Adams in demand? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Adams in demand?

C

Charles Plym

HC Green":w3rmh844 said:
Green_Flash":w3rmh844 said:
"I think you will find that Adams was alluding to the fact that many of the keyboard warriors fans on social media including Pasoti obviously don’t want him as manager of PAFC.

Four months ago there were calls for him to be sacked because he was out of his depth, tactically inept, lost the dressing room etc. Now after a few wins the same fans are saying he will be poached, off to somewhere better."

If that is the case he needs to grow up - he is a football manager - it is a well paid but precarious job which demands results. The first 2 months of the season were terrible in every way, we were rooted to the bottom and getting thrashed most weeks, Adams did look out of his depth and he was getting the tactics wrong. relegation back to League 2 would have set the club back years. He would have faced calls to be sacked on that basis from any club in the country. He turned it around, he changed his tactics, it is paying dividends. Now people are scared of losing him (although I don't think so - for reasons stated at the top of the thread). It is all natural and understandable.

There was one group of supporters who never doubted Adams and that was the Board.
The only people who counted were the ones who got it right and kept him in post . Thank god the posters of pasoti dont ruin sorry run our great club .

Apr 15, 2008
London
newquaygreen":17e3a7u4 said:
Not forgetting that we were not done over at the play-off final, Wombles were very lucky.
Promotion season was good, we deserved to go up
As for this season any club can struggle in a new division, past season has no bearing on anything. Many promoted sides go straight back down. Don't forget we have done really well against top opposition recently, that should not be forgotten.

One of the few blots on the DA copybook was the play-off final. We were terrible on that day, just awful.

Sep 6, 2006
HC Green":uau7iqfh said:
Green_Flash":uau7iqfh said:
"I think you will find that Adams was alluding to the fact that many of the keyboard warriors fans on social media including Pasoti obviously don’t want him as manager of PAFC.

Four months ago there were calls for him to be sacked because he was out of his depth, tactically inept, lost the dressing room etc. Now after a few wins the same fans are saying he will be poached, off to somewhere better."

If that is the case he needs to grow up - he is a football manager - it is a well paid but precarious job which demands results. The first 2 months of the season were terrible in every way, we were rooted to the bottom and getting thrashed most weeks, Adams did look out of his depth and he was getting the tactics wrong. relegation back to League 2 would have set the club back years. He would have faced calls to be sacked on that basis from any club in the country. He turned it around, he changed his tactics, it is paying dividends. Now people are scared of losing him (although I don't think so - for reasons stated at the top of the thread). It is all natural and understandable.

There was one group of supporters who never doubted Adams and that was the Board.

So you were at the Board meetings?

Sep 6, 2006
Charles.plym":3vpu37dq said:
What utter bullpoo! All this goes to prove is how clueless and fickle football fans are .....lose a few and the experts will be demanding his sacking again yawn !

Wish we were all as smart as you and Green Army 84. Guess you saw this turn around happening. How much you have on it?

Ray Stidwell

Jam First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Green Flash, That was not my rational view; mine was that ....we have a very good manager who I trusted for the long-term; football management is longer-term than “ just a few months” , especially at a time of flux, or changing dynamics- a new, higher league for example.

I’m not writing this as a matter of “ right or wrong” but just to say that my rational response was different to yours. ( it might even have extended to placing a few bob as I thought ( rationally I believe) that the odds were very generous)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Balham_Green":27hn77vv said:
HC Green":27hn77vv said:

So you were at the Board meetings?

No but he often speaks to directors and they to a man were behind Derek Adams.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Green_Flash":q2ummhk1 said:
I really don't think Adams can have been surprised or offended that people were calling him to be sacked after the horrendous start we had - football was terrible and relegation looked a near certainty if we carried on as we were and the team seemed to have lost all discipline. Yes he had some bad luck, but any job, especially sports management, depends on luck as well as talent. He should also not be surprised that those very same people are now lauding him for changing his tactics, bringing in new talent and turning us around. There is no hypocrisy in that - it is a rational response.
That assessment is rubbish and was completely irrational. Fortunately, the board realised that a knee jerk reaction was totally inappropriate and unnecessary and, as IJN has said, not all supporters wanted DA out in September/October. In fact, in the Pasoti poll about 28% voted NO.

Aug 24, 2014
Buckingham
Doesn’t this stem from Steve Evans comments at Mansfield last year? Seems Adams is still wound up by that and / or is just running with an ongoing joke / wind up at Evans and others’ expense who doubted him. Nothing more than that. He is entitled to revel in the recent success. If he succeeds in winding up opposition managers then all the better.

Unfortunately that’s at the expense of winding up some fans who take what he says at face value. Just as Steve Evans did.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Adams is a complex character. He’s very often in the past made some seriously eyebrow-raising after-match comments, where he has lauded a team performance that every other rational fan would have been scratching their head over. (The Mansfield thing was clearly to wind up Evans though, obviously)

But what has been the biggest and most welcome eye opener though, is the fact he’s realised that the tactics, setup and general footballing philosophy that got us out of division four, wasn’t working in division three. Obviously a quick look at the table would confirm that, but Adams persona has always very much been one of ‘I’ll do it my way and I couldn’t really give a toss what you think’.

So yeah, it is refreshing to see a totally different side to his character and footballing ethos, that has seen him so successfully and dramatically turned around such a desperate start to the season.

Jul 6, 2011
People seem to have forgotten the lesson of sturrock to Southampton, he couldn't cut it, what makes people believe Adams will achieve any better?

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
The Grumpy Loyal":gnifpvo8 said:
Adams is a complex character. He’s very often in the past made some seriously eyebrow-raising after-match comments, where he has lauded a team performance that every other rational fan would have been scratching their head over. (The Mansfield thing was clearly to wind up Evans though, obviously)

But what has been the biggest and most welcome eye opener though, is the fact he’s realised that the tactics, setup and general footballing philosophy that got us out of division four, wasn’t working in division three. Obviously a quick look at the table would confirm that, but Adams persona has always very much been one of ‘I’ll do it my way and I couldn’t really give a toss what you think’.

So yeah, it is refreshing to see a totally different side to his character and footballing ethos, that has seen him so successfully and dramatically turned around such a desperate start to the season.

He is definetly different from any other manager I can remember.

Oct 24, 2010
Most of the fans were behind Adams, it was only the kneejerkers who had us relegated with thirty games still to play who wanted him sacked.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
The Grumpy Loyal":342scsuj said:

He still is doing it his way, though. It's just very good for us (and unfortunately, for potential suitors as well) that 'his way' includes adapting his tactics to the situation. He employed a certain method to get us comfortably promoted last season, now his new methods have seen us be the best team in League 1 over the last 15 games.

It does make me laugh to see people claiming that he's finally listening to the fans. That's complete poppycock.

Oct 24, 2010
Our style of football is basically unchanged the significant difference is Taylor's return from in jury which enables us to get further up the pitch, along with Lameries proving a success in his roving role. Also confidence is a huge thing winning begets winning and visa versa.