Any news on incoming | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Any news on incoming

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Fair point, but I think it's safe to say the decision (if there was one) to keep Adams after 12 games was 'right' considering the run we've been on.

Nov 2, 2004
Not sure how you can blame Adams re transfers.It is quite clear that he identified the right targets Doyle etc.They didnt come opting for better deals elsewhere,he was forced to sign the leftovers.Given our financial restrictions,I think he is doing a remarkable job.Compare him with the guy at Fleetwood,he appears to have the financial clout which allows him to compete for any sensible target and has a stockpile of strikers yet they are hardly doing any better than us.Just my opinion but if Adams had Fleetwoods finances we would be challenging near the top.

Dec 3, 2005
I have never understood WHY players are signed that do not fit into how the Manager wants to play - what is the point?

Why sign a player then either try and play him in a different position or in a style of play that is alien to him - it does the club no good and definately is no good to the player.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
ealinggreen":1dv5y14l said:
Not sure how you can blame Adams re transfers.It is quite clear that he identified the right targets Doyle etc.They didnt come opting for better deals elsewhere,he was forced to sign the leftovers.Given our financial restrictions,I think he is doing a remarkable job.Compare him with the guy at Fleetwood,he appears to have the financial clout which allows him to compete for any sensible target and has a stockpile of strikers yet they are hardly doing any better than us.Just my opinion but if Adams had Fleetwoods finances we would be challenging near the top.

The counter to that of course is if the money given to Adams had been given to someone else we could have been in the guaranteed promotion places.

If my aunt had balls.....

Apr 30, 2017
Penmaster":qloecuwp said:
Heard a rumour yesterday so vague it's barely worth repeating but apparently a midfield replacement for Toums is lined up and apparently 'it's not someone you would have thought would sign for us'. The inference was it was a relatively big name for us. The source was a bloke at work who allegedly spoke to someone linked to the club in some capacity. I don't know any more than that but surely the 3 players who have left plus likely departure of Blissett means there is space in the squad and some form of budget available.
Jason Lowe? That's a rumour I have heard. Fits your description.

Feb 8, 2005
Mark Pedlar":iwefz2go said:
ealinggreen":iwefz2go said:

The counter to that of course is if the money given to Adams had been given to someone else we could have been in the guaranteed promotion places.

If my aunt had balls.....

The counter to that is, of course, if the money given to Adams had been given to someone else we could have been in the guaranteed relegation places.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Transfer window changes don't help they force manager to panic if targets don't arrive with no prospect of bringing a loan in later
Personally I believe league 2 and 3 clubs should be treated differently then the top tier clubs and not have a window other than the old deadline day
The reason is many need the option to sell a player just to survive rather than end up folding as Argyle nearly did
Its a restraint in trade as a football club it only has two times a year whereby money can be raised imagine if car sales were only allowed in two months a year !

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
djg145":l6lyvfis said:
I have never understood WHY players are signed that do not fit into how the Manager wants to play - what is the point?

Why sign a player then either try and play him in a different position or in a style of play that is alien to him - it does the club no good and definitely is no good to the player.
And that is why I think Adams is 'only' doing a good job so far and not a fantastic one. I agree with Adams that one up front is the way to go in most normal circumstances but before Taylor was fit again it was quite clear that we had no one near good enough to play the lone role.

He can make frustrating decisions at times, but on the whole you cannot argue with taking us from 7th in League 2 up to 12th in League 1 in less than three years, you really can't.

As for signings... blimey, I thought it was only in June when Pasoti unnecessarily panicked over lack of signings - we've outdone ourselves this time!

He'll sign players. Chill out. If it gets to January 30th and we still haven't got in a replacement for Toums and a backup to Taylor, then fair enough - then we can start to panic.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Perhaps some of the Adamites can explain where the signing of wingers who can't/don't defend (Ainsworth/Wylde) fit into the system that Adams normally deploys and as a side question; where they feel wages from these players could have been more usefully deployed?

May 8, 2011
Mark Pedlar":2k3l3nxm said:
Perhaps some of the Adamites can explain where the signing of wingers who can't/don't defend (Ainsworth/Wylde) fit into the system that Adams normally deploys and as a side question; where they feel wages from these players could have been more usefully deployed?

If Adams has a preferred style of play it is based on counter attacking, so Ainsworth and Wylde fit in perfectly as evidence by Ainsworth’s part in our winning goal at Bradford.

Apr 29, 2016
samjones":hkapqekm said:
:tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed:

Another typical Argo transfer window

So do you reckon that you just ring up a manager and say I’m looking for a striker who do you have available .... yes I’ll buy him. You don’t want quantity you want quality so the better players can pick and choose their destination. They will frequently take far longer to negotiate. Also you’ll find that it’s like buying a house, to be able to buy someone that is dependent on the selling club making a signing to be able to release them. Again that signing can be dependent on another signing. If you want a quick signing it sometimes can be as desperate as a protracted signing. Just chill for a bit!

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
HC Green":1t5om3hr said:
Mark Pedlar":1t5om3hr said:

If Adams has a preferred style of play it is based on counter attacking, so Ainsworth and Wylde fit in perfectly as evidence by Ainsworth’s part in our winning goal at Bradford.

Maybe DA took notice of the fans last year who said that they didnt like the style of play, maybe the Chairman asked him to try changing his approach to increase the entertainment factor. So DA bought a number of wingers. Then Taylor got injured and the playing style had to change. Now Taylor is back, Ruben is getting a chance and from what i have seen and read is doing well. Maybe Ainsworth will start getting a chance soon to show what he can really do without being in a team devoid of confidence, discipline and a striker who can now bring wingers into play.

Apart from a decent striker and maybe another CM i think most people were quite happy the squad at the start of the season. Unfortunately injuries (and poor discipline) meant that those earmarked as backups became the first team players.