Booking fees on Tickets | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Booking fees on Tickets

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
FourMarksGreen":2jo8alkx said:
I emailed Nicki Errington, Ticket Office Manager, asking for clarification about the booking fee applied to White Membership match tickets.

I received the following reply, which I'll post here as there was nothing confidential about the email exchange. Quote:

"Booking fees have always been applied for phone or internet bookings due to the additional admin involved with the processing of the tickets.
The decision was taken this year that this fee would apply to all bookings made in this way.

Kind regards" etc

One thing I don't understand about additional admin costs. If you book 4 tickets online, why is the administration of that transaction four times greater than if you bought one?

A Question though.... Do you pay P&P per ticket or per transaction, when assumingly they all go in the same envelope.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Lundan Cabbie":yv9yy8a9 said:
FourMarksGreen":yv9yy8a9 said:
I emailed Nicki Errington, Ticket Office Manager, asking for clarification about the booking fee applied to White Membership match tickets.

I received the following reply, which I'll post here as there was nothing confidential about the email exchange. Quote:

"Booking fees have always been applied for phone or internet bookings due to the additional admin involved with the processing of the tickets.
The decision was taken this year that this fee would apply to all bookings made in this way.

Kind regards" etc

Nope you don't but it's cheaper for me to pay the extra £2 per ticket now on the day for away games then get them posted up
From that football league survey I reckon if you live miles awaybin this country you maybe able to access home games on internet soon so as to milk as much as they can so won't be an issue

One thing I don't understand about additional admin costs. If you book 4 tickets online, why is the administration of that transaction four times greater than if you bought one?

A Question though.... Do you pay P&P per ticket or per transaction, when assumingly they all go in the same envelope.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
SwimWithTheTide":1vug5qtq said:
Argy1e":1vug5qtq said:
Lundan Cabbie":1vug5qtq said:
Graham Clark":1vug5qtq said:
It seems as though booking fees for match tickets are now very much the norm and they do vary significantly. Arsenal for example charge a £1.65 online booking fee for members whereas Bradford City, by contrast, charge £2. So Argyle are very much at the lower end of such charges.

When looking at booking for tickets at the Plymouth Pavilions I was surprised to learn that a 10% booking fee would be charged on all tickets over £15. There was also a 'Fulfillment Fee' to pay. Given the cost of tickets for high profile acts that is quite a cost. On looking as to what might justify this, the terms and conditions on the Pavilions website states,

"Booking fees have become an industry standard necessity at commercial venues like the Pavilions." It then continues,
"The booking fee is a vital part of our business and ensures that we continue to offer the best customer service, operating a modern and efficient Box Office service."

Perhaps the above statement may be relevant to decisions taken in relation booking fees at the Home Park box office. The Pavilions tickets are sold by Ticket Store (who I think also did MTV Crashes). Ticket Store is part of South West Ticket Solutions Limited. Two of the three Directors of that company are James Brent and Martyn Starnes.

The principal activity of South West Ticket Solutions Limited, according to their accounts, is that of a 'ticketing agency'. According to those accounts recharges of £28,111 (in 2014) and £41,890 (2015) were made to PAFC Ltd for the 'provision of accountancy services'. There is no explanation in the accounts as to what this actually means. The turnover of the company in 2015 was £286,660. All this information is in the public domain.

It looks as though booking fees (and perhaps even a fulfillment fee) will be a way of further increasing income in the future. Changes of policy on the implementation of increased fees on various forms of ticket sales will always irk and frustrate supporters and they need to be accompanied with an clear explanation, from the Club, as to why, and in what circumstances. Otherwise there will be continued undue pressure on the hardworking box office staff to explain and their job is difficult enough as it is.

Perhaps it is time for greater clarity on the relationship of the Club with Ticketmaster and possibly even, South West Ticket Solutions Limited, so when a booking fee (or any other fee for that matter) is paid there is greater certainty as to who, ultimately, is the beneficiary and why.

Well not everywhere. After reading this thread I'm rather proud that at Palace there are no extras charges at all. No additional charge for match day purchases (not that there are many left come the day), no booking fees, no charges for collection or printing at home and not even a charge for having tickets posted to a UK adddress.
No, but when you have to pay £25 before you can even buy a ticket, asking for more on top would be a bit ridiculous.

I paid £120.00 for my membership to buy tickets and I'm being asked to pay more on top...

Fair play to Palace. Small gestures like this can be appreciated. I certainly appreciated it before, I'm disappointed it's not been explained why it's been taken away.
I know and I wasn't overly pleased finding out having spent £90 for mine. The point was that's for six games whereas the Palace 'membership' is to be able to buy any tickets. LC's explained there's other benefits to that, which is fair enough, but if you'd paid £25 before getting your membership to get free postage and no transaction fee you'd pay about £11 more.

At the end of the day though, it shouldn't be a massive issue. How many times are we going to sell out this season? One maybe. You could get your ticket from the ticket office on the day and you'd be fine with no transaction fee or postage charge. Portsmouth is the one I'd imagine could sell out and you could always buy your ticket for that game whilst down for another game so again, no postage fee and no transaction fee. It's not ideal. But we're not going to be selling out games so there really is no need to pay the postage and transaction fees.

Mar 10, 2017
Ipplepen
Are we saying the booking fee is indirectly going into James and martins pockets ? As a white member who doesn't live near to the ground it does feel we are being penalised by these new charges.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Argy1e":1pcowcoj said:
SwimWithTheTide":1pcowcoj said:
Argy1e":1pcowcoj said:
Lundan Cabbie":1pcowcoj said:
Graham Clark":1pcowcoj said:
It seems as though booking fees for match tickets are now very much the norm and they do vary significantly. Arsenal for example charge a £1.65 online booking fee for members whereas Bradford City, by contrast, charge £2. So Argyle are very much at the lower end of such charges.

When looking at booking for tickets at the Plymouth Pavilions I was surprised to learn that a 10% booking fee would be charged on all tickets over £15. There was also a 'Fulfillment Fee' to pay. Given the cost of tickets for high profile acts that is quite a cost. On looking as to what might justify this, the terms and conditions on the Pavilions website states,

"Booking fees have become an industry standard necessity at commercial venues like the Pavilions." It then continues,
"The booking fee is a vital part of our business and ensures that we continue to offer the best customer service, operating a modern and efficient Box Office service."

Perhaps the above statement may be relevant to decisions taken in relation booking fees at the Home Park box office. The Pavilions tickets are sold by Ticket Store (who I think also did MTV Crashes). Ticket Store is part of South West Ticket Solutions Limited. Two of the three Directors of that company are James Brent and Martyn Starnes.

The principal activity of South West Ticket Solutions Limited, according to their accounts, is that of a 'ticketing agency'. According to those accounts recharges of £28,111 (in 2014) and £41,890 (2015) were made to PAFC Ltd for the 'provision of accountancy services'. There is no explanation in the accounts as to what this actually means. The turnover of the company in 2015 was £286,660. All this information is in the public domain.

It looks as though booking fees (and perhaps even a fulfillment fee) will be a way of further increasing income in the future. Changes of policy on the implementation of increased fees on various forms of ticket sales will always irk and frustrate supporters and they need to be accompanied with an clear explanation, from the Club, as to why, and in what circumstances. Otherwise there will be continued undue pressure on the hardworking box office staff to explain and their job is difficult enough as it is.

Perhaps it is time for greater clarity on the relationship of the Club with Ticketmaster and possibly even, South West Ticket Solutions Limited, so when a booking fee (or any other fee for that matter) is paid there is greater certainty as to who, ultimately, is the beneficiary and why.

Well not everywhere. After reading this thread I'm rather proud that at Palace there are no extras charges at all. No additional charge for match day purchases (not that there are many left come the day), no booking fees, no charges for collection or printing at home and not even a charge for having tickets posted to a UK adddress.
No, but when you have to pay £25 before you can even buy a ticket, asking for more on top would be a bit ridiculous.

I paid £120.00 for my membership to buy tickets and I'm being asked to pay more on top...

Fair play to Palace. Small gestures like this can be appreciated. I certainly appreciated it before, I'm disappointed it's not been explained why it's been taken away.
I know and I wasn't overly pleased finding out having spent £90 for mine. The point was that's for six games whereas the Palace 'membership' is to be able to buy any tickets. LC's explained there's other benefits to that, which is fair enough, but if you'd paid £25 before getting your membership to get free postage and no transaction fee you'd pay about £11 more.

At the end of the day though, it shouldn't be a massive issue. How many times are we going to sell out this season? One maybe. You could get your ticket from the ticket office on the day and you'd be fine with no transaction fee or postage charge. Portsmouth is the one I'd imagine could sell out and you could always buy your ticket for that game whilst down for another game so again, no postage fee and no transaction fee. It's not ideal. But we're not going to be selling out games so there really is no need to pay the postage and transaction fees.

Exiles? Cornish? You seem to think the 10k all come from Plymouth ! We know that tag is likely to only be 5 or 6k !

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
edengreen":3cgfad9b said:
Argy1e":3cgfad9b said:
SwimWithTheTide":3cgfad9b said:
Argy1e":3cgfad9b said:
Lundan Cabbie":3cgfad9b said:
Graham Clark":3cgfad9b said:

Exiles? Cornish? You seem to think the 10k all come from Plymouth ! We know that tag is likely to only be 5 or 6k !
That's not what I said at all. I said you could buy your ticket on the day of the game. You could travel from anywhere and get to Home Park before kick off on the day of the game to get your ticket.

Dec 29, 2011
As someone who lives in London and will (health permitting etc) go to all 23 away games with my disabled son, this is an extra levy of £62.10 a season, if I have to phone up and book each time or go online(Not an amount to be swept under the carpet I feel).A one off booking fee for each transaction would be fairer if it has to be charged

P

Positively Green

The Night Riveria":15glwcrh said:
As someone who lives in London and will (health permitting etc) go to all 23 away games with my disabled son, this is an extra levy of £62.10 a season, if I have to phone up and book each time or go online(Not an amount to be swept under the carpet I feel).A one off booking fee for each transaction would be fairer if it has to be charged

So Argyle help the disabled fans attend games by giving a ticket free of charge to the accompanying carer (who may be a friend, relative or paid carer) but the ticketing company have decided to continue to take their commission and put an obstacle in the way of some disabled people who are supported by paid staff.

Who pays the £1.35 charge? The care worker (on a very low wage), the disabled person (possibly on benefits and are already paying their own £1.35 charge so will be paying double) or the Care Home (unlikely to happen with current cutbacks/austerity measures in the care sector)?

This does not reflect well on the Ticketing Company.

I agree with the post above...

"A one off booking fee for each transaction would be fairer if it has to be charged".

Jul 1, 2006
This ="A one off booking fee for each transaction would be fairer if it has to be charged".

A policy to charge per ticket + postage is simply Wrong.

KFA

Apr 4, 2012
Plymouth
Just guessing but maybe Ticketmaster contract requires all tickets not sold in person to be charged same booking fee as they charge to ensure they have a level playing field? Imagine if no fee charged by phoning club but £1-35 per ticket charged on line. How many would buy on line! So Ticketmaster would not make money and club ticket office would be engulfed leading to longer delays ( and poor service complaints) or more staff employed at higher cost to club with no extra income.

P

Positively Green

KFA":1e3the1d said:
Just guessing but maybe Ticketmaster contract requires all tickets not sold in person to be charged same booking fee as they charge to ensure they have a level playing field? Imagine if no fee charged by phoning club but £1-35 per ticket charged on line. How many would buy on line! So Ticketmaster would not make money and club ticket office would be engulfed leading to longer delays ( and poor service complaints) or more staff employed at higher cost to club with no extra income.

This may well lead to bigger queues at Home Park Box Office on match days (fans getting tickets for future games whilst there so no charge per ticket). We will see.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Ipplepen green":3chr73lh said:
Are we saying the booking fee is indirectly going into James and martins pockets ?

Perhaps the above answers that question (if it really was one).

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's very rare for the club to comment on internet forum posts so it must be serious.