Adams in demand? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Adams in demand?

Jan 6, 2004
No I think football management is a combination of luck and judgment, both when doing well and when doing badly. Poor discipline at the start of the season has to go down to management. Taylor injury was bad luck but on the other hand we didn't have a similar sort of player as replacement which we should have done as a target man is so critical to our system. As for our current run, about five players seem to have hit absolutely top form at the same time, now that is down to good management but it is also down to luck.

As I have said, notwithstanding the luck element, I give full credit when things go well, but at the same time I hold the manager responsible when they go badly.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
So there you go then.

Adams can't be in that much demand, nor will he be if...

a) He loses the dressing room

b) He's responsible for the injuries at the beginning of the season

c) He's responsible for players getting red cards

d) He's responsible for the team "choking" - regularly according to the OP

e) He blows the biggest budges in League 2 on...on...errr...he just blows it!

Or...the OP could just be putting out a gigantic pile of dross!

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
davegreenarmy":3fvtgdqq said:
lyndhurst green":3fvtgdqq said:
DA has said him himself; if he gets us there or thereabouts the Championship, he will no longer be our manager.

I'm not doubting this statement, but it's the first time I've heard it. Out of interest when, and in what context, was it said?

Interview after Shrews.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
What a bizarre set of posts the weekend after another fantastic win.

Mar 10, 2007
Daz":3tus3t0m said:
What a bizarre set of posts the weekend after another fantastic win.

It is amazing that people search so hard for the negatives amidst the joyful experience that being an Argyle fan has been of late. Don't worry folks, sooner or later, inevitably we will have plenty to moan about again, but for goodness sake let's ride this wave and enjoy it while it lasts!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Green_Flash":1xpp2stl said:
True, but you cannot just ignore the start of the season, fact is that he basically lost the dressing room for a couple of months and discipline went out of the window. There is no doubt that he made some bum signings and did not have adequate cover for key players meaning injuries devastated us.

Presumably Pep Guardiola is a poor manager because 'you cannot just ignore' last season when he finished 15 points behind Chelsea and made 'bum signings' like Claudio Bravo and Nolito. He made mistakes, learned from them and then adapted to a league, and DA has done that too. It's also worth noting that the period you speak of is the blip to the norm of sustained success and improvement that he has overseen.

Far more likely is that potential suitors will look at his ability to turn around a seemingly hopeless situation, and be even more impressed.

But as Daz says, it's a bizarre discussion to be having when we should be revelling in the positives.

Jan 6, 2004
I am not being negative, in fact what I am mainly doing is trying to persuade myself that Adams wont get poached at the end of the season!

Sep 28, 2003
London
Green_Flash":3kl6gf0y said:
I will say that the worst possible outcome for us may be a losing play off final appearance. That sort of showcase may lead to an exodus of our best players to Championship teams and we could be looking at building the team all over again. In my view if we get to the playoffs the club is definitely better off getting promoted and should pull out all the stops.

I'm delighted with how well we're doing, all credit to the team/manager etc but I'm not sure who in the team is potentially Championship quality. Edwards, Threlkeld possibly? Remi Matthews will be but he's not ours.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Season 1: League 2 Wembley play off final.
Season 2: League 2 promotion.
Season 3: The season isn't over yet but we're more than half way through and we're in the top half of League 1.

You are always going to have poor patches and purple patches, but the above is the overall picture, and it's quite astonishing that people can still find reasons to be pedantic and negative.

I hope Adams is here for a long time to come.

E

Electronic

Green_Flash":36v93zyh said:
Disagree his league two record is remarkable - we had one of the biggest budgets in league two and arguably promotion happened a year later than anticipated.

What, 5th and a loss at Wembley, followed by missing out on the title on goal difference after having to rebuild the squad again over a single summer? You're hard to please.

A

andyr1963

Green_Flash":1bt6ap0d said:
Leon Horn":1bt6ap0d said:
Chairmen and managers talk. If Adams does succeed in getting into the play-offs with, apparently, not the biggest of League One budgets then his stock will be very high. Other club owners/chairmen will know roughly what Argyle's budget is and to get into the play-offs, especially with our poor start too, will also increase Adams' stock even further.

It will be a fantastic headache for Mr Brent and Mr Starnes to have, that's for sure...

True, but you cannot just ignore the start of the season, fact is that he basically lost the dressing room for a couple of months and discipline went out of the window. There is no doubt that he made some bum signings and did not have adequate cover for key players meaning injuries devastated us.

I will give him all the credit in the world for turning this around, but he must also shoulder responsibility for the poor start as well.

No that is not a "fact". That is your opinion, nothing more. I never heard one player break the ranks and say anything against the managerial team. They all stuck together and said so.

May 16, 2016
Cobi Budge":2u0xe2jv said:
Season 1: League 2 Wembley play off final.
Season 2: League 2 promotion.
Season 3: The season isn't over yet but we're more than half way through and we're in the top half of League 1.

You are always going to have poor patches and purple patches, but the above is the overall picture, and it's quite astonishing that people can still find reasons to be pedantic and negative.

I hope Adams is here for a long time to come.

Totally agree. It's amazing how some maintain we're lagging behind other teams in all departments. Terrible budgets from a cheapskate owner, poor excuse of a Grandstand refurb paid for by someone else, fans getting fleeced and conned left right and centre. Bargain shop signings etc etc etc.

All ignoring the (at the time of writing), Season by Season improvement since DA arrived.

Jul 2, 2014
OP: I could write a thoughtful rebuttal, but really ... really ... :furious: :facepalm: :banghead: We have a great team playing beautiful football and there are many who are contributing to this wonderful time, first and foremost DA, but also the players, the coaches & physio, the board and even the always vocal Green Army. When things were going poorly DA turned it around because the Board and the players were 100% with him. Only one person needs to falter for the team to lose (a red card, missed shot, a bad back pass) but everyone needs to deliver to have what we have. I hate fans scapegoating. DA is under contract through at least next season and I can see no reason why JB would let him leave without a truly massive transfer fee. More to the point, I think JB and DA are on exactly the same page about how the club should be operate and have a real partnership - something really rare in football.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
‘Zackly! mdgreener, well said & expressed - “simples” really!
Nor is it rocket science! DA made his long-term thinking clear from the outset “here to build a club” etc.
(As has been said elsewhere) he’s always ( just the twice for me so far) a pleasure to have a chat with & I’ve never seen cause to doubt his commitment, capabilities & professionalism
Loving “the ride” ever since he joined us & hoping it continues for a long time yet.
For sure it was painful for a while, when it was going horribly wrong too often, but even then good team spirit & performances were still happening ( Aug, at Posh, Sarfend: Sept - Wigan: Oct- Ewood Park: Nov- Bradford & v Cobblers).
Long may the ( albeit often “slow but sure”) progress last.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
I get the impression Adams is very ambitious, and I think at some point in the not too distant future that ambition will see him depart this footballing backwater...unfortunately.

However, in the meantime let's just enjoy where we are right now. Only 3-4 years ago we were facing an unimaginable disaster. Now we are dreaming of an unlikely playoff encounter.

Hopefully the board are preparing for when Adams moves on.