Biggest clubs in League 1 next season? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Biggest clubs in League 1 next season?

Apr 1, 2009
Allanon":19gp929p said:
Probably very controversial but, instead of dismissing them, would size be better measured by the the number of "plastics" you attract to the "big" games (live and televised). This is then indicative of the "reach" of the club. The bigger the reach and in turn the number of plastics, shows how attractive a club is,this could be thought of as size.

Just a thought.

That's potential size, not size.

Argyologist

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 4, 2012
Devongreenowl":314zjfyd said:
A lot of willy waving going on here about being a big club. Of course Argyle should get decent crowds. Big city, huge catchment area. No decent other clubs within 130 miles. It would be surprising if they didn’t get good crowds. Taking Burnley as an example. Much smaller town with a third of the population. Surrounded by other bigger clubs. Have always had strong support. Have generally been in and around the top flight. Big club. Anybody comparing Argyle to Burnley is simply deluded.

"Deluded"

There are many obvious clubs that you could have said there.

Burnley isn't one of them.

Never really understood why you post on here when you support Sheffield Wednesday?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Argyologist":1na3ho3f said:
Devongreenowl":1na3ho3f said:
A lot of willy waving going on here about being a big club. Of course Argyle should get decent crowds. Big city, huge catchment area. No decent other clubs within 130 miles. It would be surprising if they didn’t get good crowds. Taking Burnley as an example. Much smaller town with a third of the population. Surrounded by other bigger clubs. Have always had strong support. Have generally been in and around the top flight. Big club. Anybody comparing Argyle to Burnley is simply deluded.

"Deluded"

Never really understood why you post on here when you support Sheffield Wednesday?

Sheffield Wednesday is my home town club. I have supported Argyle as well since 1975. Don’t think I need to apologise for that. I’m sure if I were to ask Mr Hallett if he would rather I didn’t renew my season ticket this year, he would be very supportive of my purchase. The reason I mentioned Burnley is because someone mentioned them earlier in the thread. It’s just an example that’s all.

Argyologist

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 4, 2012
Devongreenowl":2yse9acy said:
Argyologist":2yse9acy said:
Devongreenowl":2yse9acy said:

"Deluded"

Sheffield Wednesday is my home town club. I have supported Argyle as well since 1975. Don’t think I need to apologise for that. I’m sure if I were to ask Mr Hallett if he would rather I didn’t renew my season ticket this year, he would be very supportive of my purchase. The reason I mentioned Burnley is because someone mentioned them earlier in the thread. It’s just an example that’s all.

Whilst you're chatting to him why don't you tell him he's deluded for imagining we are a similar sized club to Burnley.

Argyologist

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 4, 2012
Devongreenowl":30hay2o0 said:

Its quite straightforward to follow.

You were quite clear when you said that anybody who thinks Argyle could be compared to Burnley is delusional.

What do you think Simon Hallett would say to that?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Argyologist":2dhx20s8 said:
Devongreenowl":2dhx20s8 said:

You were quite clear when you said that anybody who thinks Argyle could be compared to Burnley is delusional.

I’ve no idea what he would say, but if I were him I would say, 'Burnley are a club who have spent almost half of the last seventy years in the top flight of English football, compared to zero for Argyle. They are also a club who regularly attract crowds of about a quarter of their towns population. Big club. I hope Argyle can do that one day.'
:scarf:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
In any other walk of life, the size of a club is determined by the size of it's membership. Football clubs for some reason are reluctant to advertised the number of members it has each year.

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
I think you would be quite delusional to compare Argyle to Burnley. They may be a small town somewhere near Manchester, they may be a small town where you wouldn't dream of passing through, let alone holiday there but their footballing pedigree outshines ours by a huge margin. Sad as it may be that a little town that probably no one knows or cares about is a footballing giant compared to us. However we probably hope and dream more than they do and of course, there are plenty of Prem cast-offs whose wives and children are settled in the Burnley area to call upon. Until Plymouth becomes the Barcelona of Britain (that's city not football team) we are always going to find it difficult to consistently attract high quality players and their families and we will consistently under achieve.

Aug 5, 2016
Devongreenowl":xiv6kwab said:
Argyologist":xiv6kwab said:
Devongreenowl":xiv6kwab said:

I’ve no idea what he would say, but if I were him I would say, 'Burnley are a club who have spent almost half of the last seventy years in the top flight of English football, compared to zero for Argyle. They are also a club who regularly attract crowds of about a quarter of their towns population. Big club. I hope Argyle can do that one day.'

If Argyle had the time in the Premier League that Bournemouth or Burnley have had, we would afford sustainable ground expansion, have higher average attendances than either and generate a larger supporter base that would follow us back into the lower leagues. Brighton have done exactly the same with their time in the top flight.

Argyle's potential as a club is bigger than Burnley who have maxed their potential as a club to the limit. What Argyle is missing is the success and the tradition. But is that of any relevance when we are playing Blackpool or Barnsley and the likes who have won top divisions and FA Cups, but ultimately bring far less to our ground than we take to theirs?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Knibbsworth":3j2iw7wo said:
Devongreenowl":3j2iw7wo said:
Argyologist":3j2iw7wo said:
Devongreenowl":3j2iw7wo said:

If Argyle had the time in the Premier League that Bournemouth or Burnley have had, we would afford sustainable ground expansion, have higher average attendances than either and generate a larger supporter base that would follow us back into the lower leagues. Brighton have done exactly the same with their time in the top flight.

Argyle's potential as a club is bigger than Burnley who have maxed their potential as a club to the limit. What Argyle is missing is the success and the tradition. But is that of any relevance when we are playing Blackpool or Barnsley and the likes who have won top divisions and FA Cups, but ultimately bring far less to our ground than we take to theirs?

Ah Knibbsworth. The magical word 'IF'.

Bournemouth - agreed.

Burnley - ask me again when Argyle have spent 30 odd years in the top flight, or even one.

If Argyle's potential is as great as we all like to think it is, why hasn’t it been achieved by now? Some clubs just have it in their DNA.

Aug 5, 2016
Devongreenowl":1untrk4g said:
Knibbsworth":1untrk4g said:
Argyologist":1untrk4g said:

Bournemouth - agreed.

Burnley - ask me again when Argyle have spent 30 odd years in the top flight, or even one.

If Argyle's potential is as great as we all like to think it is, why hasn’t it been achieved by now? Some clubs just have it in their DNA.

But your gauge of a big club seems to be dominated by time spent in the top flight.

Most people wold say that Newcastle are a far bigger club than Burnley. They wouldn't have to get their football annuals out to check how many years were spent in what division to work that out.

Burnley with their 30 years in the top division do not have a bigger fanbase or much of a bigger ground than Plymouth Argyle, who have spent half of the last 25 years in the fourth tier.

The clubs are virtually indistinguishable despite one having every chance to succeed and grow, and the other having little luck and not a lot else to shout about than some sporadic success at lower league level.

Argyologist

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 4, 2012
Devongreenowl":1ym9ju87 said:
Argyologist":1ym9ju87 said:
Devongreenowl":1ym9ju87 said:

The fact that Burnley have spent a long percentage of their history in the top division and in at least one division higher than Argyle is inarguable. Fair play to Burnley, nothing against them at all.

However, even with their higher league status factored in, they have averaged around only 2k more than Argyle on their home gate for the last 100+ years.

Making them a (bigger) but none the less similar sized club to Argyle. Its hardly delusional to compare the two.

As far as you are concerned who's the bigger club in Sheffield - Wednesday or United?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Knibbsworth":1gqwhnzc said:
Devongreenowl":1gqwhnzc said:
Knibbsworth":1gqwhnzc said:
Argyologist":1gqwhnzc said:

Bournemouth - agreed.

But your gauge of a big club seems to be dominated by time spent in the top flight.

Most people wold say that Newcastle are a far bigger club than Burnley. They wouldn't have to get their football annuals out to check how many years were spent in what division to work that out.

Burnley with their 30 years in the top division do not have a bigger fanbase or much of a bigger ground than Plymouth Argyle, who have spent half of the last 25 years in the fourth tier.

The clubs are virtually indistinguishable despite one having every chance to succeed and grow, and the other having little luck and not a lot else to shout about than some sporadic success at lower league level.

Ok Knibbs. Fair enough, it’s all down to luck. Of these two virtually indistinguishable clubs, one is in one of the poorest areas of the north west, surrounded by massive clubs and yet has an accepted niche as part of football's top flight. About a quarter of their population regularly go and watch their team. This compares to Argyle who have never had such 'luck', despite having a huge catchment area and no other decent football clubs within 100 miles.

In Simon Hallett, I hope we have an owner who can deliver top flight football to Argyle supporters. So far he has done a great job. However, if he does achieve his aims, it won’t be down to luck. Bear in mind though, that there are plenty of supporters who say we shouldn’t even aim for the championship. :facepalm:

Argyologist

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 4, 2012
Steamer":30ub9r88 said:
I think you would be quite delusional to compare Argyle to Burnley. They may be a small town somewhere near Manchester, they may be a small town where you wouldn't dream of passing through, let alone holiday there but their footballing pedigree outshines ours by a huge margin. Sad as it may be that a little town that probably no one knows or cares about is a footballing giant compared to us. However we probably hope and dream more than they do and of course, there are plenty of Prem cast-offs whose wives and children are settled in the Burnley area to call upon. Until Plymouth becomes the Barcelona of Britain (that's city not football team) we are always going to find it difficult to consistently attract high quality players and their families and we will consistently under achieve.

You are totally and completely misunderstanding the point about size..

All the things you are referencing are external factors that are uncontrollable by any "walking down the street" Argyle fan.

These have nothing to do with size of club.

Again with risk of repeating Burnley may well be a slightly bigger club than Argyle, but put us both in FA Cup Semi Final next year and our the ticket demand would be V.V Similar.

Look at Wimbledon at Wembley two years ago - forget the result - who's the bigger club? Wimbledon are FA Cup winners - does that make them bigger than us?

Not in my opinion.