Brief Synopsis!!! (Charlton) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Charlton)

Aug 15, 2015
Most of their comments are about lacking a clinical striker. Linked with Godden of Stevenage at £1.5 million.

C

Charles Plym

Dalton Is God":5c9aav5v said:
Mark Pedlar":5c9aav5v said:
1) And so to the first home game of the season. Good to see a good turn out from an away team that wasn't within 130 miles of Central Park. Surprised that Lameiras didn't start and the bench revealed the sparsity of talent to play up front.

2) Charlton dominated possession and their passing was a class above Argyle's. Luckily their number 9 missed two golden opportunities from set pieces whilst McCormick made a great save to keep the scores level and another that put him as the sand out player of the first half. The quality of Charlton play was off-set by a whole new level of diving and game play.

3) At the other end Argyle created a few good opportunities. A cross from Jervis that neither Blissett or Grant could get a touch to and a Carey free-kick that wasn't close enough to bother the keeper were the pick, although the goalie was brought into use by a couple of shots too.

4) Half-time with both sides on the attack - a Miller attacking header just over followed by a Charlton counter-attack. Miller had a solid first 45 and was unlucky to be booked for what was clearly a dive by the Charlton 11. Good halves for Sawyer, Fox, Sarcevic Jervis. Blissett not quite at the races but he was living off scraps. Carey wasteful in possession.

5) The second started with more Charlton possession but McCormick's kick down field was chased on by Blissett and Jervis. The Charlton defender conceded and Carey's corner was headed down by Edwards and Jervis finished.

6) As he half wore on Argyle began to look tired and it felt like fresh legs were needed. Charlton kept possession well all game and Argyle spent a lot of the game chasing. Grant and Jervis worked hard defensively as well as running a lot of channel balls. A Charlton player went down in the box. It was either a penalty or a booking for diving - the ref gave neither.

7) Into the last 15 and Argyle were sat far too deep. We needed to get up the pitch further but Blissett had neither he pace or guile to hold the ball up. Lameiras replaced Blissett, initially he went up front, surely he wouldn't stay there? Lameiras it was though that won the ball back twice on the edge of our area before setting Jervis on his way for a solo run which ended with keeper being unable to stop his shot from going into the corner to double the lead.

8 ) Charlton will probably feel they did enough to take at least a point. They found McCormick in form and a stubborn Argyle defence. For Argyle it was another lesson in the step up in quality and also that there is still no substitute for all round pace and quality finishing.

9) Into injury time and Argyle spent more time defending. Charlton got more desperate but couldn't find the ball that would open the defence. They resorted to lumping balls in which was never going to be effective. No time for Ness to touch the ball as Jervis was subbed in the 94th minute. A good win and we're on our way.

Luke McCormick - 9
Gary Miller - 7
Ryan Edwards - 8
Sonny Bradley - 7
Gary Sawyer - 7
David Fox - 8
Antoni Sarcevic - 8
Graham Carey - 7
Joel Grant - 8
Jake Jervis -9
Nathan Bissett - 4

Roberrt Te Loeke - unused
Yann Songo'o - unused
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - unused
Jamie Ness - 5
Lionel Ainsworth - unused
Ruben Lameiras - 6
Gregg Wylde - unused

Was Blissett really that bad?
No he wasnt he worked his socks off and 4 is insulting and disgraceful .!!!!!!

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
I thought too that Charlton would have played in Red.They are a good side and are expected to make the play offs by a lot of punters. It was good to see more football being played rather than kick and rush style of league division 2.Although Charlton players do like a "dive" despite the new laws on diving this season which the ref seemed to ignore. Superluke lived up to his name and on this form will be one of the standout goalkeepers in this division,and Jake does what Jake does best and scores goals.A most enjoyable afternoon in front of a crowd of over 11K (take note X'Y) janners do come out and support their team. in fact the second best crowd in league one and two.,,,It would be nice to think that the revenue will be spent on team strengthening....

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Just got back with a sense of satisfaction over the score line. Given the first 15 minutes or so, when Charlton gave an exhibition of quick possesion football, the result was very welcome. It proved to be a contrast in tactics over the 90 minutes with DA's men happy to fall back getting behind the ball, frustrating Charlton's more adept ball players, whilst Argyle sought opportunities for a quick break forward. I just wondered how it would have worked out if Charlton had been less attack minded.

There are some weaknesses to be strengthened, but it would be churlish to focus on them tonight with the first 3 points scored on door. It was interesting to see the tall JJ up against who must be the smallest full back in the Football League. I wonder if DA had considered this probability when selecting his starting eleven.

It is upwards and onwards to next week, with confidence.

May 16, 2016
I was worried before this game that we'd be shown how big a jump in quality this League might be. After the first 20 or so minutes I saw two teams demonstrating why they are in L1. One because they were better than the majority of the Teams they played last Season and the other because they weren't.

Without regurgitating all the in depth reports already written, I'd add that I thought Charlton aren't without their flaws (as are we) and our pressing game in the Second Half made them run out of ideas, hope and a fair amount of energy. May not have had most possession but a couple of scares apart, the tactics were spot on.
We're not perfect, but based on what I've seen so far, my pre season apprehension was misplaced. Hopefully my bottom third prediction will be wrong and this season will be an enjoyable one.

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
So here we go again, strap in and hold on for the ride!

1) opening day defeat, check.
2) bad Round one EFL Cup defeat, check
3) Unlikely confidence restoring win at home to a fancied side. check!

I've come to finally realise that its going to be like this under Adams, losing at home every Tuesday fixture to some minnow, frustrating early cup exits (Liverpool last season excepted), but also beating teams you didn't expect to beat and season on season moving up the table...

I guess Adam's team is a fair representation of what following Argyle has always been like! NOT a cup team, usually slow starters, frustrating defeats against struggling opposition, but also inspiring victories when not expected, against teams who on paper are better......!! More grey hairs methinks before end of May 2018! But well done for today and what a great crowd...really superb support, when measured against the opening home day gates in previous post promotion seasons in the third tier of the league!!!

Jun 27, 2017
Amazing how different people can see a game. I can't pick a man of match as they were all excellent. Blissett gets a lot of stick but i thought he put in a shift today and certainly deserves more praise - he was given a good ovation when he went off so maybe others do appreciate what he did.

Charlton looked decent, especially first half, but Argyles work rate and game plan got us the 3 points. Great double save by Luke which seemed to spur everyone on.

Only annoyance for me was the poor choice of kit used by Charlton. Their red kit would have made it alot easier to watch. Why use an away kit when home doesn't clash????

Not a bad day if that is all i can complain about.

ming the merciless":28yt9c8i said:
Great result for us against a team that oozed quality. In truth charlton could have been out of sight at half time. A neutral would have thought we were the away side in the first half. Fortunately our defense was on its game and Luke had a blinder. I thought we set up the only we we could with what we have and looked to contain and counter. Had Charlton gone in front I reckon we may have struggled. We look short on quality going forward with a lot of our players not comfortable moving the ball around. Although that's probably unfair. I thought Blisset was poor but a couple of charlton fans I got chatting with thought he was really good which left me thinking what do I know. I'm over the moon with the way today went. There will be plenty of teams nowhere near as capable as Charlton are. Finding a way to beat them without playing very well is a very good sign. Our aim has got to be stay in this league for now. Over time perhaps we can add quality and evolve the football style a little and still be effective.

This for me. Chuffed to bits this evening

Shoenice should read this ... "setting up to suit what we have available" maybe he hasn't watched what we've had or not had available over the last few yrs ...

Aug 2, 2011
Good flowing game played by both sides. Charlton had a bit more quality on the ball but we took our chances and that is what counts. Amazed that someone scored Blissett a 4 - makes me wonder if they actually were at the game. Not saying he was fantastic but a 4 come on that is crazy.

We played well at Peterborough and were unlucky not to have picked up a point. Showed today we can hold our own against one of the higher rated teams in this division.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Great result and a good team performance in a decent game of football.
Charlton had their chances with their No 9 squandering a few clear goal opportunities.

Fine margins at this level. 2 quality finishes from JJ and 2 fantastic saves from Super Luke made all the difference.
Charlton are useful and will be disappointed they didn't get a draw. On another day they could of won just like us last week at Peterborough.

Without getting carried away 2 games in I'm confident we will at least STAY UP

P

Positively Green

"Without getting carried away 2 games in I'm confident we will at least STAY UP"

If that is the outcome of this season in League 1 - I will be happy.

Sheer bliss. Back at HP again. Soaking up the atmosphere in our beloved home.
Tis the centre of the universe on match days make no mistake.
And that centre is looking pretty darn good too on this performance.
A nice big crowd to enjoy all the fun and frolics as well, though i guess the large CAFC support
would disagree with that point of view. They played their part though in entertaining the 11k crowd.
They did have a lot of talented players which they showed a plenty when on the ball.
We won the game though by doing what we are very good at. By being very strong and determined at the back
and countering quickly, with at times today, some genuine quality ourselves. Which was the most pleasing bit for me.
I thought the change to 4141 suited us for this game and possibly others to come as we are bound to
come up against more teams like this with more quality than we experienced against us in the 4th tier.
We have to stop them playing first.
Puliseque in a way but this time we win games by playing much better football.
I thought it was a similar gameplan as the liverpool games last season. This time though we countered
far more effectively and created numerous more chances as we were up against obviously weaker opponents.
All of the team had good games. Nate bliss led the line well. joel grant has an excellent first touch in
his repertoire and like all the team worked really hard to keep in a good defensive shape.
JJ was awesome on the right scoring 2 totally different, but well taken goals. Both in the
2nd half as argyle raised their game and pressured more mistakes from CAFC.
The first, and always, crucial one was a cheeky back heel from a ryan edwards knock down from a carey
floated corner. Then he gazelled away on a counter down the centre smashing home to the keepers right.
GC10 and antony sarcevic worked hard keeping it tight first half but in the second half they came much
more into it and got forward to support.
Foxy was his usual playmaker self pulling all the strings in the centre of the middle trio.
The defenders all had good games winning tackles and headers when it mattered. The 2 gary FBs were steady
especially in the first 20 when CAFC threatened the most. The 2 big guys look pretty imposing and they
played that way too albeit with plenty of protection in front. We know all about sonni but ryan looks
like he has been chiselled out of the same dartmoor granite too.
My MOM though goes to skipper luke today as it was still a tight game and his saves at crucial times
gave the team the opportunity to win the game. His double save in the first half was simply brilliant
and along with his safe handling steadied our ship when it was needed. They say keepers get better with
age and super luke proved that point today.
Highlight of the match for me was another GC10 35 yard bullet fired by what seemed like nuclear fusion.
It just whistled past their keepers upright before he could move.
The biggest laugh was their number 11 holmes free kick effort which had the opposite velocity to GC10s.
A babbie could kick it harder than that.
Whatever, this was a fine win and must give everybody connected with argyle a massive boost in confidence
for the long season ahead. Geddon the argyle boys. :scarf: