48 points... | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

48 points...

Mar 12, 2022
Will it be enough?

My immediate thought after the game was this. Swiftly followed by the response "of course not".

However, when examining other teams fixtures, specifically Wednesday, Hudds and Brum the picture is not bad at all.

Birmingham (46 pts): Huddersfield (A), Norwich (H)
Huddersfield (44 pts + inferior GD): Birmingham (H), IPSWICH (A)
Wednesday (44 pts + inferior GD): Blackburn (A), WBA (H), Sunderland (A)

I think the biggest game of our season (not including us) is Wednesday's game tomorrow. Lose that and they HAVE to get 2/2 wins to catch us considering our GD and WBA are very tough opponents and Sunderland, although underwhelming this season, surely won't want to lose their final home game without a fight.

Birmingham v Huddersfield. A draw or Huddersfield win will be ideal. Do not think Hudds are capable of winning (which they would also need to do considering their inferior GD) against Ipswich on the final day at Portman Road who will very likely have something very very big to play for.

I'm less trusting of Norwich against Brum on final day who will likely have one eye on their upcoming playoff campaign.

A disaster would be Wednesday winning against Blackburn and Sunderland (50 points) and Birmingham beating Hudds and drawing against Norwich (50 points).

BUT EVEN IF THAT HAPPENS we still have 2 fixtures against teams with nothing to play for to get a win for 51pts. Hull still have to play Cov and Ipswich before our game. I cannot see them having much to play for.

Be positive greens.

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
50 pts is 99.99% safe barring huge GD swing from Huddersfield, they‘d need two 9-0 wins, their 2 wins would mean that Birmingham can only get to 49 pts.
1 more point would make me much more confident, but we may have enough already to stay up on GD.

Reactions: pafc jack
Mar 12, 2022
I think the easiest way to look at it is if Wednesday lose tomorrow, Wednesday and Huddersfield have to WIN BOTH OF THEIR FINAL 2 GAMES to overtake us including games against WBA and Ipswich for Wednesday and Hudds respectively

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
I think the easiest way to look at it is if Wednesday lose tomorrow, Wednesday and Huddersfield have to WIN BOTH OF THEIR FINAL 2 GAMES including games against WBA and Ipswich for Wednesday and Hudds respectively
Right, that’s why I think we’ll be ok, but this league throws out some shockers.

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
50 pts is 99.99% safe barring huge GD swing from Huddersfield, they‘d need two 9-0 wins, their 2 wins would mean that Birmingham can only get to 49 pts.
1 more point would make me much more confident, but we may have enough already to stay up on GD.
Need to correct myself a little, Birmingham can get to 52 and Wednesday 53 still.
I think a draw or Huddersfield win against Birmingham is best for us next week.

Mar 21, 2013
Need to correct myself a little, Birmingham can get to 52 and Wednesday 53 still.
I think a draw or Huddersfield win against Birmingham is best for us next week.
Am I missing something, don’t we want Huddersfield to lose or draw? They’re already 4 points behind us & if they lose to Birmingham they can’t catch us whatever we do? This is based on Wednesday losing & not catching us up also, that’s why tomorrow is a big game for us. If Huddersfield beat Birmingham & we don’t get any points against Millwall then both Huddersfield & Birmingham can catch us up on the last game & Wednesday could as well depending on their next 2 results.

Jul 12, 2016
I think the easiest way to look at it is if Wednesday lose tomorrow, Wednesday and Huddersfield have to WIN BOTH OF THEIR FINAL 2 GAMES to overtake us including games against WBA and Ipswich for Wednesday and Hudds respectively
Assuming we only draw one game or lose both .

Jul 5, 2023
With QPR winning, it looks like Huddersfield are gone ( according to their fans) so that makes the final drop place between us, Birmingham and Wednesday. Tomorrow's game is massive for us

Reactions: Dorset Green

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Assuming we only draw one game or lose both .
If we lose both remaining games, SW and Huddersfield will be equal with a win and a draw with both having a far worse goal difference. That means that if Wednesday lose tomorrow, both will need to win both their remaining fixtures.

Mar 12, 2022
Am I missing something, don’t we want Huddersfield to lose or draw? They’re already 4 points behind us & if they lose to Birmingham they can’t catch us whatever we do? This is based on Wednesday losing & not catching us up also, that’s why tomorrow is a big game for us. If Huddersfield beat Birmingham & we don’t get any points against Millwall then both Huddersfield & Birmingham can catch us up on the last game & Wednesday could as well depending on their next 2 results.
Well the game tomorrow has a big impact of course in regard to SW and the 'other' relegation spot but I cannot see Huddersfield beating Ipswich on final day so they might as well beat/draw to Birmingham to take points off them too.

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
I put some thought in the elimination table thread. draw is probably best. However the Sheffield result tomorrow is key, should they lose then yeah pushing Huddersfield down is better.
I can see benefits of a Huddersfield win, it means Birmingham can only get to 49 pts, so we jut need a point to stay above them and Huddersfield would have to win at Ipswich.
Sheffield loss then they have to win their last two, so a Birmingham win would prevent Huddersfield passing us.
Ask me again this time tomorrow

Mar 21, 2013
Yeah Wednesday losing tomorrow would make me a little happier, still not there yet but I’d be feeling a little bit more confident. Could do ourselves a favour by beating Millwall Saturday I guess & stopping all this concern.

Reactions: Wexford Green
Jul 12, 2016
If we lose both remaining games, SW and Huddersfield will be equal with a win and a draw with both having a far worse goal difference. That means that if Wednesday lose tomorrow, both will need to win both their remaining fixtures.
I know but if we win one more game it is immaterial what they do

Reactions: alrightmeht