Brief Synopsis!!! (Charlton) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Charlton)

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Shoenice":5g8spxum said:
Andy in Peverell":5g8spxum said:
Andy in Peverell":5g8spxum said:
Koala Green":5g8spxum said:
I thought we were reactive and lacking any tempo in the first half. Picked up in the second half but a lot of work to do. All the defenders look uncomfortable on the ball. Edwards did improve and has a passing range but Sokolik is our most composed ball playing defender. Gary Miller's distribution is awful and is simple not upto this standard.

I want to like Sarcevic but gosh he needs to improve. He simply has to contribute far more than he does or else we need to look at getting someone like Ness in.

Grant looks intelligent and recycles the ball well. Useful player. Blissett is far too nice for such a big lad. Our forwards unlike Charlton's are/were too rigid. Lacking fluidity.

Quite simple - performance devoid of any real energy or tempo initially. Lack of basic competencies and off the ball movement by the midfield. McCormick and Jervis our best players which tells you everything. Big improvement needed quite frankly. Very lucky to win.

Have to say this summary is completely off the mark.

The defenders look ok on the ball, they are not Fox or Carey but it was Edwards long ball setting up the corner for the goal, we were distributing across the park nicely from right to left.

Sarcevic was immense today, about 5 or 6 times he closed down players and won important position in the attacking third for throw ins and free kick. Loo closely how he and Fox rotated into different positions with and without the ball, there is a good partnership developing there.

I thought our confidence built as the game went on and we realised that we can challenge at this level. The tactics were spot on. Go read the Charlton forum and all their fans saying we worked them out, we were more dynamic, they need a striker and we defended well and closed down their creative players.

If your summary is this negative when we win 2-0 against a top team like Charlton, I feel you are going to be very disappointed this season. That was as about a professional complete performance as you will see. We will playe technically superior teams like Charlton this season but we out thought and in the second half out fought them today. Proud of that performance

Totally agree.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion but I think there will be very few people at the game today who will agree

It really depends how you define performance. That performance was reasonable but lacking in quality. I thought we were fortunate to win 2-0 and didn't dominate Charlton in any way that would reflect a 2-0 scoreline. Charlton played most of the football and were most comfortable with the ball. A good performance to me is a game where we dominate the opposition. I don't think that was ever the case, summed up by Adams bringing Lamieras on and putting all 11 men behind the ball with 10/15 minutes to go. I honestly think Adams was being over cautious after our 5-0 defeat in the week. If we continue to set out like that at home, we will get punished. Let's wait and see.

I get where your coming from but being comfortable on the ball and dominating possession means nothing unless there's an end product.
Arsenal are always the best footballing team in the prem but haven't got close to winning the league in years.
We worked hard and got the vital first goal and the longer it went on the more comfortable it was.

That's Charlton's problem. What happens when other teams come here with more potency upfront? If we look to sit deep, soak up pressure and try hit on the break with one man up top, a positionally rigid front three and our inept distribution from the back line - then we will lose more often than not.
Have you considered that if a team comes here with more potency than Charlton, then our defence will step up a gear too? Exiles like me depend on the Brief Synopsis but you need to be aware that is actually easier to understand what went on when posts like yours are so very different to all (not just most) of the rest.

Feb 2, 2007
McCormick 10
Miller - 7
Edwards - 8
Bradley - 7
Sawyer - 8
Fox - 7
Sarcevic - 9
Carey - 8
Jervis - 8
Grant - 8
Blissett - 7

Ref- 4
Charlton- 7
Pilgrim Pete- 6, where does he go 2nd half?
Green Army- 7
Away fans- 5- reasonable numbers but pretty quiet
Derek- 10 excellent game plan and second half particularly fantastic

Really pleasing after Tuesdays upsetting and unsettling debacle. Glad we all remained calm :funny:

Jervis defended from the front and Grant gave as disciplined a left forward defensive display I have seen- I can instantly see why Adams wanted him. He's a team player.

With a decent centre forward fit we would have caused Charlton more problems. Blissett did really well considering the steep curve he has gone through and I am convinced he will learn fast from these experiences.

Charlton were a decent side and think they will be top half, although hard to calibrate just yet. Shame they had a couple of divers in the team. Glad we managed to keep Holmes quiet, such a dangerous player on his day.

Overall a most enjoyable game of football and probably on a par with any of the most entertaining games we witnessed at home last season- hopefully bodes well for a more open, pacey, threatening game plan, albeit with the same, effective, mercliness, seamless Adams brand of "no quarter given, suffocate the life out of them, give them all the space where it can't hurt, we will find the sucker-punch when you get bored!"

Sep 19, 2015
Blisset worked hard but lacks ability and a nack for goals. Would like to see a regular starter brought in to replace him

Jan 3, 2013
Not been on here for a while, but goodness me what a difference in standard from last season.
Argo are a good side.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
agree we are a decent team but just lacking a couple of quality players to challenge at the top.
Sadly the main one we are missing is a striker rather than say a Right Back.

The key to how high we finish will be the new No 9. Get someone decent we will be top half. Fail to get someone good in and we will be 16th or even a bit lower due to the lack of goal power

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Everyone else has got a special mention so thought it only right Mavis also got her name up in lights.

Don't know what she put in the tea at half time but it done the trick.
Hopefully for the wags it wasn't bromide

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Agree with all the positives and feel great tonight, but one small negative ;)... I really, really don't like that home kit now I've seen it in action properly.

I watched the Channel 5 show with a non green, and his exact words were... "That's weird, Charlton not playing in red and Argyle not playing in green"

Dec 3, 2005
LOL how can you give Blisset FOUR points and give Ness FIVE for ONE second on the pitch lol :funny:

And Fox an 8, seriously??

greeneagle

✅ Evergreen
Jan 26, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Well done Argyle. First points on the board against a decent side. Many thanks for all the reports. The consensus seems to be deserved the win after a much improved second half.
Onwards and upwards :scarf:

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
PL2 3DQ":1fwmexix said:
A thrilling game of football with a contrasting style from each team.

The quality of football played by both teams was a step up from League Two.

Argyle played a containing and counter attacking style of football while Charlton opted for a short passing style.
The first half was especially good with chances falling for both teams, the two keepers, McCormick and Amos, made outstanding saves to keep the score at 0-0.
We struggled with the short passing from Charlton, particularly in midfield, while Charlton couldn't handle our pace up front.

We were the better team for the second half and the first goal from Jervis knocked back Charlton and they didn't recover from this. Jervis' second goal was a brilliant solo goal and came at just the time Charlton were threatening a late equaliser.

Throughout the game the left-sided triangle of Sawyer, Carey and Grant caused all sorted of problems in attack and all three combined to shut down the left side when defending.

Charlton had a habit of falling down or blatent diving, something that might earn some of their players a retrospective two game ban under the new rules for this season.

A win, a great performance and we finally spotted Nessie roaming in his natural habitat! What a day!

Threlkeld was missing through injury so Miller came in at right-back, otherwise it was the expected team.
The new kit had plenty of white and no excuse not to get noticed.

Two early excellent Sawyer crosses caused problems in the Charlton six yard box, with Jervis and then Blissett just failing to get a stretched toe onto the ball.

After those two chances the game settled down to Charlton having the ball and passing it around the team while we were content to sit back and play on the break.

McCormick made a fantastic double save just when it looked like Charlton would take the lead, his second save pushed the ball onto the woodwork.

At the other end Sawyer had a right-foot shot well saved and a Carey free-kick sailed over the bar.

The Argyle defence pushed a further 10 yards up the pitch to close the space in midfield and this stopped Charlton dominating the midfield area.

We didn't use the zonal system when defending corners for this game so it looks like this system has either been ditched or tactics will change game to game.

The Charlton players had a clear tactic of trying to unsettle McCormick when he had the ball by running across him or dragging him back. The weak referee allowed this to continue.
The half continued end to end and it could have been 3-3 at 3.45pm, instead it was one of the best 0-0 halves seen in a long time.

We grabbed an early second half goal which knocked the stuffing out of Charlton, although they still continued to fall down as though shot by that mysterious sniper in the stands.
Carey's wand of a left foot found Edwards at the far post from a corner, he headed the back down and there was Jervis to back heel home from close range. Home Park erupted!

We sat back again, contained the Charlton Olympic diving team and played on the counter-attack.

Carey had a long range shot whistle just wide, it would have been a contender for goal of the season if that had gone in.

McCormick was struggling with a low shot but managed to turn the ball around the post.

Just when Charlton were turning up the pressure Jervis raced away with only one defender in attendance, he took aim and fired a low 25-yard shot, Amos got a hand to the ball but couldn't keep it out. Home Park erupted for a second time!

It would be hard to select a Man of the Match because each player played well but it has to go to Jervis for his goals and incredible work rate.

Miller had a good game, he recovered from making a poor header early in the game and was steady after that.
McCormick made three fantastic saves and commanded his area and defence.
Edwards and Bradley were rock solid, Sawyer seems to have found a new lease of life and was outstanding, the left side of the team with him, Carey and Grant will cause teams a lot of problems.

Carey was everywhere, his passing radar needs a little re-calibration but what a player!
Fox was steady and kept the ball moving, Sarcevic was strong, Grant had a really good game - he's another player who never stops running.
Blissett wasn't at the same high standard at the other players but still put in a shift for the team.

Late in the game Lameiras and Ness replaced Blissett and Jervis, as soon as Nessie walked on the other players walked off because it was the final whistle!

Man of the Match: Jervis.

McCormick 8, Miller 7, Edwards 7, Bradley 7, Sawyer 8, Fox 7, Sarcevic 7, Carey 8, Jervis 9, Grant 8, Blissett 6. Subs - Lameiras 6, Ness n/a.

What a good game of football.

The only post match report I look for is Postys.

Spot on.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
Great result from a good performance. Derek Adams selection and tactics were spot-on. What a fantastic save from Luke M. The sun came out too!

Dec 2, 2010
Also good attendance yesterday - second highest after Blackburn - and a lot better than many teams in the 3,000 - 5,000 bracket. Yes, Charlton and Portsmouth were away yesterday, but if Argyle can keep this up it bodes well for home advantage and finances.

Jul 3, 2013
As soon as the team was announced you knew it was going to be a tight ship until the more attacking subs came on later in the game, Charlton were small and we exploited that with the first goal. I thought Miller also deserves some credit for the way he dealt with one of the best players in the league.

Apr 4, 2015
Excellent game played out by two decent footballing sides won by DA and his game management and tactics.

The whole team played well with special mentions for mccormick, sawyer and jake. It was the best i have seen sawyer play for us, he was absolutely motoring up and down the wing knocking some great balls into the box and gave me a bit of hope as i thought his position might be one which we would struggle with. Mccormick kept us in the game in the first half so credit where its due for him and as others have said his double save was excellent. Jake carries on from where he has left off and scores important goals at important times, he will be a very important player this season considering our struggles finding a decent CF.

Charlton played some good stuff in the first half and although we went in level at half time i think we were a bit fortunate considering mccormicks saves and some last ditch clearances etc. We did create some good chances ourselves but not as clear cut or as many as charlton so imo we were a little bit fortunate to be level at the break.

In the second half we took the lead and charlton ran out of ideas and we bossed the midfield meaning charlton didnt get as close to our goal as before and we posed more problems to theirs. Saying that we didnt score another goal to settle the nerves and it looked as though we were going to be in for the usual edge of the seat stuff for the last ten minutes until jj stepped up.

I thought the new signings looked good and i dont understand the criticism of blissett, ok he didnt score but he put himself about and did ok for me, a similar type of performance to what Taylor puts in most weeks. We are however short in attack and desperately need a goalscoring CF. DA is doing a fantastic job with the tools he has at his disposal and he won it for us today with good tactical changes at the right times aswell as well thought out substitutions, i hope he is given what he asks for before the end of the transfer window as i sense a growing feeling of frustration on his behalf.

Very good attendance aided by 1000 or so charlton fans which was a nice change from div 2 away support numbers and hopefully with performances like that plenty will be back in a fortnight. Charlton fans were bad losers though, leaving early and damaging hoardings alongwith the smokebomb directed at the linesman they did their club no credit.

A good start at home and long may it continue.