AFT Calls for Investigation | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

AFT Calls for Investigation

Jul 29, 2010
One day there may be a genuine problem at Argyle (some, not I, will tell you there already is) that requires a coherent, galvanised, united fan response. We would then desperately need a strong, respected fan group that both speaks for the fans and has the ear of the fans. That sort of situation is what caused the formation of the AFT in the first place.

It is silliness like this, and the personality driven soapboxing that has gone before, that means if/when that genuine crisis arises... we're totally screwed :sad:

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Is it still April Fools day if not we know who the fools are.

May 8, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":234mbmoi said:
Clubs actually ask for local games to NOT be held on Bank Holidays. Argyle played Southend on Good Friday, a day they can expect a large gate whoever they play. Why waste that day on someone like Bristol Rovers when that fixture is likely to draw a big crowd at any time of the season.

So why did the fixture list produce games like Peterborough v Northampton and Crewe v Port Vale for Easter Monday, even Exeter v Cheltenham could be regarded as a local derby.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
HC Green":stz1pc87 said:
Lundan Cabbie":stz1pc87 said:
Clubs actually ask for local games to NOT be held on Bank Holidays. Argyle played Southend on Good Friday, a day they can expect a large gate whoever they play. Why waste that day on someone like Bristol Rovers when that fixture is likely to draw a big crowd at any time of the season.

So why did the fixture list produce games like Peterborough v Northampton and Crewe v Port Vale for Easter Monday, even Exeter v Cheltenham could be regarded as a local derby.
Clubs can ask for local fixtures on bank holidays just as they can ask not to have them.

Jul 17, 2011
I can’t remember an investigation when we were 4-1 down to Barnsley at home that one time.... just accept it, it’s one of those things.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
By all means ask for better, earlier communication when a game is at risk (they verti-drained the pitch in Sunday so it clearly was) so that fans have some warning but really? FFS, it rains and you may have noticed that the weather forecasts aren’t perfect.

Feb 23, 2008
Plymouth
I’m sure the club will carry out it’s on investigation and claims of compensation to the EFL for wasted hotel expenses etc. But just like the farce of Morecambe away last year, EFL need to realise that putting games so far away on bank holidays is unacceptable, if there’s no other viable option then just scrap the bank holiday fixtures.

I don’t agree with all of the statement nor the timing however as a fan caught up in the drama, the communication was dire from all parties. They announced at 1000 that there would be a pitch inspection at 1115 which turned out to be 1140. If they had serious doubts then, it should have been called off at 1000 rather than letting fans carry on up the motorway. The fact that Adams said it was the right call means that both managers were in agreement, to me that’s enough to postpone it rather than waiting for a bloke in black to rock up when he wants to confirm what’s already been agreed?

Apr 5, 2008
Something should be done on how far fans are expected to travel though on bank holidays.Over 300 miles there and back is way too far.That could have been changed when the fixtures came out.

Jan 3, 2013
This is why the AFT is a busted flush. Typical knee jerk reaction by a bunch of would be "I'm important" windbags who represent just how many of the fan Base? 200? 500? How dare they make us look stupid! Did they poll the membership? NO . In addition I wonder how many of the membership went to Scunthorpe?

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
As a matter of interest, why can't a club call in a local referee to inspect the pitch ? (Someone on here says they can't).

I am certain this has happened dozens of times over the years at Argyle.

Has there been some sort of rule change ?

As it has been mentioned that a large puddle existed in a goalmouth, I, like some others would have thought an early inspection (say 8am) would have been a sensible thing !

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
It is evident from today's press that the East Midlands, South Humberside region was particularly hit yesterday by excessive rainfall, so there is no doubt over the pitch condition.

What we do not know is how much contact the Club had with the Met Office to determine the likely rainfall volume.

It then begs the question as to whether covers would have been an effective measure to protect the pitch. If they had sufficient kit with a big enough area, it then remains to be seen whether Scunthorpe were able to drain off the surface water from the top of the covers without leakage. I suspect like a lot of clubs Scunthorpe's ground does not offer surface water drains immediately around the pitch. This creates a problem that can only be sorted by bringing in the Fire Brigade with a pumping device. Whilst I sympathise strongly with travelling fans, I think identifying a positive solution to the prevailing weather conditions would be fraught. I do not know whether a local FL referee's services to examine the pitch can be used these days. At one time they could. At least it might have saved a bit of petrol for those driving. All I know is that muddy pitches are great levellers and it might yet prove to Argyle's advantage to play in more verdant Spring-like conditions on a firm pitch.