Biggest clubs in League 1 next season? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Biggest clubs in League 1 next season?

Jan 5, 2019
xmastree":3bkmaeay said:
Please define what you mean by "biggest". Thread is utterly irrelevant without such a definition.

My fault there as by what makes a big team I mean they're stadium, stature, following, location size e.g. but not squad strength & history.

Basically all of what the user "tugboat" said in my the earlier post bar squad strength & history.

Jan 5, 2019
Herts_Green":320xgmms said:
Devongreenowl":320xgmms said:
BcbC2312":320xgmms said:
What's your opinion on who the big sides are in L1 next year?

Myself I think Sunderland Ipswich Blackpool & us, confirmed

Portsmouth, if they don't go up

Anyone other than Reading Huddersfield Barnsley & Luton in that quite vast relegation scrap in the championship, should 3 of them 4 not get relegated.

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that Argyle are a bigger club than Huddersfield, Barnsley and Reading?.
Argyle are absolutely a bigger club than Reading irrespective of average league positions over the last 10 years.

I agree with you :thumbup: only thing the royals better us on is stadium size & history other then that I believe following is better location is bigger & so on.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Herts_Green":3lcxh8r4 said:
Devongreenowl":3lcxh8r4 said:
BcbC2312":3lcxh8r4 said:
What's your opinion on who the big sides are in L1 next year?

Myself I think Sunderland Ipswich Blackpool & us, confirmed

Portsmouth, if they don't go up

Anyone other than Reading Huddersfield Barnsley & Luton in that quite vast relegation scrap in the championship, should 3 of them 4 not get relegated.

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that Argyle are a bigger club than Huddersfield, Barnsley and Reading?.
Argyle are absolutely a bigger club than Reading irrespective of average league positions over the last 10 years.

Based on what Herts? Reading is only a marginally smaller population than Plymouth. They have a bigger stadium, richer owners, vastly superior playing budget and have spent eighteen of the last twenty years either in the Championship or the Premier league (three seasons). All three of those clubs I queried are bigger clubs than Argyle. Even Barnsley! Na then.

Jul 14, 2008
On that basis you could say that Wigan are a bigger club than Argyle too and thatā€™s just laughable. For me itā€™s about historic performance and stature over a long period of time not just whats happened in recent years. This website has an all time league ranking: http://alltimeleaguetable.co.uk/

We are marginally above Reading on this basis but thatā€™s only because of the last 10 years really.
Anyway, as Cobi says size of club is largely irrelevant now.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Herts_Green":3807zwmm said:
On that basis you could say that Wigan are a bigger club than Argyle too and thatā€™s just laughable. For me itā€™s about historic performance and stature over a long period of time not just whats happened in recent years. This website has an all time league ranking: http://alltimeleaguetable.co.uk/

We are marginally above Reading on this basis but thatā€™s only because of the last 10 years really.

Interesting table, but I would suggest if you asked a random 100 football supporters, none of whom were Argyle or Reading fans, the majority would say Reading were the bigger club. When Argyle have troubled the Premier League a time or two, we can say different imo. But thatā€™s all it is.

Is club size irrelevant? Of course not. Fans will argue about the relative size of clubs as long as the game is played. Itā€™s why itā€™s the most passionate of all sports.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Devongreenowl":2adi8inw said:
Herts_Green":2adi8inw said:

Interesting table, but I would suggest if you asked a random 100 football supporters, none of whom were Argyle or Reading fans, the majority would say Reading were the bigger club. When Argyle have troubled the Premier League a time or two, we can say different imo. But thatā€™s all it is.

Is club size irrelevant? Of course not. Fans will argue about the relative size of clubs as long as the game is played. Itā€™s why itā€™s the most passionate of all sports.

Ps and as you mention Wigan as 'laughable' it would be worth pointing out that they came 49th in the 90minutes.com survey of the 50 biggest clubs in Britain. https://www.90min.com/posts/6500129-the ... ain-ranked

Princerock

ā™£ļø PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Population can be misleading....Bromley Town in the Conference (or whatever it's called at the moment) is a London Borough with a population of 340,000.....a lot bigger than Plymouth.....now Forest Green Rovers is basically a small village ?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Princerock":1xuxmca4 said:
Population can be misleading....Bromley Town in the Conference (or whatever it's called at the moment) is a London Borough with a population of 340,000.....a lot bigger than Plymouth.....now Forest Green Rovers is basically a small village ?

MASSIVE club that Bromley Town :funny:

justanotherfan

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
It`s like comparing apples with oranges.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Princerock":2z4aqr6c said:

Forest Green Rovers is a Stroud football club based in Nailsworth.
Stroud + Nailsworth combined have a similar population to Accrington and Morecambe (about 40k).

Lots of non league football based in London Boroughs and, when you think about it, very few League or Prem London clubs that have any relationship to the London Borough their ground happens to be in. You don't normally say that Chelsea are from Kensington and Chelsea or that Tottenham & Arsenal are Haringey clubs, do you? :think:

Barnet, Dagenham & Redbridge & Enfield are all non league (now). Any others? (brain dead again!! :facepalm: )

Dreamgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
If we get to the Premier League we could be as big as Newcastle ...

Any club, Pompous, Barnsley, Reading or anyone else that gets into the Prem will improve their gates substantially for a number of years.

Many clubs, Bournemouth, Wigan and Reading are much "smaller" clubs than Argyle historically.

Feb 15, 2005
Dreamgreen":2eq0p9qt said:
If we get to the Premier League we could be as big as Newcastle ...

Any club, Pompous, Barnsley, Reading or anyone else that gets into the Prem will improve their gates substantially for a number of years.

Many clubs, Bournemouth, Wigan and Reading are much "smaller" clubs than Argyle historically.

Not a chance we will ever be as big as Newcastle whatever big means.

Argyologist

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Feb 4, 2012
Spent many hours and arguing amongst mostly non Argyle supporting mates as Argyle size in comparison to others in the Football League.

Here is the closest 1 -92 as you will ever get in order of "big" to small. Its the cumulative average Home Attendance of all time.

https://imgur.com/J65onRv

Point, is that I cant disagree with any club above us (Brighton) possible exception on this list and I would argue hard on any club beneath us being "bigger".

For me that's the pecking order right there...