Argyle Info' Board (Merged many many times). | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle Info' Board (Merged many many times).

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
PlymOdi":txhg96vz said:
Old Gunner":txhg96vz said:
Is it just Argyle fans who are anti technology--or all football fans? Surely a screen in the ground would be a positive? I am perplexed :)

Some don't like change. Only have to see some of the narrowminded views about anything modern to see.

Change isn't the issue. Having worked in IT for over 25 years I'm as techie and geeky as they come, but I recognise that some people (and certainly true when it comes to work) want the latest gadget just for the sake of it. You have to ask yourself if there is a need for a giant screen: the answer is no. There isn't. Maybe when we're established in the Championship and we have more revenue coming in then we can ask the question again, but right now we should be spending money wisely, not squandering it on a bit of techie eye-candy.

Dec 3, 2005
Quinny":1stez0d4 said:
PlymOdi":1stez0d4 said:
Old Gunner":1stez0d4 said:
Is it just Argyle fans who are anti technology--or all football fans? Surely a screen in the ground would be a positive? I am perplexed :)

Some don't like change. Only have to see some of the narrowminded views about anything modern to see.

Change isn't the issue. Having worked in IT for over 25 years I'm as techie and geeky as they come, but I recognise that some people (and certainly true when it comes to work) want the latest gadget just for the sake of it. You have to ask yourself if there is a need for a giant screen: the answer is no. There isn't. Maybe when we're established in the Championship and we have more revenue coming in then we can ask the question again, but right now we should be spending money wisely, not squandering it on a bit of techie eye-candy.

If you want a screen inside or not at the moment - with the future of football seemingly heading towards using VAR, having one or two screens inside the ground, may become a must have. So it maybe prudent to make space for them in the plans of the ground improvement NOW. Even if we dont install them now. If this technology becomes a requirement of the FL because of VAR, at least we will have the space to install them, rather then lose seats.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Nothing to do with being 'anti-technology', it's just what's the point? Football is sanitised enough with less and less contact allowed, goal music, seating, the onset of the completely unnecessary (imo) VAR, etc., etc. What do you need a screen for exactly? I know what the score is and I can more or less imagine how long two periods of 45 minutes are (I have a watch/phone if I can't). Like a previous poster said, it is just gadgets for gadgets sake.

Nov 16, 2008
Hampshire
djg145":2aaelehp said:
Willis88":2aaelehp said:
The screen in Rotherham was a massive waste, full of tacky adverts and graphics. I'd much rather not have it and spend the money somewhere more sensible (training facilities, players, fan facilities).

Replays ruin the celebrations when the players are in front of the fans who are all staring at the board.

I don't think a scoreboard adds anything to the club, the outside board is a nice touch and may help draw in some passer-bys.

Goal music RUINS the celebrations!

Couldn't agree more.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Lousy_Pint":ynh7q9nz said:
Nothing to do with being 'anti-technology', it's just what's the point? Football is sanitised enough with less and less contact allowed, goal music, seating, the onset of the completely unnecessary (imo) VAR, etc., etc. What do you need a screen for exactly? I know what the score is and I can more or less imagine how long two periods of 45 minutes are (I have a watch/phone if I can't). Like a previous poster said, it is just gadgets for gadgets sake.

No to goal music. No to VAR. Yes to a big screen as long as it isn’t used for kiss cams and the like... :thumbdown:

It just looks good, gives a more modern feel to the ground and conveniently cover any gaps in the grandstand refurbishment. Either in the corners or in that gap underneath the roof extension.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Biggs":1egjxqf7 said:
Lousy_Pint":1egjxqf7 said:

No to goal music. No to VAR. Yes to a big screen as long as it isn’t used for kiss cams and the like... :thumbdown:

It just looks good, gives a more modern feel to the ground and conveniently cover any gaps in the grandstand refurbishment. Either in the corners or in that gap underneath the roof extension.[/quote

Couldn't agree more. Sometimes this city seems so parochial and backward looking. A big screen will really compliment the stadium post-refurb and, more importantly, provide an extra income stream to the club thru' advertising, surely?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Adam_R":3alo1s6n said:
Team name and numbers, bookings etc are quite useful to know. Not tacky - good when reading out the teams sheet as well to have player pictures shown.

Also those half time interviews of former players. The crowd could benefit by actually being able to see them via the screen

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Adam_R":3gspcz7b said:
Agreed Lundan. Although not sure if you'll be able to see the screen from the away end next season!

You mean there won’t be two? ;)

Walking to an away game will be a relegation bonus. Don’t let me down if we keep our side of the bargain. :greensmile:

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Lundan Cabbie":1sbbwib3 said:
Adam_R":1sbbwib3 said:
Agreed Lundan. Although not sure if you'll be able to see the screen from the away end next season!

You mean there won’t be two? ;)

Walking to an away game will be a relegation bonus. Don’t let me down if we keep our side of the bargain. :greensmile:

May be two, but only one will work!

John Cooper

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Nothing seen when I walked past demport this morning