AFT Calls for Investigation | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

AFT Calls for Investigation

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Dreamgreen":20iegqfw said:
As a matter of interest, why can't a club call in a local referee to inspect the pitch ? (Someone on here says they can't).

I am certain this has happened dozens of times over the years at Argyle.

Has there been some sort of rule change ?

As it has been mentioned that a large puddle existed in a goalmouth, I, like some others would have thought an early inspection (say 8am) would have been a sensible thing !
They can call in a local referee (although he has to be a certain level). He then submits his report to the league who then make the final decision.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The deputy groundsman at Scunthorpe has admitted they don't have rain covers for the pitch, only frost covers.

The Scunthorpe fixture has been set in stone since June 2017 so it's silly to complain about it now.

Also, in the recent AFT survey fans wanted more consultation from the AFT before decisions were made, so have members been consulted over this?

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Mark_Colling":3rzqiajr said:
By all means ask for better, earlier communication when a game is at risk (they verti-drained the pitch in Sunday so it clearly was) so that fans have some warning but really? FFS, it rains and you may have noticed that the weather forecasts aren’t perfect.

Exactly... lets add the Met Office, Coutnryfile (for some reason my grandparents always trusted this more than any other forecast!) and some others to the list to investigate.

May 8, 2011
Reading the AFT statement I have no idea whether they have written to or contacted any of the relevant parties with their concerns.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
This is the final straw from me being a member of the AFT from the off I have cancelled my DD membership payment.

Oct 24, 2010
I think there is a very strong case for postponing games based on adverse weather forecasts. It's not as if there is a shortage of free Tuesday evenings for the rearranged fixture. It's unfair though to pillory Scunthorpe when they were doing what every other club, including us, would have done.

PutneyPete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
Some information:
Yes, you can have a Local referee do a pitch inspection.

Scunthorpe United on the 2nd March 2018
The club requested an inspection on Friday morning, and the EFL sent down a local referee to assess the pitch. He was very complimentary about the condition of the playing surface, saying it was playable.

As usually scheduled before a game, the match referee John Busby will be at the stadium on Saturday morning at 9.30am.
https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/new ... olunteers/

So, Scunthorpe could have asked for a local referee inspection AND the game referee should have been there earlier.

Scunthorpe have frost covers - BUT they do not act as rain covers, So they were not used.

The reply from Scunthorpe to my email ...

Hi Peter,

The club fully appreciates the frustrations of it being called off for all concerned but the covers are for protection against frost and are not designed to protect the pitch from heavy rain. They would have had little or no effect with such a quantity of rain falling overnight and through the morning.

Kind regards
Rob

Rob Noble | Head of Marketing, Ticketing & Retail - Supporter Liaison Officer

Part of my email ....
Why did you not put rain covers over the pitch before the rain came in on Sunday night?

The BBC weather forecast from Saturday was forecasting heavy rain for Monday. ...

So why don't Scunthorpe have rain covers?

Shouldn't it be a requirement of all football league clubs?

May 16, 2016
In some ways, you have to give some credit to the AFT for raising the subject, at least they are speaking out on behalf of those who have been inconvienced.

However, the Fixture List has been out for sometime and we've known when this game was regardless of the weather. The journey times would have been similar come rain or shine. The main issue is the classic one of the timing of the postponement. I've been outside Notts County Meadow Lane only to find out the frost had won, turned around and trudged off. Annoyed but didn't want heads on poles.

In terms of people claiming knee jerk, in my opinion, there's an element of kneejerk reaction to Social Media protestations and compensation arguments I've seen elsewhere as much as anything. Peer pressure and being seen to be proactive perhaps ?

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
This statement does have a whiff of "HELLO we are still here, fighting for the downtrodden Argyle fan"

With the club being upwardly mobile the AFT becomes largely personae non gratae. I believe the AFT during the good times should keep a very low profile and keep humming along quietly engaging with the fans in the background. When and if a crisis rears it ugly head then the organisation is well equipped and able bodied to be a rallying call and voice for the fans. That's utopia I suppose.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Knarf Reprah":2vq2cn3x said:
This is why the AFT is a busted flush. Typical knee jerk reaction by a bunch of would be "I'm important" windbags who represent just how many of the fan Base? 200? 500? How dare they make us look stupid! Did they poll the membership? NO . In addition I wonder how many of the membership went to Scunthorpe?

Maybe this was misjudged from the Trust, but do you need to be quite such a *redacted* about it?

Whether you agree with them or not (and I don't here), the Trust put in hours and hours of unpaid and largely unacknowledged work to make things better for YOU. You don't have to agree with everything they say or do, but there's literally no need to be such an arse towards them.

Oct 24, 2010
Andy Holland":2nmpzjwi said:
Knarf Reprah":2nmpzjwi said:
This is why the AFT is a busted flush. Typical knee jerk reaction by a bunch of would be "I'm important" windbags who represent just how many of the fan Base? 200? 500? How dare they make us look stupid! Did they poll the membership? NO . In addition I wonder how many of the membership went to Scunthorpe?

Maybe this was misjudged from the Trust, but do you need to be quite such a *redacted* about it?

Whether you agree with them or not (and I don't here), the Trust put in hours and hours of unpaid and largely unacknowledged work to make things better for YOU. You don't have to agree with everything they say or do, but there's literally no need to be such an arse towards them.
Not many (anyone at all?) agree with the Trust's actions but it is well intentioned and there is no need for abuse..

Aug 11, 2013
I find some of the responses on here a bit OTT. It seems to me that some of the posts have some score to settle with the AFT. Seems to me the AFT are doing no more than support disgruntled fans who's precious day off was completely ruined.

You've surely got to ask how can it be in 2018 with all the money flowing around in football, with the weather radar and forecasting, with the equipment available to protect pitches and to make surfaces playable that we get late postponements like this. It's not right. Some of us may think they have a point.

Seems that some think we should simply shrug our shoulders and say 'it will be ever so'. It will be ever so if no-one does anything to complain! In no other entertainment industry would you get away with it. I'd rather the AFT did something even if it proves fruitless than shrug. Even bad publicity raises the issue in the public domain.

Before anyone asks I know nothing about the AFT. Never taken any interest .... but to my mind their heart is in the right place and the rabid posts on here about something that had laudable aims I find a bit bemusing. As I say any publicity is good publicity even if you think it embarrassing.

May 3, 2016
Who are you sending this too?

On behalf of who?

Certainly not me I did not vote for any of you.

You do not speak on behalf of the fan base, now please lay low for another season.

Thanks

:crazy: