Biggest clubs in League 1 next season? | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Biggest clubs in League 1 next season?

Argyologist

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 4, 2012
:clap:
Knibbsworth":32m6sjwj said:
Devongreenowl":32m6sjwj said:
Knibbsworth":32m6sjwj said:
Argyologist":32m6sjwj said:

Its quite straightforward to follow.

You were quite clear when you said that anybody who thinks Argyle could be compared to Burnley is delusional.

What do you think Simon Hallett would say to that?

I’ve no idea what he would say, but if I were him I would say, 'Burnley are a club who have spent almost half of the last seventy years in the top flight of English football, compared to zero for Argyle. They are also a club who regularly attract crowds of about a quarter of their towns population. Big club. I hope Argyle can do that one day.'
:scarf:

If Argyle had the time in the Premier League that Bournemouth or Burnley have had, we would afford sustainable ground expansion, have higher average attendances than either and generate a larger supporter base that would follow us back into the lower leagues. Brighton have done exactly the same with their time in the top flight.

Argyle's potential as a club is bigger than Burnley who have maxed their potential as a club to the limit. What Argyle is missing is the success and the tradition. But is that of any relevance when we are playing Blackpool or Barnsley and the likes who have won top divisions and FA Cups, but ultimately bring far less to our ground than we take to theirs?

Ah Knibbsworth. The magical word 'IF'.

Bournemouth - agreed.

Burnley - ask me again when Argyle have spent 30 odd years in the top flight, or even one.

If Argyle's potential is as great as we all like to think it is, why hasn’t it been achieved by now? Some clubs just have it in their DNA.

But your gauge of a big club seems to be dominated by time spent in the top flight.

Most people wold say that Newcastle are a far bigger club than Burnley. They wouldn't have to get their football annuals out to check how many years were spent in what division to work that out.

Burnley with their 30 years in the top division do not have a bigger fanbase or much of a bigger ground than Plymouth Argyle, who have spent half of the last 25 years in the fourth tier.

The clubs are virtually indistinguishable despite one having every chance to succeed and grow, and the other having little luck and not a lot else to shout about than some sporadic success at lower league level.

:clap:

Argyologist

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 4, 2012
Devongreenowl":vwm09mtd said:
Argyologist":vwm09mtd said:
Who’s bigger Sheffield Weds or Utd?

:funny: :funny: :funny:

Easy isnt it.

Comfortably, Sheffield Wednesday.

Sheffield Weds who have been out the top flight for 20 years, never won anything for 30 years, and being as low down as bottom half of League one and currently sit in mid-table in the Championship.

Versus United one of the best organised teams in the Prem, flying high, making expensive signings, pushing for Europe etc.

Yet Wednesday are the bigger club.

Agree?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Stick to Argyle mate. You know more about them. I understand though as you lost the argument re Burnley. The team who have never had an average season attendance below 9,000 (Only once under 10k) in the last 25 years or so, whereas Argyle have had four seasons in that time in the 5000's and one under 5000, plus one in the 6,000's, and lots of 7's and 8,s. Check it out for yourself Mr Ologist.

Argyologist

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 4, 2012
Devongreenowl":mgfsufgg said:
Stick to Argyle mate. You know more about them. I understand though as you lost the argument re Burnley. The team who have never had an average season attendance below 9,000 (Only once under 10k) in the last 25 years or so, whereas Argyle have had four seasons in that time in the 5000's and one under 5000, plus one in the 6,000's, and lots of 7's and 8,s. Check it out for yourself Mr Ologist.

I will speak about any club i like "MATE"

You won't answer the Wednesday/United question because you'll have to admit that on field performance or results don't automatically equal size of club.

The Argyle numbers you are quoting are from us playing almost exclusively in the bottom two divs well below where Burnley have been over the same period.

Since inception, Argyle have averaged around 2k less than Burnley through Home Park to Turf Moor. Which makes us slightly smaller than them. Hardly "delusional" to say we are not similar in size.

Try and reply without making yourself sound like a total condescending (insult removed. Admin).

Got a tenner here says you can't.

Jun 27, 2019
Argyologist":1w8gi8bp said:
Devongreenowl":1w8gi8bp said:

I will speak about any club i like "MATE"

You won't answer the Wednesday/United question because you'll have to admit that on field performance or results don't automatically equal size of club.

The Argyle numbers you are quoting are from us playing almost exclusively in the bottom two divs well below where Burnley have been over the same period.

Since inception, Argyle have averaged around 2k less than Burnley through Home Park to Turf Moor. Which makes us slightly smaller than them. Hardly "delusional" to say we are not similar in size.

Try and reply without making yourself sound like a total condescending pr!ck.

Got a tenner here says you can't.

Like you wouldn't answer my Monaco/Strasbourg question because it didn't suit your argument?

There's only been one condescending xxxx on this thread and it isn't Owl.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Guys,

Can we ALL leave out the "isn't he stupid cos he doesn't agree with me" type comments and the cross referencing of previous arguments. All it does is raise the antagonisms and lead to temper escalations when it's simply not necessary.

Put your views as vehemently as you like but there is no need to flame or deride the views of others whilst you do.

Play nicely

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Devongreenowl":3evzfjxj said:
Jog on pal.
Throughout their time in L2 (old one) In the mid and late 90's Burnley never got below an average of 9084. Their average in 93/4 when they were promoted, was about 11,500 to Argyles 9,500.
Here are the figures
93/4 L2 Burnley 11317 Argyle L2 9357
95/6 L2 Burnley 9084 Argyle L2 7440
96/7 L2 Burnley 10053 Argyle L2 6494
97/8 L2 Burnley 10481 Argyle L2 5322
98/9 L2 Burnley 10604 Argyle L3 5322 May be inaccurate as same figure shown two years running.
99/00 L2 Burnley 13937 Argyle L3 5371
2000/1 L1 Burnley 16234 Argyle L3 4944

The only time Argyles average home Gate has Significantly exceeded Burnley’s was the first season in the championship when Argyle averaged a one-off 16419. This dropped down to the 13's for the subsequent three seasons and was down to 10316 when relegated.

Years ago, I think it was Robert Daniels who referred to Argyle's faithful 5000. Burnley have a faithful 10000 (more now obviously with PL)

I’m not interested in your Wednesday bating as you know even less about Sheffield football history than Argyle's.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Mark Pedlar":1gvlg8sk said:
Guys,

Can we ALL leave out the "isn't he stupid cos he doesn't agree with me" type comments and the cross referencing of previous arguments. All it does is raise the antagonisms and lead to temper escalations when it's simply not necessary.

Put your views as vehemently as you like but there is no need to flame or deride the views of others whilst you do.

Play nicely

Totally agree MP. There’s no need to call anybody a pr1ck either, especially when I have had a post withdrawn for calling someone an idiot in the past. The post above is my last comment on this subject, regardless of what nonsense he comes back with.

Thanks for the supportive comment Woodsy.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
The 'bigger club' debate is one that's puzzled me for a while. It generally seems to be a way of a club who aren't being as successful as they have been getting into a bit of oneupsmanship with another currently more successful club. Liverpool fans were quite good at this in the era when Chelsea were winning leagues and cups regularly. They'd always bring up their previous glories as evidence that they were a bigger club and therefore a more attractive destination for potential signings than Chelsea, despite the latter's success and seemingly bottomless pit of cash.

I'd much rather be better club than a bigger club. So in an attempt to maybe put an end to the Sheffield debate, it doesn't matter diddly which is the 'bigger' club... Utd are clearly, at this time, the better club. But who knows...3/4 years down the line, could be Wednesday?