AFT Calls for Investigation | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

AFT Calls for Investigation

PutneyPete

♣️ PASALB Member
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
rsp4":3w1brv38 said:
jay_smithy":3w1brv38 said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0636c38

Interview with Scunthorpe chairman who funny enough was born and grew up in Plymouth. All his comments answer most of what the trust are asking.

Good interview which answers all the questions. Rubbish :furious:

Investigation over methinks

That interview does NOT answer all the questions. 1 month earlier, on the 2nd March, Scunthorpe called in a local referee via the EFL for a pitch inspection. So why not again?
https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/new ... olunteers/

Scunthorpe had frost covers which are not suitable and get damaged if used when raining.
So why doesn't Scunthorpe have some rain covers?
Just perhaps spending some money on that, instead of firing their manager who got and kept them in the play off positions for most of the season?

Aug 11, 2013
What makes me laugh is that if the Chairman had asked the same sort of questions on Argyle fans' behalf there'd be some on here backing him to the hilt.

If nothing else, it has shown Scunny, that Argyle fans were disappointed and annoyed in equal measure. The bad publicity may have an impact on decisions in the future you never know. Those decisions may benefit fellow fans.

Give me 10 AFT Argyle fans trying to do some good, than one barracker from the sidelines. Its easier to oppose than propose.

Dec 23, 2005
I must admit, I did think their chairman sounded very sincere during his interview, but as the link above clearly says, they did manage to get a local referee into the Scunthorpe v Oldham match, so really why could they not have done the same again, and it would have perhaps spared our fans many hours travelling on the motorway.

I myself, travelled from Scarborough, and made it to Hull before the match was cancelled. I did expect the match to be postponed as this area took some rain throughout the night, but I traveled more in hope than anything!

Mark_Colling":1g6bnad2 said:
Leeder":1g6bnad2 said:
Lots of criticism towards the AFT on here, I do wonder what percentage of critiques had actually travelled to this doomed fixture.
For the record. I did travel and it was annoying but the weather was shocking so no complaints about the decision.

The only thing the clubS could have done was warn fans of the risk on Sunday (I know we could all see the forecast but had no idea how well the pitch drains or existing ground conditions to guess what might happen) and reach the decision earlier on Monday.

From what has been said since, it sounds like BOTH clubs knew about the verti-draining so both are guilty on the first point. Poor communication is common to all clubs (Chesterfield tweeted that their game was on at 11 before calling it off at 12) but has to be improved.

As for the second, if both clubs agree is is unplayable (as it was seen was the case), they shouldn’t have to wait for a referee (local or otherwise). I suspect that this is where EFL rule changes are required.

I agree, my angst is with the late postponement and I lay that at the feet of the football league and the ref deciding he didn't want to attend until gone 11am, all very avoidable.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The referee, Scott Oldham, got stuck in traffic on the M62 while travelling for the pitch inspection.

That suggests he wasn't in the Scunthorpe area on the night before the game and had planned to make the near 3 hour journey from his home in Poulton near Blackpool on the day of the game.
Which is fine for a 3pm kick-off although a little risky and I always thought referees had to stay overnight in the city or town where a game is taking place next day.

Sep 28, 2003
London
arrythewurzel":18bu5gc5 said:
What makes me laugh is that if the Chairman had asked the same sort of questions on Argyle fans' behalf there'd be some on here backing him to the hilt.

If nothing else, it has shown Scunny, that Argyle fans were disappointed and annoyed in equal measure. The bad publicity may have an impact on decisions in the future you never know. Those decisions may benefit fellow fans.

Give me 10 AFT Argyle fans trying to do some good, than one barracker from the sidelines. Its easier to oppose than propose.

Hear, hear.

Slating people trying to achieve things whilst sitting back and personally doing f-all is, sadly, a trait that seems to be unusually prevalent in a lot of Plymouthians. Some of the attacking, snipey and insulting posts on this thread about people who are trying to improve the lot of Argyle fans are deeply, deeply disappointing.

Sep 22, 2003
I do feel that questions should be asked regarding the postponement; and the fans' trust would be the very body to raise it, as it is the fans that are affected most and I support the AFT in their efforts in this respect.

However, to include point 4 regarding the BH fixture weakens the entire argument and with it a lot of respect. I don't disagree with such a long journey for many on the BH (although my own wasn't so far), but as has already been said the time to raise that was at the release of the fixtures, if not before. I would say that Carlisle having to come to Home Park on a Tuesday evening was several times worse than us having a trip to Scunthorpe on a BH. And please say that the reference to the traffic congestion was removed before being sent - it could have happened on the A38 on a Saturday, so adds nothing to the argument.
But where the call really falls flat is that the fixtures are set by the EFL and it is to the EFL that this call for an investigation has been made. Complaint? Yes (but too late). Investigation? No.

Aug 5, 2015
We already know that the EFL doesn’t give two donkeys donglers about the fans. And football sold out to TV years ago. So it’s a bit difficult to see what such a protest would achieve but I commend the AFT for at least trying. And why would they need to ask their members about this - that’s what you have a board/committee for. Otherwise it would be ancient history before any protest/statement came out. As long as they don’t claim to speak for all Argyle fans which they clearly don’t

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
PutneyPete":3nffr3vs said:
rsp4":3nffr3vs said:
jay_smithy":3nffr3vs said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0636c38

Interview with Scunthorpe chairman who funny enough was born and grew up in Plymouth. All his comments answer most of what the trust are asking.

Good interview which answers all the questions. Rubbish :furious:

Investigation over methinks

That interview does NOT answer all the questions. 1 month earlier, on the 2nd March, Scunthorpe called in a local referee via the EFL for a pitch inspection. So why not again?
https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/new ... olunteers/

Scunthorpe had frost covers which are not suitable and get damaged if used when raining.
So why doesn't Scunthorpe have some rain covers?
Just perhaps spending some money on that, instead of firing their manager who got and kept them in the play off positions for most of the season?

There are not many referees local to this part of the country but on 2nd March they may have been more fortunate as of their whereabouts.

Darren Drysdale is in Lincoln but he was refereeing at Oldham on Easter Monday.

Darren England (Barnley) was free as his game was Tuesday night but is still over an hour away and probably wouldn't have got there before the match referee if asked to do so once it was established that Scott Oldham was caught in traffic.

Craig Pawson is based in Sheffield but had officiated in London the day before so may not have been available.

As for rain covers, they are not mandatory in League One as are not frost covers, undersoil heating or sliding roofs.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Daz":egdofw4p said:
argyledad":egdofw4p said:
Damned if we do complain and damned if we don't. The phone calls, texts and emails I have received from fellow supporters in the last 24 hours, who like many of us were caught up in this, suggests that we were right.

I don’t think anyone is doubting that many people were caught up in this. Whilst it doesn’t bother me at all and wasn’t going to bother posting about it, I do think you should read the many comments made by fans across all forums saying you got it wrong.. To say you have received calls and texts from fans suggests you are right doesn’t give you any credibility in my opinion. Clearly they are your friends as they have your number, so will of course wont give you a fully independent view.

If the fixture scheduling was an issue this should have been raised months ago. In fact I’d go as far as to say it should have been raised months ago by the trust. That’s the role I see you guys having. Identifying issues that argyle fans could have and proactively seeking solutions to them before we are affected would be more than enough for many Argyle fans to gain some confidence in the AFT.

Good luck with it.
It seems very unfair to suggest that the AFT chairman's phone number was only available to 'his friends'. The OP from GreenSam provided a link to the AFT statement that was available and it clearly gave the AFT chairman's name (Bob Foale) and phone number (07712 196441) and his invitation to speak to him on the matter.

I am sure that there are other matters that AFT could raise with the club but it does seem unreasonable to criticise this particular initiative.

Maybe, their initiative has helped by the early announcement that refunds will be available for supporters who cannot attend on the rearranged date and that there will be a partial refund of ÂŁ9 for travel club members.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
davie nine":1363h3bq said:
Daz":1363h3bq said:
argyledad":1363h3bq said:
Damned if we do complain and damned if we don't. The phone calls, texts and emails I have received from fellow supporters in the last 24 hours, who like many of us were caught up in this, suggests that we were right.

I don’t think anyone is doubting that many people were caught up in this. Whilst it doesn’t bother me at all and wasn’t going to bother posting about it, I do think you should read the many comments made by fans across all forums saying you got it wrong.. To say you have received calls and texts from fans suggests you are right doesn’t give you any credibility in my opinion. Clearly they are your friends as they have your number, so will of course wont give you a fully independent view.

If the fixture scheduling was an issue this should have been raised months ago. In fact I’d go as far as to say it should have been raised months ago by the trust. That’s the role I see you guys having. Identifying issues that argyle fans could have and proactively seeking solutions to them before we are affected would be more than enough for many Argyle fans to gain some confidence in the AFT.

Good luck with it.
It seems very unfair to suggest that the AFT chairman's phone number was only available to 'his friends'. The OP from GreenSam provided a link to the AFT statement that was available and it clearly gave the AFT chairman's name (Bob Foale) and phone number (07712 196441) and his invitation to speak to him on the matter.

I am sure that there are other matters that AFT could raise with the club but it does seem unreasonable to criticise this particular initiative.

Maybe, their initiative has helped by the early announcement that refunds will be available for supporters who cannot attend on the rearranged date and that there will be a partial refund of ÂŁ9 for travel club members.

Yeah maybe, I’m sure the club would have sat on the announcement after telling everyone the date of the rearranged game. :thumbs:

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Andy Holland":jfjllwsd said:
arrythewurzel":jfjllwsd said:

Hear, hear.

Slating people trying to achieve things whilst sitting back and personally doing f-all is, sadly, a trait that seems to be unusually prevalent in a lot of Plymouthians. Some of the attacking, snipey and insulting posts on this thread about people who are trying to improve the lot of Argyle fans are deeply, deeply disappointing.

Well yes, a bit.. but the Trust should pick their battles and their time for intervention. Is this really the issue on which we’d want the voice of the supporters to be heard through a public statement? Given our recent history i’d have thought the Trust would keep their powder dry for issues where there is clear culpability and not an act of nature. Or a clear need for consultation, such as the ground development. It comes across, whether intended or not, as rather ill judged and as the Trust is a recognised voice of supporters, they should expect supporters who disagree to pipe up. I certainly would not want people who do a good job volunteering their time to feel put upon. Just wish they’d choose their public battles a bit more carefully than this. These sorts of things don’t need to be broadcast publically. Not saying they shouldn’t raise it, but not with a megaphone on this occasion. If this is the height of it, it does make me wonder what the need for the Trust in the current circumstances?

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
I think the reaction to the statement is a little unreasonable. It appeared on their website amongst a number of other articles—hardly a fanfare—and was then linked to Pasoti by way of information by a non AFT member. I don’t know anybody on the AFT board or any of the history but taken objectively I struggle to see what they’ve done wrong.

Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
I'm not a member of the AFT but can see absolutely nothing wrong with their statement. If you look at the match postponed thread there are a lot of conspiracy theories that Scunthorpe didn't want to play Argyle in such good form & purposefully didn't do their very best to get the match on.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
The EFL rules should stipulate that the time of the initial inspection should take into account the distance that the away side (and supporters) have to travel.