game management, even if that means taking a few tips from someone like Wycombe, because as you say, we go into panic mode after the 85th minute.

Reactions: slingsbypobble
Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Naive to take off Camara, our own physical presence in midfield, for a young lad whoā€™s never played in the football league before, when your midfield is already depleted.

Also Cooper let us down. Heā€™s the only player who can use his hands in that box. Either get something on it or if youā€™re being fouled, go to ground. So so frustrating because that should have been 3 points.

Naivety.

Reactions: chester

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
We really need to get the hang of game management, even if that means taking a few tips from someone like Wycombe, because as you say, we go into panic mode after the 85th minute.
Fully agree. At 3-2 there someone needs to either put their foot on the ball and take the sting out of it (missed Mayor coming on to do that), or at the very least to sit on the pitch claiming cramp in such a position as the ref has to deal with you

mutley marvel

Cream First
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Hope we do not revert to headless chickens & charitable goal givers as per last season. The wheels are now becoming exceptionally loose & it is up to the Coaching Team to stop the rot & concentrate on game management & staying switched on for the entire game else we will have the remaining games of the season ending with the same outcome

Reactions: elburtontrev

MGM

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 7, 2021
You really go over the top with the width thing. Up until recently we were in the promotion places, and we're still very much in the playoff mix. I'm not sure how we can't progress until this is sorted. We were promoted from L2 with the same type of system and players. We're in the hunt for the same in L1. You're not as daft as some other posters on here but I get the feelimg you can't wait to raise this every time a goal comes from wide or something similar. It's also very difficult to come by expert wing backs in the mould of TAA & Robertson. Your expectations are a little too high. You also make it sound as though this is a gaping flaw every single week of the football calendar. It isn't. Argyle are doing more than fine and despite a recent blip are still very much in with a chance to get a play-off spot.
l think thatā€™s a a bit unfair to be honest regarding expectations. Iā€™ve had a season ticket for mainly years watching league one and league two football. Iā€™ve seen countless players at this level. Live. So you get a rough idea what they can and canā€™t do.

l donā€™t know what you think l might be asking of these players but l just look at simple tasks like work rate, effort, simple passing, organised if your a defender or hold up play if your a forward and the ability to cross a ball consistently if your a wide player. Nothing too elaborate. Then you see if within that team unit where you think they might finish. Is my expectations of them too high by saying l thought weā€™d finish around 10th this season? l thought l was being realistic to be honest. I take on board your points but lā€™ve now seen many of this side like Edwards and Grant for over 18 months in their roles/positions and so thats how l base my opinion. Not on just tonight. l think thatā€™s fair.

We play a wing back system and to be honest itā€™s a whole new ball game to the level of player you need in a 4ATB system. We need Edwards and Grant to be so good defensively covering the spaces. Yet more importantly they need to be our creative outlet in wide areas. Thats a hell of an ask for a league one player. Especially, two converted midfielders.

The knock on effect is when they are caught out of position the defender behind then is relied upon to fill the space and cover. This is often why one direct ball and the opposition are in. Of course then that defender often gets the blame but they are often left to deal with dangerous one on one situations with quick, skilled opponents.

Iā€™d just like us to have a plan B. l donā€™t understand the obsession with 3-5-2 and no alternative. Why canā€™t it be a 3-4-3 to help give the team more natural width.

Personally, l dont see why we canā€™t have a 4-3-3 with Mayor out wide left and Garrick wide right. Ennis down the middle. Edwards in CM with Camara (with both their work rates l feel our midfield would be transformed) and Randell or Houghton behind. l think we would play better as the natural width is there in a 4-3-3. Would be easier to fit say a C Grant at LB. He wouldnā€™t have to beat anyone but with Mayor he could then find the space by overlapping. Then you have his ability to cross a ball but with Mayor ahead of him to run at opposition full backs. Just like Lincolnā€™s no11 did on Saturday.

Like you said, itā€™s so difficult to come by some expert wing backs (especially for league one). My point then is, is it really sensible to be playing a wing back system in league one especially as in this system they are your only natural width? Do we even have the budget for these type of players.

l donā€™t think these are unfair points to raise. Itā€™s better than seeing people having a go at coaches who have only been here for a few weeks! Especially when the mistakes we seen last night were ones repeated in this system for the past 3 years.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021
Not quite Reading but still a wrist slitting experience (again, for the second time in 3 days).

Cooper was my MoM but think he should have gone down for the foul for their third goal.

I loved seeing Randell shouting and organising those around him. The captain for the future for sure.
It took me back to Elm Park. That feeling of eye-rubbing disbelief as you watch the implosion unfold.
Cooper may have been fouled but has to claim or punch that 3rd when it first comes in.
Critchlow is new to the team, but he didnā€™t inspire confidence with misplaced passes and headers not getting distance.
Ennis was the one bright spot.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
If Camara needed to come off for whatever reason then Bolton needed to come on to see out the game, either sitting in midfield or at RWB and move Edwards into midfield.

But if we beat the bottom team on Saturday then 4 points from two away games isn't too shabby.
A defeat against Doncaster will be devastating for the players.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
There should be a way of putting out a 3-5-2 side, with the flexibility, height and know how to switch into 4-4-2 when needed.

I do agree with that, we donā€™t seem to have had a Plan B under either RL or Schuey.

Reactions: Railway sleeper