Brentwallet - Slimmer or Bulging?? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brentwallet - Slimmer or Bulging??

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Jimsing, where exactly did you find where the unbudgeted income was being spent?
We were promised transparency, but I can’t find it!

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Quizmike":r6ew252r said:
gaspargomez":r6ew252r said:
Argyle have some of the biggest home attendances in this league, so the income should be there to compete very strongly with most other League One clubs. Not very many are bankrolled by rich owners. Yet Argyle seem to rely exclusively on loanees, free transfers and released players. They dont seem to pay transfer fees either. Not necessarily a bad thing, but Adams has complained about the playing budget in the Herald before and its legitimate to raise questions about this.

Gaspar, just pointing out to you for probably the 8th time that the majority of clubs in this division are bankrolled by rich owners. I've even listed them for you twice.

I take it you don't read other people's posts?
I'd also list the players we've signed for actual fees over the past 6/7 years (most of them were garbage) for about the fifteenth time for him, but I really can't be bothered any more.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
jimsing":ds3em4v8 said:
Beyton_Green":ds3em4v8 said:
With all the outgoings plus £125k for Jervis plus the alleged 'unspent budget' from the summer it would appear that the playing investment has actually decreased.

Clearly happy with the current position and no push for the playoffs.

Same old same old.

I think you'll find the "unspent budget" from the Summer went on our catastrophic goalkeeping situation, but don't let that stop you from having a pop at the Chairman for no reason at all.
Far too sensible for this thread.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Since when has it been a rule to re-invest every single penny of transfer fees received in the same window?! Especially when we had about an hour to spend it in... or do people want us to go back to the 2009/2010 mantra of spending money that we don't have yet?

I'd expect the wage budget to increase from this window's dealings. We can still bring in free transfers don't forget, and I'd hope there will be 1 or 2 we can now bring in. If not, I'd expect the budget to go up in the summer.

Until then, you can't possibly know that Brent has just pocketed the difference, so give it a rest. He deserves questioning on a number of things that have happened during his time here. But having a pop at him over this just does not add up.

If we sign no-one on a free in the next few months and the budget does not appear to have gone up in the summer - by all means, question away. Right now, you're just making yourselves look a bit silly.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
I don't get this 'push for the playoffs' argument.

We were bottom of the league for weeks and are still very much involved in a relegation fight. Yes our form is strong, but it only takes a run of 3-4 games without a win to see us straight back down in the mire.

Whilst I don't think this will happen, I do think it is wise to look down rather than up at this point.

Also, perhaps the goal for this season is to consolidate and then spend a bit more money in the summer when there is more time and less pressure to sign players.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
jespafc":1ftzn6d9 said:
I don't get this 'push for the playoffs' argument.

We were bottom of the league for weeks and are still very much involved in a relegation fight. Yes our form is strong, but it only takes a run of 3-4 games without a win to see us straight back down in the mire.

Whilst I don't think this will happen, I do think it is wise to look down rather than up at this point.

Also, perhaps the goal for this season is to consolidate and then spend a bit more money in the summer when there is more time and less pressure to sign players.

Yes, agree with this.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Now extend the contracts of our key players. No excuse.

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

Tugboat":3qqxfxi4 said:
Now extend the contracts of our key players. No excuse.

Just because you haven’t been told it doesn’t mean:

A. A contract offer hasn’t been made.
B. A player wants to sign an extension.
C. A player doesn’t have his own demands.

Oct 16, 2016
Wow, really?

I wouldn’t have thought a League 1 clubs’ fans would lower themselves to adopt the; crass, childish, spoilt and idiotic attitude that so readily envelops the minds of today’s ‘Premiership fans’.

The transfer window is an absolute abomination, it turns generally rational people into mindless zombies. If there’s a player available and the whole deal is right I’m sure the move happens? Plymouth Argyle was hours away from being a distant and warm memory just a number of short years ago, do you want that again? I’d never want money swelling an owners pockets, ever, but I do understand that the investment at present extends beyond the pitch, for the shorter term at least.

Odd

Mar 14, 2009
Thinking rationally, Wylde and Sololik were never anywhere near the first time squad.

So yes we had more numbers but to be honest given how poor we were at the start of the season if they couldn't get game time then when on earth were they going to play?

Jervis is strange because we are wondering if it was because he fell out with DA or because of lack of game time. This guy played twice under DA and I think he would of been "street-wise" to know how DA operates by now.

I'm thinking here we are £125,000 better off for lets face it a player we got in for nothing, got some decent service out of BUT has not been part of first team action for over a month.

He is a luxury player. By which I mean he can contribute to a game. Its just wondering when and where he will. Would you swap him for any of the current first team players? Nope.

Then there is Ainsworth. The forgotton man in all this. Has yet to feature in a string of games but has seen to be deemed by some to be not good enough and seems to be dismissed as a player who can step up in the coming months.

Sarcevic form has improved recently. So no reason Ainsworth cant do the same.

As for the injuries then yes we can be a little light. However, Sawyer can play CB if needed, we now have 4 midfielders in Fox, Ness, Sarcevic and Makasi competing for 3 spots and we only ever play one forward so at least we have a back up now. One that DA wanted earlier in the year and really has a point to prove.

The midfield area was the glaring weakness. Especially where we needed a player who could tackle.

I'm not sticking up for Brent or ripping into him. However, like people have mentioned we already have had an incredible amount of goalkeepers through ill fortune which must of hit the budget. Its not like when we desperately needed someone eg Toums or Matthews we weren't able to do a deal due to finances. However, there must be a limit and tbh DA must also take the blame for his summer transfer dealings where he recruited people like Wylde and they have been a waste of money.

Last season he brought in Blissett and Sololik in this part of the window. Where are they now? People said last January window was a success. If it was that much of a success surely these players would be an integral part of our squad for the league one campaign.

Do we really want to bring in players just for the sake of it? If you cant find the right players why bring in people you wouldn't' be happy to play? Maybe a lesson learnt from the summer.

Maybe this is more to do with DA and his transfer stragery, than James Brent. Its too easy as a fan to have a pop at the chairman when actually there are other reasons why certain paths of your football club are taken.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Dan Ellard":10xyiqiu said:
We can still bring in free transfers don't forget, and I'd hope there will be 1 or 2 we can now bring in.

No we can't bring in any transfers, free or not. The transfer window is shut until the summer. Loans are out too.

We can bring in those great players who don't have a contract because no club thought them worth one.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Agree with MGM's post that a lot of these players we've rid of didn't need replacing - they were barely playing anyway (aside from Blissett/Ciftci and we've signed Church to resolve that. The Toums replacement is sorted, provided that Makasi is as good as he is reputed to be.

Which leaves one other player we actually need to replace - Jervis. And we've had a whole 10 hours to replace him! Forget Premier League fans, I think we can even beat most of them for impatience!