Brief Synopsis!!! (Charlton) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Charlton)

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Shoenice":hd84zwy8 said:
I thought we were reactive and lacking any tempo in the first half. Picked up in the second half but a lot of work to do. All the defenders look uncomfortable on the ball. Edwards did improve and has a passing range but Sokolik is our most composed ball playing defender. Gary Miller's distribution is awful and is simple not upto this standard.

I want to like Sarcevic but gosh he needs to improve. He simply has to contribute far more than he does or else we need to look at getting someone like Ness in.

Grant looks intelligent and recycles the ball well. Useful player. Blissett is far too nice for such a big lad. Our forwards unlike Charlton's are/were too rigid. Lacking fluidity.

Quite simple - performance devoid of any real energy or tempo initially. Lack of basic competencies and off the ball movement by the midfield. McCormick and Jervis our best players which tells you everything. Big improvement needed quite frankly. Very lucky to win.

Have to say this summary is completely off the mark.

The defenders look ok on the ball, they are not Fox or Carey but it was Edwards long ball setting up the corner for the goal, we were distributing across the park nicely from right to left.

Sarcevic was immense today, about 5 or 6 times he closed down players and won important position in the attacking third for throw ins and free kick. Loo closely how he and Fox rotated into different positions with and without the ball, there is a good partnership developing there.

I thought our confidence built as the game went on and we realised that we can challenge at this level. The tactics were spot on. Go read the Charlton forum and all their fans saying we worked them out, we were more dynamic, they need a striker and we defended well and closed down their creative players.

If your summary is this negative when we win 2-0 against a top team like Charlton, I feel you are going to be very disappointed this season. That was as about a professional complete performance as you will see. We will playe technically superior teams like Charlton this season but we out thought and in the second half out fought them today. Proud of that performance

Aug 15, 2015
Cobi Budge":2udv8zkg said:
Shoenice":2udv8zkg said:
I thought we were reactive and lacking any tempo in the first half. Picked up in the second half but a lot of work to do. All the defenders look uncomfortable on the ball. Edwards did improve and has a passing range but Sokolik is our most composed ball playing defender. Gary Miller's distribution is awful and is simple not upto this standard.

I want to like Sarcevic but gosh he needs to improve. He simply has to contribute far more than he does or else we need to look at getting someone like Ness in.

Grant looks intelligent and recycles the ball well. Useful player. Blissett is far too nice for such a big lad. Our forwards unlike Charlton's are/were too rigid. Lacking fluidity.

Quite simple - performance devoid of any real energy or tempo initially. Lack of basic competencies and off the ball movement by the midfield. McCormick and Jervis our best players which tells you everything. Big improvement needed quite frankly. Very lucky to win.

Performance devoid of energy?

You clearly weren't there.

You clearly can't read as I said initially devoid of energy. Other than a couple of chances in the first half hour, I thought our performance was stale and reactive. We were watching Charlton and Ricky Holmes as if Eastenders was on, rather than taking the game to them. Negative approach. If you look across the 90 minutes there were too many times when the ball would go square between Edwards, Bradley and Miller and back to the keeper and then an awkward clearance by one of the defenders etc. This comes down also to a lack of movement in the midfield (which is hardly surprising when you consider Fox's legs and Sarcevic's severe fitness issues). If that's your idea of an excellent performance then we've got very different tastes.

In fact to say it was an excellent performance is delusional and naive. McCormick saved our skin and only by fortune do we go home with a clean sheet tonight. Our defence are uncomfortable with the ball at feet - this was evident in the way they pressed particularly Miller & Bradley, and the manner in the haste at which they would release the ball when under pressure.

We were quite lucky to win 2-0.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
A thrilling game of football with a contrasting style from each team.

The quality of football played by both teams was a step up from League Two.

Argyle played a containing and counter attacking style of football while Charlton opted for a short passing style.
The first half was especially good with chances falling for both teams, the two keepers, McCormick and Amos, made outstanding saves to keep the score at 0-0.
We struggled with the short passing from Charlton, particularly in midfield, while Charlton couldn't handle our pace up front.

We were the better team for the second half and the first goal from Jervis knocked back Charlton and they didn't recover from this. Jervis' second goal was a brilliant solo goal and came at just the time Charlton were threatening a late equaliser.

Throughout the game the left-sided triangle of Sawyer, Carey and Grant caused all sorted of problems in attack and all three combined to shut down the left side when defending.

Charlton had a habit of falling down or blatent diving, something that might earn some of their players a retrospective two game ban under the new rules for this season.

A win, a great performance and we finally spotted Nessie roaming in his natural habitat! What a day!

Threlkeld was missing through injury so Miller came in at right-back, otherwise it was the expected team.
The new kit had plenty of white and no excuse not to get noticed.

Two early excellent Sawyer crosses caused problems in the Charlton six yard box, with Jervis and then Blissett just failing to get a stretched toe onto the ball.

After those two chances the game settled down to Charlton having the ball and passing it around the team while we were content to sit back and play on the break.

McCormick made a fantastic double save just when it looked like Charlton would take the lead, his second save pushed the ball onto the woodwork.

At the other end Sawyer had a right-foot shot well saved and a Carey free-kick sailed over the bar.

The Argyle defence pushed a further 10 yards up the pitch to close the space in midfield and this stopped Charlton dominating the midfield area.

We didn't use the zonal system when defending corners for this game so it looks like this system has either been ditched or tactics will change game to game.

The Charlton players had a clear tactic of trying to unsettle McCormick when he had the ball by running across him or dragging him back. The weak referee allowed this to continue.
The half continued end to end and it could have been 3-3 at 3.45pm, instead it was one of the best 0-0 halves seen in a long time.

We grabbed an early second half goal which knocked the stuffing out of Charlton, although they still continued to fall down as though shot by that mysterious sniper in the stands.
Carey's wand of a left foot found Edwards at the far post from a corner, he headed the back down and there was Jervis to back heel home from close range. Home Park erupted!

We sat back again, contained the Charlton Olympic diving team and played on the counter-attack.

Carey had a long range shot whistle just wide, it would have been a contender for goal of the season if that had gone in.

McCormick was struggling with a low shot but managed to turn the ball around the post.

Just when Charlton were turning up the pressure Jervis raced away with only one defender in attendance, he took aim and fired a low 25-yard shot, Amos got a hand to the ball but couldn't keep it out. Home Park erupted for a second time!

It would be hard to select a Man of the Match because each player played well but it has to go to Jervis for his goals and incredible work rate.

Miller had a good game, he recovered from making a poor header early in the game and was steady after that.
McCormick made three fantastic saves and commanded his area and defence.
Edwards and Bradley were rock solid, Sawyer seems to have found a new lease of life and was outstanding, the left side of the team with him, Carey and Grant will cause teams a lot of problems.

Carey was everywhere, his passing radar needs a little re-calibration but what a player!
Fox was steady and kept the ball moving, Sarcevic was strong, Grant had a really good game - he's another player who never stops running.
Blissett wasn't at the same high standard at the other players but still put in a shift for the team.

Late in the game Lameiras and Ness replaced Blissett and Jervis, as soon as Nessie walked on the other players walked off because it was the final whistle!

Man of the Match: Jervis.

McCormick 8, Miller 7, Edwards 7, Bradley 7, Sawyer 8, Fox 7, Sarcevic 7, Carey 8, Jervis 9, Grant 8, Blissett 6. Subs - Lameiras 6, Ness n/a.

What a good game of football.

Aug 15, 2015
Steve Evans":2gy9913y said:
Shoenice":2gy9913y said:

sokolik wasn't playing mate!

I didn't say he was. I said he's our best footballing defender and there's a lack of composure with the ball at feet in therest of our defence.

Nov 16, 2006
Shoenice":1ym2s9mf said:
Cobi Budge":1ym2s9mf said:
Shoenice":1ym2s9mf said:

Performance devoid of energy?

You clearly weren't there.

You clearly can't read as I said initially devoid of energy. Other than a couple of chances in the first half hour, I thought our performance was stale and reactive. We were watching Charlton and Ricky Holmes as if Eastenders was on, rather than taking the game to them. Negative approach. If you look across the 90 minutes there were too many times when the ball would go square between Edwards, Bradley and Miller and back to the keeper and then an awkward clearance by one of the defenders etc. This comes down also to a lack of movement in the midfield (which is hardly surprising when you consider Fox's legs and Sarcevic's severe fitness issues). If that's your idea of an excellent performance then we've got very different tastes.

In fact to say it was an excellent performance is delusional and naive. McCormick saved our skin and only by fortune do we go home with a clean sheet tonight. Our defence are uncomfortable with the ball at feet - this was evident in the way they pressed particularly Miller & Bradley, and the manner in the haste at which they would release the ball when under pressure.

We were quite lucky to win 2-0.

All about opinions but genuinely amazed at mention of Sarcevic's "severe fitness issues". Thought he was slimmer than last season and fantastic in the second half especially, getting through a huge amount of running/closing down etc. Anything but unfit to me.

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Koala Green":308o4me0 said:
Shoenice":308o4me0 said:

The defenders look ok on the ball, they are not Fox or Carey but it was Edwards long ball setting up the corner for the goal, we were distributing across the park nicely from right to left.

Sarcevic was immense today, about 5 or 6 times he closed down players and won important position in the attacking third for throw ins and free kick. Loo closely how he and Fox rotated into different positions with and without the ball, there is a good partnership developing there.

I thought our confidence built as the game went on and we realised that we can challenge at this level. The tactics were spot on. Go read the Charlton forum and all their fans saying we worked them out, we were more dynamic, they need a striker and we defended well and closed down their creative players.

If your summary is this negative when we win 2-0 against a top team like Charlton, I feel you are going to be very disappointed this season. That was as about a professional complete performance as you will see. We will playe technically superior teams like Charlton this season but we out thought and in the second half out fought them today. Proud of that performance

Totally agree.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion but I think there will be very few people at the game today who will agree

Jun 11, 2012
Superb result. Charlton are a very good side.

McCormick - 8
Miller - 6
Edwards - 7
Bradley - 7
Sawyer - 7
Fox - 7
Sarcevic - 7
Carey - 8
Jervis - 8
Grant - 7
Blissett - 6

Season starts here!

Aug 15, 2015
Andy in Peverell":1dynlyta said:
Koala Green":1dynlyta said:
Shoenice":1dynlyta said:

Totally agree.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion but I think there will be very few people at the game today who will agree

It really depends how you define performance. That performance was reasonable but lacking in quality. I thought we were fortunate to win 2-0 and didn't dominate Charlton in any way that would reflect a 2-0 scoreline. Charlton played most of the football and were most comfortable with the ball. A good performance to me is a game where we dominate the opposition. I don't think that was ever the case, summed up by Adams bringing Lamieras on and putting all 11 men behind the ball with 10/15 minutes to go. I honestly think Adams was being over cautious after our 5-0 defeat in the week. If we continue to set out like that at home, we will get punished. Let's wait and see.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Frank_Butcher":23u6ki34 said:
I was really impressed with Charlton in the first-half - whilst broadly even on chances, they demonstrated far more quality and control. We were thankful for McCormick and Edwards' interventions to go in level.

I felt that we pressed the ball noticeably harder after half-time. Sarcevic, Carey, Fox and Grant (who's workrate wasn't good enough in the first 45) were all over their midfield when they had the ball. This forced errors and gradually we took the ascendency. It wouldn't be Argyle if we didn't have the customary 15 minutes at the end of playing too deep, but that did at least leave space for Jervis' breakaway goal.

I thought the central defensive partnership looked promising and Sawyer all round was excellent. But Jervis gets the nod for MoM with his two goals.

Great result against a team I fancy to be up there come May.

This is a good summary for me. Especially re the pressing.
Side point, Argyle should be very useful from set pieces again, possibly more so than last season

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Shoenice":11ce98ak said:
Andy in Peverell":11ce98ak said:
Koala Green":11ce98ak said:
Shoenice":11ce98ak said:

Totally agree.

It really depends how you define performance. That performance was reasonable but lacking in quality. I thought we were fortunate to win 2-0 and didn't dominate Charlton in any way that would reflect a 2-0 scoreline. Charlton played most of the football and were most comfortable with the ball. A good performance to me is a game where we dominate the opposition. I don't think that was ever the case, summed up by Adams bringing Lamieras on and putting all 11 men behind the ball with 10/15 minutes to go. I honestly think Adams was being over cautious after our 5-0 defeat in the week. If we continue to set out like that at home, we will get punished. Let's wait and see.

I get where your coming from but being comfortable on the ball and dominating possession means nothing unless there's an end product.
Arsenal are always the best footballing team in the prem but haven't got close to winning the league in years.
We worked hard and got the vital first goal and the longer it went on the more comfortable it was.

Aug 15, 2015
Andy in Peverell":1ntaruro said:
Shoenice":1ntaruro said:
Andy in Peverell":1ntaruro said:
Koala Green":1ntaruro said:
Shoenice":1ntaruro said:

Totally agree.

I get where your coming from but being comfortable on the ball and dominating possession means nothing unless there's an end product.
Arsenal are always the best footballing team in the prem but haven't got close to winning the league in years.
We worked hard and got the vital first goal and the longer it went on the more comfortable it was.

That's Charlton's problem. What happens when other teams come here with more potency upfront? If we look to sit deep, soak up pressure and try hit on the break with one man up top, a positionally rigid front three and our inept distribution from the back line - then we will lose more often than not.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Thoroughly enjoyable performance all around the pitch.

Luke - 8 - Best double save he’s ever made for sure.
Miller - 7 - A few too many needless fouls but otherwise solid.
Edwards - 8 - No nonsense defender, defended well.
Bradley - 7 - Standard.
Sawyer - 8 - was worried about him moving to L1. On this evidence I shouldn’t be, was excellent against some quick forward players.
Fox - 7 - Standard.
Carey - 7 - Seems to be a bit more combative than last season. Playing too deep at times, but a good performance.
Sarcevic - 8 - Thought he was excellent. Work rate exceptional, particularly second half.
Grant - 7 - Movement in the first half wasn’t great, but got much better second half.
Jervis - 8 - Such a great outlet for us. Great performance.
Blissett - 6 - Hassled, worked hard, lacked quality.

Mar 23, 2008
A great team performance in a very entertaining game. Two great goals by the under-rated JJ and Edwards had a storming game, him and Sonny look seriously solid.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Dalton Is God":k29sawkn said:
Mark Pedlar":k29sawkn said:
1) And so to the first home game of the season. Good to see a good turn out from an away team that wasn't within 130 miles of Central Park. Surprised that Lameiras didn't start and the bench revealed the sparsity of talent to play up front.

2) Charlton dominated possession and their passing was a class above Argyle's. Luckily their number 9 missed two golden opportunities from set pieces whilst McCormick made a great save to keep the scores level and another that put him as the sand out player of the first half. The quality of Charlton play was off-set by a whole new level of diving and game play.

3) At the other end Argyle created a few good opportunities. A cross from Jervis that neither Blissett or Grant could get a touch to and a Carey free-kick that wasn't close enough to bother the keeper were the pick, although the goalie was brought into use by a couple of shots too.

4) Half-time with both sides on the attack - a Miller attacking header just over followed by a Charlton counter-attack. Miller had a solid first 45 and was unlucky to be booked for what was clearly a dive by the Charlton 11. Good halves for Sawyer, Fox, Sarcevic Jervis. Blissett not quite at the races but he was living off scraps. Carey wasteful in possession.

5) The second started with more Charlton possession but McCormick's kick down field was chased on by Blissett and Jervis. The Charlton defender conceded and Carey's corner was headed down by Edwards and Jervis finished.

6) As he half wore on Argyle began to look tired and it felt like fresh legs were needed. Charlton kept possession well all game and Argyle spent a lot of the game chasing. Grant and Jervis worked hard defensively as well as running a lot of channel balls. A Charlton player went down in the box. It was either a penalty or a booking for diving - the ref gave neither.

7) Into the last 15 and Argyle were sat far too deep. We needed to get up the pitch further but Blissett had neither he pace or guile to hold the ball up. Lameiras replaced Blissett, initially he went up front, surely he wouldn't stay there? Lameiras it was though that won the ball back twice on the edge of our area before setting Jervis on his way for a solo run which ended with keeper being unable to stop his shot from going into the corner to double the lead.

8 ) Charlton will probably feel they did enough to take at least a point. They found McCormick in form and a stubborn Argyle defence. For Argyle it was another lesson in the step up in quality and also that there is still no substitute for all round pace and quality finishing.

9) Into injury time and Argyle spent more time defending. Charlton got more desperate but couldn't find the ball that would open the defence. They resorted to lumping balls in which was never going to be effective. No time for Ness to touch the ball as Jervis was subbed in the 94th minute. A good win and we're on our way.

Luke McCormick - 9
Gary Miller - 7
Ryan Edwards - 8
Sonny Bradley - 7
Gary Sawyer - 7
David Fox - 8
Antoni Sarcevic - 8
Graham Carey - 7
Joel Grant - 8
Jake Jervis -9
Nathan Bissett - 4

Roberrt Te Loeke - unused