AFT Calls for Investigation | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

AFT Calls for Investigation

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
On a lighter note. Argyle have an important place in history with instances of this nature. On 03 January 1959 the Argyle party journeyed to Tranmere Rovers for a Third Division fixture. There had been prolonged rain in Lancashire (no Merseyside then) and when the team coach arrived almost half of the slightly sloping ground was under four inches of water. Tranmere had played their local derby with Wrexham on New Years Day and many thought it was unfit then. The ground had been rolled immediately after the Wrexham game, effectively sealing off the drainage. Football League rules meant that only the match referee could decide and he was not required to be there until 90 minutes before the scheduled start. Opposing teams had to travel no matter what. Argyle Chairman Ron Blindell wrote a strongly worded to the League and copied it to the FA. This is credited as the move that introduced pre-travel inspections by a locally based first class referee, after FA Secretary Stanley Rous promised to review the system. Quote of the day: As the players were taken by coach to Anfield to watch Liverpool play Sunderland Alex Govan told the Sunday Independent's Spectator: "Bloody shame that; today was going to be my best game of the season."

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Addendum to the AFT statement : Can you please make sure when Plymouth Argyle are playing away over a holiday period and the weather is looking dodgy you select a club that is near a premiership ground so our players / fans go and watch in case of a postponement .

Apr 15, 2008
London
IJN":9dw9shp6 said:
Another one from outside Plymouth who likes to say what’s wrong with it.

As for me calling them names, if the worst they hear is ‘pompous windbags’ then they’ll be doing very well I’d Say.

From what I’ve read on here, FB and Twitter, i’m Far from the only one that thought they were out of line and seriously out of touch.

Still, as a Plymothian what would I know!

Yeah, agree with that. Well-meany pomposity. Think Captain Mainwaring for the social media age.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
cheshiregreen":1y1jfo33 said:
http://www.argylefanstrust.com/2018/04/17/4244/

In response to no.3

It is not to the advantage of clubs to be playing local games on Bank Holidays. Argyle for instance are pretty much guaranteed a large gate at home to Bristol Rovers and also a good turn out on a Bank Holiday. Why bring the two together on the same day and have just one big pay day instead of two?

Aug 5, 2015
Sure but travelling to Bristol on a Bank Holiday is a bit easier than travelling to Carlisle for instance especially when major road and rail projects take place at such times. But as we know football authorities couldn’t give a stuff about the fans. Sky takes priority of course.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Kentishgreen":1kd1zsfq said:
Sure but travelling to Bristol on a Bank Holiday is a bit easier than travelling to Carlisle for instance especially when major road and rail projects take place at such times. But as we know football authorities couldn’t give a stuff about the fans. Sky takes priority of course.

It's not the Football Authorities imposing such fixtures though, it is at the request of the clubs themselves. Martin Starnes even stated so in one of their Q&A forums.

May 8, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":203s20b1 said:
Kentishgreen":203s20b1 said:

It's not the Football Authorities imposing such fixtures though, it is at the request of the clubs themselves. Martin Starnes even stated so in one of their Q&A forums.

On the same day that we should have played Scunthorpe, Peterborough played Northampton, which is a very local derby.

Aug 5, 2015
And there’s me thinking that the EFL didn’t take into account clubs wishes when producing the fixture list. You learn something new every week. Well worth the licence fee.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
HC Green":fympsgnx said:
Lundan Cabbie":fympsgnx said:
Kentishgreen":fympsgnx said:

On the same day that we should have played Scunthorpe, Peterborough played Northampton, which is a very local derby.

Indeed so. Not sure what you are trying to say though. Not every club makes such requests regarding Bank Holiday fixtures. Argyle obviously do, as it seems Scunny do too.

Jan 6, 2004
Cant be bothered to read all this thread but who are the AFT and who do they speak for? Why are they making fools of the fan-base?

PutneyPete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
Green_Flash":1x75y9eq said:
Cant be bothered to read all this thread but who are the AFT and who do they speak for? Why are they making fools of the fan-base?

If you cant be bothered to read a thread, then I cant be bothered to sum it up for you.