Biggest clubs in League 1 next season? | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Biggest clubs in League 1 next season?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
ping_g5":ku9rap0q said:
The 'bigger club' debate is one that's puzzled me for a while. It generally seems to be a way of a club who aren't being as successful as they have been getting into a bit of oneupsmanship with another currently more successful club. Liverpool fans were quite good at this in the era when Chelsea were winning leagues and cups regularly. They'd always bring up their previous glories as evidence that they were a bigger club and therefore a more attractive destination for potential signings than Chelsea, despite the latter's success and seemingly bottomless pit of cash.

I'd much rather be better club than a bigger club. So in an attempt to maybe put an end to the Sheffield debate, it doesn't matter diddly which is the 'bigger' club... Utd are clearly, at this time, the better club. But who knows...3/4 years down the line, could be Wednesday?

Thereā€™s no doubt that (grits teeth) the Blunts are the more successful club at the moment Ping. The thing is, itā€™s usually temporary as our 26 seasons (inc 8 in the PL) of top flight football since 1960, compared to their 16 (only 2 in the PL) goes to prove. Itā€™s also undisputed that their academy is currently better too, something that perhaps Argyle have had to put up with from their neighbours too.

Not much doubt who is the biggest club in Sheffield, even if we do go down to L1 this summer.

Iā€™m sure when those streaky little upstarts from Sid James relegated Argyle back in the day, there werenā€™t many Argyle supporters agreeing that the Greeks were the bigger club. :scarf:

Aug 5, 2016
Devongreenowl":1520v7w6 said:
Stick to Argyle mate. You know more about them. I understand though as you lost the argument re Burnley. The team who have never had an average season attendance below 9,000 (Only once under 10k) in the last 25 years or so, whereas Argyle have had four seasons in that time in the 5000's and one under 5000, plus one in the 6,000's, and lots of 7's and 8,s. Check it out for yourself Mr Ologist.

It is a little arrogant to proclaim yourself "winning" an argument when no-one appears to be agreeing with you?

If Argyle had the same exposure to the top flight this wouldn't even be a conversation.

I don't really understand your percentage of tiny town compared to the attendances being a factor. Presumably you think Fleetwood and Forest Green Rovers are big lower league clubs because they come from oversized villages and have similar attendances to Cheltenham, Newport and Colchester? Why does that make them big? Why does Burnley being from a smaller place relative to their division them big?

I can only reiterate the point that if Argyle do make the Premier League and stay up, the sense of pride and identity in the club would explode. We wouldn't need 30 years of the top flight to get crowds barely over 20,000, we'd get it in the first year.

If Argyle and Burnley were in the Championship in 10 years time, finances not being a factor, I don't see an Argyle manager wanting to leave us for them. Now if Burnley were a bigger club than Argyle, such as Norwich or West Brom, I probably would be able to picture it.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Knibbsworth":1edv3eqq said:
Devongreenowl":1edv3eqq said:
Stick to Argyle mate. You know more about them. I understand though as you lost the argument re Burnley. The team who have never had an average season attendance below 9,000 (Only once under 10k) in the last 25 years or so, whereas Argyle have had four seasons in that time in the 5000's and one under 5000, plus one in the 6,000's, and lots of 7's and 8,s. Check it out for yourself Mr Ologist.

It is a little arrogant to proclaim yourself "winning" an argument when no-one appears to be agreeing with you?

If Argyle had the same exposure to the top flight this wouldn't even be a conversation.

I don't really understand your percentage of tiny town compared to the attendances being a factor. Presumably you think Fleetwood and Forest Green Rovers are big lower league clubs because they come from oversized villages and have similar attendances to Cheltenham, Newport and Colchester? Why does that make them big? Why does Burnley being from a smaller place relative to their division them big?

I can only reiterate the point that if Argyle do make the Premier League and stay up, the sense of pride and identity in the club would explode. We wouldn't need 30 years of the top flight to get crowds barely over 20,000, we'd get it in the first year.

If Argyle and Burnley were in the Championship in 10 years time, finances not being a factor, I don't see an Argyle manager wanting to leave us for them. Now if Burnley were a bigger club than Argyle, such as Norwich or West Brom, I probably would be able to picture it.

Well thereā€™s a surprise. More IF's from Knibbs.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Pleased that Pompey are still in L1 for two reasons. I donā€™t like 'em and itā€™s a big game at HP which for me, easily replaces the game against the Greeks. Jackett could be the next manager to go though.

Argyologist

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Feb 4, 2012
WoodsyGreen":16f5mlg8 said:
Argyologist":16f5mlg8 said:
Devongreenowl":16f5mlg8 said:

I directly answered your question - Monaco are tin pot.

They might be Champions League but it doesnā€™t mean they are a big club?

Not sure whether thatā€™s tough for you to understand or whether you lost an argument three days ago?

I will speak about any club i like "MATE"

You won't answer the Wednesday/United question because you'll have to admit that on field performance or results don't automatically equal size of club.

The Argyle numbers you are quoting are from us playing almost exclusively in the bottom two divs well below where Burnley have been over the same period.

Since inception, Argyle have averaged around 2k less than Burnley through Home Park to Turf Moor. Which makes us slightly smaller than them. Hardly "delusional" to say we are not similar in size.

Try and reply without making yourself sound like a total condescending pr!ck.

Got a tenner here says you can't.

Like you wouldn't answer my Monaco/Strasbourg question because it didn't suit your argument?

There's only been one condescending pr*ck on this thread and it isn't Owl.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Shaping up nicely for some really decent games at HP next season, with (hopefully) good crowds at some point. Sunderland, Ipswich, Pompey, Rovers, Swindon. Canā€™t wait.

Jan 5, 2019
So pompy is another after last night, cheers for all the replies guys bar a few arguments it all went pretty well.

Certain opinions in my eyes from that are Sheffield Wednesday is bigger then United, my belief is that cause Wednesday have more league titles domestic trophies & bigger ground, but in Sheffield it is close compared to cities of similar size like Bristol where City are far bigger & Rovers live in their shadows no offense to the Rovers fans across the globe.

As for the Burnley one has to be said only my opinion, but Burnley are a lot bigger a lot of time in the top flight & a league title, there are some small towns in football hotspots who argyle are bigger than such as Barnsley who compared to Burnley have only 1 season in the top flight under their belt & Luton Oxford Reading Oldham are some more but Burnley Watford & West Bromwich's of this world argyle will have to come second best imo.

Lastly I believe both Plymouth Exeter & Torquay have all struggled in our respective positions, it all symbolizes the South West struggle & Devon's footballing Deprive, cause we've never been 1st tier Pilgrims & they've never been 2nd tier Grecians or Seagulls, whilst we've sat back & watched Swindon & Bournemouth again top flight hiatus & they've watched Yeovil get 2nd tier football, it's all painful but true :sad:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
BcbC2312":6ed7p79l said:
So pompy is another after last night, cheers for all the replies guys bar a few arguments it all went pretty well.

Certain opinions in my eyes from that are Sheffield Wednesday is bigger then United, my belief is that cause Wednesday have more league titles domestic trophies & bigger ground, but in Sheffield it is close compared to cities of similar size like Bristol where City are far bigger & Rovers live in their shadows no offense to the Rovers fans across the globe.

As for the Burnley one has to be said only my opinion, but Burnley are a lot bigger a lot of time in the top flight & a league title, there are some small towns in football hotspots who argyle are bigger than such as Barnsley who compared to Burnley have only 1 season in the top flight under their belt & Luton Oxford Reading Oldham are some more but Burnley Watford & West Bromwich's of this world argyle will have to come second best imo.

Lastly I believe both Plymouth Exeter & Torquay have all struggled in our respective positions, it all symbolizes the South West struggle & Devon's footballing Deprive, cause we've never been 1st tier Pilgrims & they've never been 2nd tier Grecians or Seagulls, whilst we've sat back & watched Swindon & Bournemouth again top flight hiatus & they've watched Yeovil get 2nd tier football, it's all painful but true :sad:
:thumbs: :

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
BcbC2312":20pd66x5 said:

Point of order, TUFC = Gulls. :thumbup:

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
This ranking takes into account the historical League performances over the years (filtered to just include those who will or might be in League One next season). No egos, no fanbase size, no stadiums, no finances, just straight forward what has happened on pitches.

The figures represent the average finishing position of each club. i.e. Argyle's average finishing position since joining the FL is between 49th & 50th.

For the teams that are still playing in the Championship, the figures do not include 2019-20 season. It also looks as though Wimbledon FC and AFC Wimbledon have been amalgamated as one.

1 Sunderland (16.345)
2 Middlesbrough (20.881)
3 Stoke City (22.741)
4 Birmingham City (22.897)
5 Ipswich Town (26.987)
6 Portsmouth (32.376)
7 Charlton Athletic (32.440)
8 Huddersfield Town (33.276)
9 Blackpool (36.241)
10 AFC Wimbledon (41.111)
11 Luton Town (41.494)
12 Hull City (42.592)