Biggest clubs in League 1 next season? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Biggest clubs in League 1 next season?

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
I am beginning to see the light now. We are ARE a BIG club. Yes we are a BIG club in Devon and we are a BIG club in League 2. We are a medium to biggish club in League 1, a smallish club in the Championship and a nondescript small club in the Prem and the rest of the country.
We wear green which means that everyone likes us, like they like a squirrel or some other furry animal. We are the Jamaican bob-sleigh team equivalent. Plucky under-achievers, mostly harmless. We are the team wearing pajamas. We hope eternally n maybe ... just maybe we will, one day, enter the magic Kingdom. We all live in hope and then we can stare that lot up the road in the face and tell them ... "told you so".

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
xmastree":27deqp4e said:
Argyologist":27deqp4e said:
I can see you’re a glass half empty sort of bloke.

Your measure for stature and size are clearly different to mine.

Taking 35k to Wembley
Taking 2 k away on a Tuesday night up north
Pulling 16-18k At home in League One and in Two
Having close to 10K at Home when we are in the bottom six of the Football League.
Playing competitive Football in the Championship

These are my metrics.

When did we last take 2k away on a Tuesday night? Sure it's happened, but how often in the last say 15 years?

When did we last have 17K at home in L1/L2? Again, how often?

Much prefer nearly 10K when we're doing badly as a persuasive stat, to 35K at Wembley. The latter just shows we have got a huge number of fairweather "plastics".
Other than the play off games our biggest crowds in L2 have regularly been 13k+ against....................yep, Exeter. :)

Argyologist

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 4, 2012
xmastree":1z7san6t said:
Argyologist":1z7san6t said:

Taking 35k to Wembley
Having close to 10K at Home when we are in the bottom six of the Football League.

These are my metrics.

When did we last take 2k away on a Tuesday night? Sure it's happened, but how often in the last say 15 years?

Much prefer nearly 10K when we're doing badly as a persuasive stat, to 35K at Wembley. The latter just shows we have got a huge number of fairweather "plastics".

OK so maybe 1,200 rather than 2k (Salford a few months back) but the point is very few clubs from the Championship down are doing over 2-300 on a Tuesday night that far away.

New Years Day v Swindon? Very few clubs are pulling that in League Two?

But we still took 35k ?! Do you honestly think that the Premier League clubs are pulling 35k die hards every week or is there a fair mix of so called plastics mixed in as well?!

Argyologist

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 4, 2012
simon1argyle":amlfxqd8 said:
Yes, we are a bigger club compared to other L1/L2 clubs, but are we a "big" club (whatever that means)?
No, not really. A few years in the last few decades in the 2nd tier. Only one notable Cup run out of the 3 Cup comps we would be in.
Yes, we have a good sized fan base for the size of our club, but we have the advantage of having not many clubs in the catchment area but in my opinion, we are about half way up the L1 "we are a big club" league table.
Also, if we finish 20th, we are the 20th biggest club at that time because ultimately, all that matters is the final table

So by this rationale Sunderland are actually Mid-Table, League one club.

Not the fact that they are a significantly bigger club that through poor management fallen to that level?

By your rationale, Reading, Luton, Preston, Brentford etc etc are all bigger clubs than Sunderland?

Dec 8, 2019
Argyologist":3o0fc2x8 said:
xmastree":3o0fc2x8 said:
Argyologist":3o0fc2x8 said:

Taking 35k to Wembley

These are my metrics.

OK so maybe 1,200 rather than 2k (Salford a few months back) but the point is very few clubs from the Championship down are doing over 2-300 on a Tuesday night that far away.

But we still took 35k ?! Do you honestly think that the Premier League clubs are pulling 35k die hards every week or is there a fair mix of so called plastics mixed in as well?!

And also what defines a plastic? The Wembley season, I only managed one regular season game but went to Wembley but only because I happened to be in Kettering that weekend and I could get across so does that make me one?
Take the tourists away from the big 6 Prem clubs and maybe the attendances will be 15/20% lower

Argyologist

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 4, 2012
Keepitgreen":3r2pe7ps said:
xmastree":3r2pe7ps said:
Argyologist":3r2pe7ps said:

Taking 35k to Wembley

These are my metrics.

Other than the play off games our biggest crowds in L2 have regularly been 13k+ against....................yep, Exeter. :)

I'm obviously not saying we are pulling those number every week - but the point is we have and we will again. That's the difference between us and 90% of League One and Two.

Its also hardly surprising that the biggest crowds will come out for the local and divisional rivals - this year Swindon and Exeter...

Dec 8, 2019
Argyologist":1uiqcvu6 said:
simon1argyle":1uiqcvu6 said:
Yes, we are a bigger club compared to other L1/L2 clubs, but are we a "big" club (whatever that means)?
No, not really. A few years in the last few decades in the 2nd tier. Only one notable Cup run out of the 3 Cup comps we would be in.
Yes, we have a good sized fan base for the size of our club, but we have the advantage of having not many clubs in the catchment area but in my opinion, we are about half way up the L1 "we are a big club" league table.
Also, if we finish 20th, we are the 20th biggest club at that time because ultimately, all that matters is the final table

So by this rationale Sunderland are actually Mid-Table, League one club.

Not the fact that they are a significantly bigger club that through poor management fallen to that level?

By your rationale, Reading, Luton, Preston, Brentford etc etc are all bigger clubs than Sunderland?

Only my opinion, but you are only as relevant as your last result.
If we get relegated this next season, we can't exactly call ourselves a big club can we because there is no way to define "big" objectively because everyone has a different opinion

Argyologist

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 4, 2012
simon1argyle":3nqngazn said:
Argyologist":3nqngazn said:
xmastree":3nqngazn said:
Argyologist":3nqngazn said:

Taking 35k to Wembley

These are my metrics.

And also what defines a plastic? The Wembley season, I only managed one regular season game but went to Wembley but only because I happened to be in Kettering that weekend and I could get across so does that make me one?
Take the tourists away from the big 6 Prem clubs and maybe the attendances will be 15/20% lower

Agreed we have made the same point :thumbup:

Apr 1, 2009
If you don't know the songs, don't recognise any players, and only consider watching Argyle in Play=off finals and glamour cup ties you are, IMHO, a plastic. I appreciate (and don't include in such plasticity) the many who due to a range of circumstances (distance, health, finance etc) don't watch Argyle as often as they would like.

The more important point was that those who turn up regularly through thick and thin contribute greatly to the club's size and strength.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Sunderland, Portsmouth, Barnsley, potentially Boro and potentially Stoke are all bigger clubs than Argyle. You could make a strong case that (potentially) Luton, Hull and Oxford are too.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Fergy":3cs7y9s7 said:
Sunderland, Portsmouth, Barnsley, potentially Boro and potentially Stoke are all bigger clubs than Argyle. You could make a strong case that (potentially) Luton, Hull and Oxford are too.

Hull yes definitely, the other two definitely not

Argyologist

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 4, 2012
Fergy":1qgylia6 said:

Great point.

Portsmouth (unfortunately), Barnsley, Middlesboro and Stoke are all bigger than Argyle.

Luton, Hull and Oxford aren't..

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
So, which club, in terms of ownership and management, would you feel most comfortable and confident with, currently?
I’ll settle for PAFC.

Jan 12, 2011
Exiled in Cornwall
Probably very controversial but, instead of dismissing them, would size be better measured by the the number of "plastics" you attract to the "big" games (live and televised). This is then indicative of the "reach" of the club. The bigger the reach and in turn the number of plastics, shows how attractive a club is,this could be thought of as size.

Just a thought.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
A lot of willy waving going on here about being a big club. Of course Argyle should get decent crowds. Big city, huge catchment area. No decent other clubs within 130 miles. It would be surprising if they didn’t get good crowds. Taking Burnley as an example. Much smaller town with a third of the population. Surrounded by other bigger clubs. Have always had strong support. Have generally been in and around the top flight. Big club. Anybody comparing Argyle to Burnley is simply deluded.